The Duke Engine
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Duke Engine

JBN

Default The Duke Engine

An interesting concept from our football enemies across the ditch.

How the Duke Engines increases the efficiency of the internal combustion engine

John

Advertisement

thanks for linking that..
    When it was over saw this ....

I think my pulse is up a bit.

Two girls ride downhill holding hands going over 40mph

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    thanks for linking that..
    When it was over saw this ....

I think my pulse is up a bit.

Two girls ride downhill holding hands going over 40mph
    Makes more sense than the engine.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Fellow Frogger!

I love it. I would think they will experience long term sealing problems at the interface with the rotating "block" with the fixed "head".

But all the other advantages are as stated, fewer parts count in the BOM, reduced mass, higher specific output, compact size/shape.

Great idea, but surely having the pistons move relative to the spark plugs and ignition is going to make keeping compression high nearly impossible? I mean, conventional engine heads are bolted down with a gasket, and this one slides.

1000+ Posts

The Duke boys are a little slow off the mark. The swashplate engine has been around for about 100 years. Albert Mitchell was building them in Fitzroy Melbourne in 1920. They've been used in helicopters, planes and motorcycles to name a few applications. Swashplate motors seem to exist more as prototypes than mass produced power plants.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    The Duke boys are a little slow off the mark. The swashplate engine has been around for about 100 years. Albert Mitchell was building them in Fitzroy Melbourne in 1920. They've been used in helicopters, planes and motorcycles to name a few applications. Swashplate motors seem to exist more as prototypes than mass produced power plants.
    Not mention the number air conditioning compressors that employ swash plate technology.

1000+ Posts

Default New Engine Again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Hi
    A new engine design come up every couple of years, that will put the old piston engine to rest Where are they all now ? There must be hundreds of them Still being pushed by their designers but nobody is listening anymore ! After a few backers loose their money it's hard to get more I've looked at them all with interest over the years. Some famous names spring to mind but who cares ?

The old technology piston engine is a tough nut to crack and lots of man hours have been spent on getting it to where it is now. When this engine makes it to FI then I will look at it further.

jaahn

Thread Information