Nice little addition to the garage today!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Nice little addition to the garage today!

Much to my surprise, the old man picked up another car today.

A 1974 (i think) Alfa Spider. 26,000kms (seriously), concours condition, red duco, black leather interior, yada yada. I've heard it, seen it, but it isn't at home yet (parents are on holidays, and I'm not trusted to pick it up.) Its the 2000cc Veloce. Thank god it is fully restored... The last thing we need around here, is another project to add to the 2x volvo, 1xMGTD (plus a very old vespa) that are nearing completion.

Advertisement

Nick

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by nchandler
    26,000kms (seriously)
    Holy cow, that's more impressive than my old man's 1977 XJS with 44 000kms on the clock.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Much to my surprise, the old man picked up another car today.

A 1974 (i think) Alfa Spider. 26,000kms (seriously), concours condition, red duco, black leather interior, yada yada. I've heard it, seen it, but it isn't at home yet (parents are on holidays, and I'm not trusted to pick it up.) Its the 2000cc Veloce. Thank god it is fully restored... The last thing we need around here, is another project to add to the 2x volvo, 1xMGTD (plus a very old vespa) that are nearing completion.

Nick
    Sounds lovely! But with 26,000k's on the clock why did it have to be fully restored? Or is that normal for an Alfa? :-)

Just had a look at it then (still sitting in the dealer's). I'd say its actually 126k kms. Still, its absolutely mint, runs like a clock, and looks the goods. Unfortunately the old man doesn't trust me to go and pick it up! Ah well, loooks like I'll have my 205 tomorrow so I'm not complaining.

Cal - is your dad's garage as interesting as yours? I note the quantity of supercharged cars....

Nick

I've got a nice 1 owner 1984 Mercedes 380SL with 54k's in the garage. Previous Owner was a mature female. I remember when I looked at it I commented about how new the soft top looked and had it been replaced, no it had just never been up before, the car has the optional hard top which was removed once but the PO didn't like driving with the roof off or down so the hardtop stayed on for nearly 20 years! Still has the original un-opened first aid kit, fire extinguisher and unused spare and receipts for every service and even battery change. Never driven in the rain and so the paint and chrome are immaculate. It's done maybe 1000k's in the last 4 years.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of benzes - how I would love a 280SL... Georgeous cars, that was the other alternative to the Spider... Probably prefer the spider though, more of a "sports car".

Nick

Cal

Cal - is your dad's garage as interesting as yours? I note the quantity of supercharged cars....

Nick
    It is a little smaller than in the past, but he is a car nut as well. He currently has the XJS, 2 Mini Cooper S's, an MX5 and a WRX STi.

Cheers,

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

alfa spiders are beautiful cars......my brother used a couple of alfa and fiat spiders for his wedding.....(if he d used a ds or a 404 they might have lasted longer).....personally i d preffer a 404 convertible or a 280 6.3 convertible....hmmm

the mgtd.....geezzz, they r a nice car.....very classic and elegant......I actually worked on the early replicas (south melbourne)......we assembled the lot by hand......they were a pretty good buy then.....moved well 2 with the little nissan pulsar engine......but wind noise was overkill at anything over 100 clicks...my experience with the td was very educational....

cheers
    dino

ps...good luck with the pug

i love alfas its in my blood

i`m looking at getting one soon maybe the 147 or the 156 still don`y know
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

I don't know why, but I've always thought of Alfas in a very similar vein to froggies. Sort of a frog, for people thinking less with their head and more with their heart! I'm looking forward to driving this thing. Only bad thing is its going to need a bit of work to make it able to fit Dad or I into it. Looks like the back seat (waste of time anyway - the fronts rest against it) is going to be removed and longer seat runners will be installed. I'm not sure if the new runners will be needed though, as the it looks like there is a bit of travel under the back seat, and the fronts stop on the back seat before they actually hit the end of their track.

Nick

Thread Information