Changes to 15 year Import Rule
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Changes to 15 year Import Rule

This may not be relevant to everyone here but as car lovers I implore you to read further.

Advertisement

It is with a heavy heart that I type this. DOTARS are planning to change the 15 year import rule as of 1 Jan 2005. A "Regulation Impact Statement" is being prepared for consideration which is part of the process prior to the gov't changing a regulation.

The changes are based on 2 reasons:
    1. The increase in the number of imports of cars 15 years or older.
    2001 - 3848
    2002 - 5703
    2003 - 12291

2. Emissions, performance, and satefy. As 15 year old cars are exempt from current emission and safety standards.

The 1st point is undisputable. It does point out the popularity of importing a car. If the cars available here were of the same value then noone would bother to import.
    The 2nd point looks valid on the surface but the reality is that the cars brought in (mainly from Japan) usually have EFI, ABS, better crumple zones, less kms, and were better cars to begin with than the equivilantly priced locally available cars.

The proposed changes are to only allow cars built prior to 1 Jan 1989 (say goodbye to R32 GTRs, 300ZX 2+2, RX7 S4, Supra MA70/GA70, MX5, MR2, Legacy, Galant, etc).

To only allow cars 30 years or older in.

I BEG YOU, IF THIS MATTER IS IMPORTANT TO YOU THEN LET YOUR VOICE/OPINION BE HEARD.

Too many people don't like the recent changes with the introduction of SEVS and the increased costs to import and compliance cars but did NOTHING when they had the chance. DON"T WAIT UNTIL THE RULE IS ALREADY CHANGED.

Ross Docherty
    Vehicle Safety Standards
    Department of Transport and Regional Services
    GPO Box 594
    Canberra ACT 2061
    Fax (02) 6274 7714
    email: [email protected]

Please make your arguements rational and constructive. I have had a dream for over 10 years to own a R32 GTR and was planning to get one in two years when $ allow (keeping the pug as a daily driver). If the 15 year rule is changed I will not be able to at the current prices.

The figures and info used in this post came from www.prestigemotorsport.com.au
    They have more info at their website.

I feel your pain Scotchopper i to was looking at bringing down a r32gtr .

However in the best intrests of driver safety & the aus car industry itself, i think is a decsion that "had" to come in soon.

Unfortunetly i'd have to think that the chips are against us the 'minority' as the majority of people would rather have roads without 18 year old p'platers driving twin turbo vehicles & having cheaper imported cars eating up the Australia automotive industry.

It's the sad truth.

Fellow Frogger!

Purrr-geot - I'm not sure how cheaper imports are eating up the Australian automotive industry. In 2003 new cars sales in Australia set (another) record year. This follows on from the growth of 2002 & 2001. Grey imports represent 1% of local car sales.

The best interests of driver safety? Most of the cars elegible under the 15 year rule have ABS, crumple zones, better suspension and better brakes. I agree that most people wouldn't want P platers driving twin turbos but the insurance alone prevents this, ie most of the drivers are not P platers.

The best interest of driver safety is to not assume that people who pass a test when they are 16-19 are safe drivers until they are compulsory retested at 65 or 80 or whatever the age is (I'm not there yet).

I understand that you are sympathetic, this is not an attack on you at all. I've just heard these ( IMHO invalid) aguements a lot. We supposedly live in an open market/economy. A lot of these cars were never available in Australia. What about our freedom of choice? The used car prices are determined, as is everything in capitalist economies, by what people are willing to pay for them.
    Last edited by Scotchopper; 24th January 2004 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    ety & the aus car industry itself, i think is a decsion that "had" to come in soon.

At the risk of being rude, F**K the australian car industry - if it built half decent and competative products, it wouldnt need to hide behind governement protection like some idiot child behind its mother skirt.

This really pisses me off, as I was going to import a car from the UK under this rule in 2006. A car that will sport more safety gear than a f***ing 1991 Holden, and be a whole lot safer and more fuel efficient than anything built here at the time. If they are worried about their precious local car market (which as has been said is booming with local and more than ever exports), bump the bloody tarrifs up and leave the minuscule s/h import market alone.

If they are really worried about safety, just make cars comply with ADRs at the date of manufacture - no real problem for most cars. And it shows that safety is not the priority in that they will let in older vehicles which are worse for safety but are not as much a threat to local markets. Pathetic and hypocritical and VERY BLOODY ANNOYING!

Fellow Frogger!

Haakon - this is what I like, a person with passion.

