Community Workshop Space in Melbourne
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default Community Workshop Space in Melbourne

Hi, My name is Ben and I thought I'd make a post to see if anyone else is interested in a project I'm starting up.

Advertisement

For some time now I've been wanting to start a restoration project, but since I live in an apartment I have absolutely nowhere to do so. After talking about it with some friends, it would seem like there are many others in the same situation as me. This has gotten my excited about starting a community workshop where people cant rent a space to work on their vehicle, meet other people and possibly have access to communal tools and equipment. This would most likely be on the Melbourne CBD fringe - around South Melbourne or Port Melbourne.

If something like this appeals to you, I'd love to hear from you. I've made up a short survey to try and get a better idea for what might work best - you can access it from this link: http://goo.gl/MAO726 or email me through the forums with any questions or suggestions.

Thanks,
    Ben

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Ben
    What a great idea and concept! I've often thought what you are proposing would make a terrific "Men's Shed" but I'm told that the network of men's sheds tend to be places where you might drink coffee. Or get involved with small community/Rotary type projects.
    Not projects of self interest.

My brother and I have a large shed that's suitable for storing cars. But one with cages where you could for example store tools, have community tools, etc sounds great. The communal aspect appeals. It's a question of how much income you need to start or keep such a place running...

Hopefully there's somewhere in the complex with a comfortable chair and couch, heating, kitchen. Or being a French car forum do we just settle for a HY Cit food van on the premises?

Regards
    John

Icon6

G'day,
    a great idea. Now if some one could come up with a place in Sydney, [the second most expensive place to live on Earth] , I would be in like a shot.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Damn, Why do you live so far away from me (Sydney)?????/

I'm 3/4 through setting up just the type of shed a unit dweller like you could restore a car in.

Good luck with it.

jo

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    a great idea. Now if some one could come up with a place in Sydney, [the second most expensive place to live on Earth] , I would be in like a shot.
    Ummm...see previous post.

Jo

Insurance may be your worst nightmare

Like the idea though

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi estate
    2013 Renault Koleos 2.0 dCi 4WD
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Damn, Why do you live so far away from me (Sydney)?????/

I'm 3/4 through setting up just the type of shed a unit dweller like you could restore a car in.

Good luck with it.

jo

G'day,
    you know the feeling when you are looking for something, and then it just drops in your lap...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/96I_UrTOZF0
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post

G'day,
    you know the feeling when you are looking for something, and then it just drops in your lap...

Carmen de Bizet par ZIC ZAZOU pour la Grande Battle - YouTube
    I nearly pissed my pants laughing at balloon man.

Jo

COL

Perhaps this would be more the sound coming from such a venture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGEqlNU30Tg
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

A 'somewhat' similar concept going on in the UK:--> www.rampandwrench.co.uk ~Steph.

Vamp and wench? Count me in!

More seriously, I think it's like multiple dwelling living; there are always slobs and abusers of the system - there need to be rules with teeth for such incidences as will occur.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I reckon it would be really difficult. You would end up with a couple of cars in a million pieces (which mean they'll take up the space of 10cars) and nowhere else to fit anything. Given limited time/money/access the cars owners will likely have will mean the cars will end up sitting for months/years at a time with nothing happening too them........ I have this problem and the cars and shed are in my own backyard

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

I never had to worry about Shop space. In a Month or so,I'll have 100 Cars,and I'll STILL have space LEFT OVER,such is life when you have a Landlord who's more than generous with His space. It helps that He & His Brother's have/own their own ex-Linen Mills & Factories in which to store their own monsterous hoard of Cars(1313 Cars...). We won't even mention the Locomotives.....~Steph.

Icon12

Not that you're skiting or anything.

1000+ Posts

Icon10 A picture or two is worth a thousand...words...

Quote Originally Posted by StephineS View Post
    I never had to worry about Shop space. In a Month or so,I'll have 100 Cars,and I'll STILL have space LEFT OVER,such is life when you have a Landlord who's more than generous with His space. It helps that He & His Brother's have/own their own ex-Linen Mills & Factories in which to store their own monsterous hoard of Cars(1313 Cars...). We won't even mention the Locomotives.....~Steph.
    Pictures or ban!! (an old Froggy Forum challenge Stephine!)

Sounds like a great collection...

Ken

1000+ Posts

Icon10 A picture or two is worth a thousand...words...

Quote Originally Posted by StephineS View Post
    Pictures or ban!! (an old Froggy Forum challenge Stephine!)

