Why do the good die young?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Why do the good die young?

As im sure many of you here may have heard test legend, commentator & Victorian cricket coach David Hookes passed away in unfortunate circumstances yesterday.

I wasn't alive to see Hookes play, however the videos & the stories were more than enough to grant this man legendary status as a cricketer. Some may argue he didn't play enough tests however his first class record more than compensated for that. How could anyone forget the famous five 4's in a row off Tony Greig.

I've had numerous dealing's with Mr Hookes & was totally enlightened by every word out of his mouth, even when i had a argument with him it was done with full respect for a great 'bloke' who always had a opinion on his mind.

It's a great loss for Australian cricket, most notably Victorian cricket. If you ask most of the victorian players these days how they have turned around their performances of late there answers would all relate to Hookes hard work & dicipline ethic.

My condolences go out to his family. May D.Hookes rest in peace.

Asanka-out

Advertisement

It certainly is a sad loss for all of us. It sickens me that such an outstanding individuals life has been cut short by someones pure stupidity. May the person that caused this tragic loss rot in jail for the rest of his days.

Although two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, I think it would be somewhat befitting that this persons inmates will be avid cricket supporters and threat this persons head in the samme manner in which Hookes treated balls being delivered to him on the pitch.

My warmest sympathies go out to all of his family and friends.

RIP David.
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)
    I can feel a GTI 180 coming on!

Icon9

very sad......

I too am too young to have seen him play, but it saddens me, yet almost sickens me to see an act like this happen.. I guess more so that he was who he was, but it is still upsetting that someone should die after an incident like this..

I hope justice is served, and the fella that hit him has the charge upgraded to at least manslaughter..
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

Any brutal death is a tragedy, why is it that when someone famous gets bashed or killed, all stops are pulled out to find the culprit asap.
    State funerals are held, news reports etc,go on adinfinitum.
    Yet when Joe public gets bashed or killed, nobody but family gives a rats arse, or theres a mention on page 12, of the local paper.
    And when the furore dies and the funeral is over they're just as dead as any other corpse.

That said the alleged assailant, at 21yo would not have the nessessary maturity, to handle the job. Still loaded with adolescent testosterone and fiesty. A 10 day training course in crowd control,on top of perhaps 5-10yrs martial arts classes is a dangerous mix.
    After a 20 week course these idiots are licenced to carry a gun. It's obvious where the fools and dropout end up. In the Public Service & Governments making the rules the rest of us are forced to live by.
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Definitely RIP David Hooks. May the Vic team win the cup in his memory .
    Crowd control and cricketers seem a dangerous mix in Oz , Ricky Ponting, Greg Mathews, et al - all king hit by people employed to protect patrons. Having studied a few of these roid rage types in action that have had the hit first and often approach to crowd control. Pubs near football grounds seem to hire on the basis of agression keen to swing into action at any percieved threat or hesitation in responding to the MANS orders and do celibrate fights which is sicko. I agree with Damian that with the legal protection/ support of the thugs employers the comotose victim stands little chance of financial or legal satisfaction.
    Lets hope some decent training on how to diffuse situations with refresher sessions for crowd control comes from this sad event.
    GavinS
    Cheers- GavinS 25 GTX 1987 build 2165cc auto - TBR. Renault is properly pronounced "Rhen-oh."
    .......................................Nissan Skyline (daily driver)
    Seek the blindspot and unknown of The Johari Window.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Damien Gardner
    Any brutal death is a tragedy, why is it that when someone famous gets bashed or killed, all stops are pulled out to find the culprit asap.
    Yet when Joe public gets bashed or killed, nobody but family gives a rats arse, or theres a mention on page 12, of the local paper.
    And when the furore dies and the funeral is over they're just as dead as any other corpse.
    Thank-you Damien ... every day 100's of "unknown" people die in hospital, some from brutal bashings, car accidents and other unfortunate accidents. But almost all these people are known by someone, as someones mother, father, sister, son, spouse etc etc. We should be as outraged about these as we are made out to be about a celebrities death, it's all tragic no matter who you are.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Originally posted by Damien Gardner
    Yet when Joe public gets bashed or killed, nobody but family gives a rats ****, or theres a mention on page 12, of the local paper.
    And when the furore dies and the funeral is over they're just as dead as any other corpse.....
    Remember when the footballer or cricketer was killed in a car accident in Perth... maybe 12 or 18 months ago?

I was posting on a forum where this subject was a hot topic and got howled down because I suggested that maybe the jerk was racing the relative or friend who was in the car 'following' him.

The point being that these high-rollers are given more benefit of greater doubts than the 'joe public' types ever get. It's still a tragedy, but they don't need to be eulogised to such an extent.

Stupid is also stupid... just like dead is dead... name, rank and serial number make no difference...

1000+ Posts

Cricketer. If you saw where he went off, you'd be even more convinced that he had the foot down. It was at the end of a 90 degree sweeping off ramp that's famous for people trying to take it fast - almost impossible to lose it unless you're flying along.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Cricketer. If you saw where he went off, you'd be even more convinced that he had the foot down. It was at the end of a 90 degree sweeping off ramp that's famous for people trying to take it fast - almost impossible to lose it unless you're flying along.
    Yep ... that corner is marked 40kph, but it can be done at 100+ , but to take out 10+ meters of brick fence like this guy did I'd say he'd be in the 150+ zone (it was a Porsche) .. cause at 40kph you'd walk away without a bruise (never mind he flipped the car).

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

Plus, I forgot to add, he went off on the INSIDE of the sweeper, near the end of it. Very unusual, and indicates a car completely out of control.

Thread Information