It's a scam! But what is the scam?
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default It's a scam! But what is the scam?

I am posting here because even though the scam was in England it involved an Australian Citroen on this forum. I can't work out how the perpetrator intended make money!

I found an old Citroen for sale on an Classic Car site. I wasn't looking for a Citroen, I was looking for a Series 40 Landcruiser, but I fell in love with this Citroen. After a lot of research on Citroens I decided to go ahead and buy it.

The ad had half a dozen photos and a very brief description, basically saying it needed restoration, the advertiser had had it several years, had not done anything with it and was now selling it.

The ad didn't show the advertiser's email address just a link to "email the seller" and a mobile phone number. For two weeks I tried to contact the seller. He didn't reply to emails and the phone always went straight to voice mail. During this time I had done a lot more research on the Citroen and really wanted this particular model!

I did an internet search for the model to see if was advertised elsewhere with more contact details.

I found it!

It was on this forum! Not only the same car but some of the photos from the ad were in a thread!

I joined the forum and posted on the thread asking if the car was in England and for sale. The Aussie owner must have been online, he sent me a private message within minutes! Saying the the car was not for sale, it was a scam. I tried to post to the thread with a link to the ad so people could be warned about it, but the thread had been taken off, I assume the owner didn't want any more photos stolen. I PM the owner with the link to the ad so he could see it and said I would report it as a scam to the ad website, but he beat me to it as the ad was gone the by the next day.

BUT - I cannot work out how the advertiser intended to make money out of his fake ad.
    1. The asking price was 1,100 - not much return for a scam.
    2. It needed picking up on a trailer - no need to transfer money or give bank details - just pay cash on pick up.
    3. The car was an old Citroen needing restoration - very few potential victims.
    4. It needed restoration - who is going to buy a car for restoration with going to look at it to check the condition. Difficult as the car was in Australia.
    5. He never returned my messages - can't make money if you don't contact your victim - if scam had finished, why leave the ad on the site.

Any ideas on what this advertiser was up to?

The main result of this - I now want a classic Citroen - no more Landcruiser!

Steve

Advertisement

This type of scam is very reasonably common with musical instruments and the amount is often modest. I have also seen several where they have stolen legitimate sellers photos and sometimes the wording for the add, word for word. They are easy to pick when they come up in the same search one after the other

I doubt that the scammer would be interest in you if you wanted to view the car and pay in cash. They would be looking for direct payment to nominated account or Western Union payment.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

I was thinking it was more like the "seller" would ask for a deposit, then make an excuse to cancel the sale and request your banking details to refund.

Tadpole

I am doing what can to track down this scammer. But I have very little to go on.

At the moment I only have the mobile phone number - 07767834524 - and the fact the car was supposed to be in Clun, Shopshire, UK. This was a working number as I got a Vodaphone voice message service.

I will contact the advertising site to see if I can get the email address the scammer used. This also must have been a working address, as the website uses it when the seller sets up the advert.

I wiil also put details of the ad and the scam on as many Classic Car sites that I can access and inform other sites selling Classic Cars - this will take several days or even weeks.

During the 2 or 3 weeks I was trying to contact the "seller" I spent all my spare time on the net researching about Citroens, restoring Citroens and details of the model advertised. The resault of my research was I really wanted that particular model Citroen. I even started sorting out my workshop ready to start work on it!!!

So instead of spending my time restoring the car, I will spend time trying to track down the scammer who so raised my expectations and then stamped on them!!

Steve

From my reading of you post, you were not able to contact the "seller". He'll be long gone, new number , new add etc.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Fellow Frogger!

Safhawk, you haven't told us what model Citroen it was ?????

Tadpole

If I identiflied the car, it would indentify the forum menber who owns it. When I posted on his thread about the car with info about the ad - he replied in a Private Message, then removed the thread. If he is happy to be identified I'll let him do that - it's his car and photos.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by safhawk View Post
    I found an old Citroen for sale on an Classic Car site. I wasn't looking for a Citroen, I was looking for a Series 40 Landcruiser, but I fell in love with this Citroen. After a lot of research on Citroens I decided to go ahead and buy it.

Steve
    steve, one really good outcome is that you have been diverted from the idea of buying a noisy, uncomfortable shit box old landcruiser! could your wife have been involved?

Quote Originally Posted by safhawk View Post
    If I identiflied the car, it would indentify the forum menber who owns it. When I posted on his thread about the car with info about the ad - he replied in a Private Message, then removed the thread. If he is happy to be identified I'll let him do that - it's his car and photos.
    The scammer was trying to sell my ID21 Safari (which was for sale but already sold)
    These scams are easy to avoid..never pay anything until you see and take possession of the car unless you know the seller already and are happy to trust them...
    There was a similar scammer trying to sell a 2CV recently...watch out
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

If you are looking for a DS/ID Citroen in UK I suggest you check out whats for sale in Aus and add shipping vat etc .Any rust would be minor compared with UK cars and they are all RHD .You would need to have someone you trust to check it out for scams .

Thread Information