Sounds like a great collection...

Ken

PS Bob would like the locomotive pictures too!

1000+ Posts

Icon6

I'll have to ask Mr Big. Your best bet would be to travel to Phila & see it yourself(s). He's had LOTS of 'Tourists' wander through over the years. Most ususally walk out with tears in their Eye's(from the Leaded Gas mostly...),some even bend over 'an Kiss His(or one of His Brother's...)Ring. In the world of Scrap(both Industrial & Automotive...)He is God. For just over 130 years His family has been doing the junk thing,cutting up this & that,crushing Cars,ect. At age 75,He & His Brother's show no signs of slowing down,although the the Buisness will not linger on forever. It seems neither He or His Brother's had Children,although all are married. I've known the Family all of life,so this made it easy for me to con my way in to storing my own collection with theirs. As for the Locomotive side,there's about 7 Engines the Boy's have kept for themselves,one of which is 'an ALCO C424(2400 H.P. built in 1963..)which allway's getting some work done(they're re-wiring it now...)to it. The rest are EMD's(General Motors..)and one Fairbanks-Morse unit. There's ALLWAY'S something interesting to see in the Shops. ~Steph.

Ben, I think you have a sound proposition here. Such a concept already exists in Melbourne for the motorcycle fraternity, and I don't see why, with some thought and commercial acumen, it shouldn't work for the car community. The bike workshop is called The Kustom Commune and it's in Collingwood. The two guys involved raised over $30,000 in start-up funds via a crowd funding website (see. http://www.pozible.com/project/6243). Their vision is to incorporate more than just workshop space but also an art space and a cafe. Until the cafe gets built, my son serves coffee on weekdays to the members and the local office-worker community from his motorcycle based mobile coffee cart (see. www.crankcoffee.com.au). He is a motorcycle mechanic and also sells his time per hour to members who get out of their depth. It's a very successful venture so I don't see why it couldn't be replicated.
    Dave.
    83 2CV Charleston

79 GSA
    01 Renault Scenic

Fellow Frogger!

Dave thanks for the link to the Kustom Commune (and your son's coffee cart).... great concept!

Cheers
    John

I do like these ideas and would like to see more of them take off. However I also like this idea and wish it would happen in aus.

Garage Condo | Build Threads

Here has much more details about it.
    AutoMotorPlex ? A Place To Enjoy Your Passion

Just a cool place to hang out with cars and people who like cars.

Given the way of metropolitan land prices in Australia - something like that would be a pipe dream for many (only unless if you have some serious cash)...
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Plus, it seems like a "clean" environment. How would they react if you actually started doing messy stuff like the first clean on a paddock find?

Through a girl I was seeing, I was involved with communal workshop space years ago (ca. 2000) in Newtown/St Peters - it was a spinoff from the "Reclaim the Streets" movement - and jeez there were some prissy sorts there. Others were more laid back, but you were always toe-to-toe with the princesses.

Pfft with cars comes mess. If you cant live with that... Well...

As long as you clean the mess as best you can life would be good for the style that I linked. But yeah serious coin. And then some would be needed.... Is upsetting.
    2012 - RCZ.
    1994 - 405 Mi16.
    1974 - Dnper 650 sidecar.
    1997 - Honda CBR1100XX Superblack bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentia View Post
    Pfft with cars comes mess. If you cant live with that... Well...

As long as you clean the mess as best you can life would be good for the style that I linked. But yeah serious coin. And then some would be needed.... Is upsetting.
    If the floor was painted in petrol resistant paint, it would be easier to keep clean and encourage members to (hopefully) 'leave it as they found it'.

It's a good idea Ben, though I can see problems associated with issues like lengthy work (engine conversion, waiting on parts, etc). Maybe you should talk to some of the members of The Kustom Commune to find out how they've structured the concept & get some idea of what does & doesn't work.
    405 Mi16 2.2 litre race car up for sale soon. For details contact me on 0438 106 430.

Lap times- Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205 Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Fellow Frogger!

I'm definitely going to take a look at the Kustom Commune in coming months... just from an interest point of view. But no doubt motor bikes are much smaller than cars and take up very little space. STALLED is right.. a lot of things some of us would like to do (and are possible in other countries) are ruled out to an extent by high real estate prices here. Owning a holiday houses, a NZ style Bach or even a boatshed or beach box are often beyond our reach unless we can find some communal minded like minds to share.

To the OP.. Ben keep us posted on how you progress... crowd funding would sound like the way to go..

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information