Now PLEASE don't just fume about it. Contact [email protected] or your local gov't representative and let them know your intentions and feelings (watered down perhaps). If your mates feel the same way then get them to do the same. Stand up for yourself and other like minded individuals.

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

Unfortunetly i'd have to think that the chips are against us the 'minority' as the majority of people would rather have roads without 18 year old p'platers driving twin turbo vehicles & having cheaper imported cars eating up the Australia automotive industry.

It's the sad truth.

?? how many P platers.. "17-19yr olds" can afford Twin turbo Japanese Imports?? Or single turbo imports for that matter..

Furthermore.. how many fatalities occur in Japanese imports vrs Crumbledorrs and Falcooons?
    Last edited by bowie; 24th January 2004 at 07:54 PM.

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

1000+ Posts

Haakon, I'm a strong believer in the market, and agree that if the OZ auto industry made good cars, then people would buy them by choice, not just because of tariffs making them better value.

But bear in mind that most countries of the world have far more substantial tariffs (on most things, not just automobiles) than we do.

Consider yourself lucky we do not have import quotas.

As a side note, import tariffs are being reduced from 15% to 10% on the 1st Jan 2005. Will be interesting to watch the impact.

Bowie: Many 'P' platers can buy such cars. Whether or not they can afford them is another issue (Mum and Dad?). Go to a university carpark someday...
    Last edited by Sergetov; 24th January 2004 at 08:43 PM.
    Tim

2016 Lexus RX450h

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bowie
    ?? how many P platers.. "17-19yr olds" can afford Twin turbo Japanese Imports?? Or single turbo imports for that matter..

Furthermore.. how many fatalities occur in Japanese imports vrs Crumbledorrs and Falcooons?

i must say at least 2 out of every 3 of those 2 door skyline things with plastic hanging from them are adorned with 'P' plates that i have seen
    and to be quite honest i am getting a little tired of seeing these backward hat wearing, reclined seating, doof doof, can't see the road in front of me drivers driving these cars trying to break the round-a-bout to round-a-bout record

so for the second part of how many fatalities there are in these cars i would say that for every jap import there would be 3-4 times in the local made cars but only because there are more of the local cars here

sure, the rule should be left the way it is but something has to be done about who is driving these cars and i'm not just talking about the young ones.
    i'm talking about educating the driving public

i have noticed that the average driver is becoming more and more dangerous on the road
    not only do they not look where they are going but they don't look out for anyone else on the road, add to this the crawling up the bum habit people are getting back into while you are travelling on the highways
    i sure as hell don't want some b%^$#$d up the rear of my car if i have to stop in a hurry

anyway i'll stop babbling for now as this thread is about the 15year rule
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Youre right Pugrambo, the idiots driving these things is a problem, but cheap grey imports dont make them ******s. It would merely be more hotted up commodores full of these tools instead. Its better they are in jap cars as they handle better and are probably safer. ( I had a good example of such a person this arvo on the sth eastern - pulled into a lane ahead of him behind another car, and then he got very shitty with me as he had had to slow from the 150 odd he was doing to sit behind me following another car at the speed limit - backwards hat, doof doof going and a prelude with spoilers.....)

If they are lowering tarifs anyway, why the push to kill opposition all of a sudden? And if its safty/emmisions they are worried about, why only let in old cars - surely making it hard to bring in old ones and easy for newer ones would satisfy this goal! It is all full of contradictions ansd very anti choice. If I cant get my R21 Turbo Quadra, I shall be very unimpressed.....
    Last edited by Haakon; 24th January 2004 at 09:39 PM.

I don't know why you have to knock the local product so sweepingly... there are some good cars out there.

Possibly, though, it's the level of grey imports that's driven them to be so good.

Quote Originally Posted by bowie
    Stand in the middle of Liverpool for a few hours and you'll soon have your question answered. I work there as a blood courier on saturdays and the amount of very young men driving imported skyline coupes always amazes (and scares) me.

The first thing many local lads do in that area, when they get a job, is take out a loan to buy a Japanese import and insure it.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Quote Originally Posted by davemcbean
    Stand in the middle of Liverpool for a few hours and you'll soon have your question answered. I work there as a blood courier on saturdays and the amount of very young men driving imported skyline coupes always amazes (and scares) me.

The first thing many local lads do in that area, when they get a job, is take out a loan to buy a Japanese import and insure it.

Dave
    I doubt many of them could afford the insurance, and a lot of grey imports are difficult to get full insurance on anyway. I would suggest that they take out the loan to buy the car and at best put 3rd party property damage on it.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Thread Information