Massive rcall of GM cars in the USA, but 13 years late it seems.
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Icon4 Massive rcall of GM cars in the USA, but 13 years late it seems.

GM has finally issued recall notices on those cars fitted with a defective ignition switch. Apparently the Defect was first reported and examined by GM 13 years ago, there were warnings that the defect could cause loss of life, as the ignition key for some reason, had the potential to move itself to the accessory position, shutting down everything including the airbags. Some six deaths have been linked to the problem and it was revealed today that after the early incidents, they (GM) set up an investigation that ran for nearly two years, but the problem was so widespread that a recall was recommended, but not taken up at that time due to the sheer cost of such a recall.

What angered road safety campaigners is the corporate irresponsibility of that dollars and cents before lives and for road safety investigators, the fact that GM could have saved them much hard slogging research to identify the problem after the deaths prompted the lead up to coronial inquiries.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this as the parents and friends push for better oversight of the recall process with some hearings underway in the US Senate.

Has anyone heard of this same problem in the GM family of cars marketed in Australia - obviously more to come

regards

Ken

While this is a non French motor car oriented topic, many of us have family and friends who enjoy the use of GM cars. Please keep replies civil as Froggy Chat is a public thread!

Advertisement

Well, it reminds me of the failing Xantia strut tops. A maker avoiding their social responsibility.

1000+ Posts

When you consider the media upheaval over the Toyota recalls in the USA, this will develop into a major issue for motor vehicle manufacturers AND importers.

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Ford Pinto?

1000+ Posts

Citroen Bi-Rotor.
    A car that had so many problems, that the factory tied to buy back every car built.
    It almost sent them broke.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Whilst any loss of life due to faulty components is deplorable, the volume of cars sold by GM in the last 13 years is enormous. That only six deaths are attributed to the ignition lock during this period is amazing. I can't say any more.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Administrator

It appears that the problem occurs due to certain vibrations when there is excess weight hanging on the keyring and the column is set at a certain height.

Dealers were sent information informing them to advise customers not to hang a thousand keys from the keyring...

It's worth noting that a few of the accidents that are supposedly 'attributed' to the fault have been single vehicle collisions in which the car has run of the road into solid objects at speed.

I'm not sure how the ignition turning off results in the car departing the road (unless they mean that the ignition turns off during the crash and results in the airbags not deploying.

1000+ Posts

Seems it could be more vehicles than the ignition switch fault and more deaths than just 6..

General Motors under fire at congressional hearing over delayed recall of compact cars | News.com.au

Ken

Icon6

G'day,
    where is Ralph Nadar when you need him?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Seems it could be more vehicles than the ignition switch fault and more deaths than just 6..

General Motors under fire at congressional hearing over delayed recall of compact cars | News.com.au

Ken
    All due respect Ken, there's nothing in that we haven't already covered. Not forgetting that in the land of the instant litigant, death is always someone else's fault.

"Then, as she was making a left turn a safe distance in front of an oncoming bus, the engine stalled again, she said.
    “I thought I was going to get T-boned by the bus. I refused to drive the car again until I felt like it was safe,” she said.
    The dealer replaced the starter and alternator. At the same time, Bard stopped using a lanyard as her keychain."

No chance of that lanyard being pulled accidentally.........
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 1st April 2014 at 08:20 PM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    All due respect Ken, there's nothing in that we haven't already covered. Not forgetting that in the land of the instant litigant, death is always someone else's fault.
    Yeah. but it's a bit harder to sue somebody when you're dead.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

No, it's easier for your relatives..............

Thread Information