looking for aussiefroggers living between Kings Lynn and Manchester
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: looking for aussiefroggers living between Kings Lynn and Manchester

Default looking for aussiefroggers living between Kings Lynn and Manchester

As the title says:

Time to 'fess up! I bought one of the Patrick Rugg Citroens at last Saturdays auctions.
    No! Not the Prestige, unfortunately, as my wife wouldn't let me.

I did buy the 'Familaile' - and for a very good reason. Well! Good enough for my wife to agree and give the OK.

When the post was made about the ACA auction and the dispersal of Patrick Ruggs collection I was curious and went onto the web to have a look. While doing that, somehow or another I came across an item here
    Dutch CitroŽn club recreating 1974 CX press drive | Ran When Parked

What an interesting trip that would be. As we were visiting Eire and due to fly back on the 25th August I started to think about extending our stay in Europe, join the Raid Arctique, and then fly home from Paris. But, to join the Raid I needed a CX. Damn! I would need to buy one (another) as it would be too expensive to ship one of mine to Europe, and back again.

Much mulling it over. Some conversation with my wife and she was attracted to the thought of visiting the Arctic Circle and the re-enactment on the 40th Anniversary - visiting some of the places we'd never been was the main attraction I think.

Anyhow, it lead to me bidding and acquiring the car at the auction. Would you believe that the only car to exceed the ACA price guide was the 'Familiale' - on the phone I could hear two other bidders push the price up until they stopped. Thats where I came in and competed with the one original bidder left in the picture.

looking for aussiefroggers living between Kings Lynn and Manchester-dsc_7148.jpglooking for aussiefroggers living between Kings Lynn and Manchester-dsc_7158.jpglooking for aussiefroggers living between Kings Lynn and Manchester-familiale2014.jpg

Why did I choose that car? It had major restoration work done in the late 1990s - some 12,000 pounds worth. It was a car that Patrick Rugg had held onto. It was described as being in good condition. So, I now own the car ... but

There is always a 'BUT' isn't there!

Advertisement

I need some help to insure and store the car until I arrive at the end of June. I've found someone who will give me an address to insure the car to. But they don't have anywhere to keep the car.

What I now need is some kind soul to help me move the car and store it somewhere safe. If I leave it at ACA it will cost me upward of 350 pounds ($700) in storage costs. Having it carriered to Manchester is 185 pounds ($370) so I was hoping to find a frogger/froggers who might be willing to help me. Perhaps the car could be relayed from Kings Lynn to safe parking around Manchester. If I'm extremely lucky a frogger might be able to do the move in one go.

So I need:
    1. a driver/drivers to shift the car - careful and gentle would be the requirement and previous experience with a CX as a bonus
    2. a safe storage around Manchester for around 10 weeks

Why Manchester? I would fly into Manchester from Perth. Pick the car up and check it over before heading to Holyhead and the ferry to Dublin. Once in Eire I can deal with any issues (I've been told by Patrick that he is unaware of any and that the last time he drove it it was a thirty mile trip) and have six weeks of 'shakedown' before heading off to the Arctic Circle to join the Dutch CXers.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate an email or PM
    Last edited by rmac; 8th April 2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added pics
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Ask Chris from Team WFA - he might have some ideas.

You really need to be on one of the UK forums.

Thanks addo - I have joined CCC UK so that I can access their whole forum and site but haven't received a membership number to complete the process. When I do I will ask there.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Try French Car Forum, also Handyman (who is an irregular member here) may have some ideas.

Fellow Frogger!

Rmac...congratulations & well done!

digressing slightly taking with a guy today who has a mate who goes to Europe every year for about four and a half months and tours around Europe with his wife in a camper van which they bought and store in Europe. He found a place in Rotterdam that stores the car for a dollar a day. And each year before Easter takes care of a required annual RWC, warrant of fitness/MOT.

Good luck with your plans!
    Cheers John

Thread Information