For sale section -vendor feedback????
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: For sale section -vendor feedback????

Default For sale section -vendor feedback????

Observation and question...

On this forum, in line with general society, 99.9% of individuals are dead set legends. 0.1% are exactly the opposite.

I cringe every time I see a particularly roguish vendor, who seriously mis-represented a vehicle and abused my trust (an that of others) previously, progressing seemingly a serial pursuit of passing of a seriously flawed vehicles in the for sale section.

Advertisement

Regulars of the community a clearly steering clear, as evidenced by the long period the vehicles stay listed at seemingly very attractive prices (too good to be true generally is...). But newcomers remain vulnerable.

Is it time that vendor feedback is added to this site, EBay style?

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

This isn't EBay and caveat emptor....,

So nobody should ever trust you?

A " For Sale " post by the vendor on a small French car forum should stay just that. Allowing all and sundry to comment on their opinion of a vendor can lead to a public crucifixion by the mob whether warranted or not. And this is primarily a site for French car lovers, not primarily a selling site.

By the way not quite sure of the purpose of the personal question but buy something from me when I have an item for sale and you'll find out : )

Fellow Frogger!

To the OP, yes other online forums like the Jalopy Journal do not allow posting for items listed for sale..."to be fair". But IMHO this is only being fair to the vendor, for AF it's denying us throwing our combined intellectual weight, humour (and too much time on hands) into items for sale. The history of a car, wasn't that bought at an auction to restore, etc.

Must admit I always assumed no posting was more about bandwidth but being able to post would add colour. Rating a vendor however may create a "he said, she said" acrimonious situation. Some AF members seem to vend or pass on cherished examples of classic Cits that would be great buys and are honestly described. It's when you get into the other end of the quality spectrum, cars unloved already and seemingly bought & just turned over, resold as a trade that you'd have to be very careful as a buyer.
    A bit like that red DS with the fabric sunroof for $8500 that languished on Ebay from a reseller forever.

Here's an example of forum feedback which seems keep the vibe positive and add to the community...
    Feedback Forum | Retrobike

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

They should be pretty easy to pick out either way.... fuzzy tiny resolution piccies, taken from a distance. Areas of the car deliberately missed from piccies, vague descriptions ( with possibly huge rheems of literiture cut 'n' pasted from a Wiki about that sort of car........... but nothing at all to do with the relevance of the car they have for sale).

Especially when they start saying "BARN FIND !!!" or something similar

Just like any other market place, you need to go look at what's advertised for sale and see what the item for sale is like.

It's easy to pick cars that could be worth traveling to look at. For example that pale Blue GS that was advertised here recently. Lot of high res piccies where you could see how good all the "usualy" tatty/stuff bits are. Rather than hiding the areas from photos (or showing them at tiny resolution in shadow/sun ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Every other car/bike forum I'm on has a for sale area that devolves into "tell him he's dreaming" or "too bad, good luck with the sale" neither of which adds anything much to the thread. I've got no issue with keeping it for original poster only.

1000+ Posts

Default Tell him he's dreaming !

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    Every other car/bike forum I'm on has a for sale area that devolves into "tell him he's dreaming" or "too bad, good luck with the sale" neither of which adds anything much to the thread. I've got no issue with keeping it for original poster only.
    Hi
    Well that's what happened here before we had this policy Some poor person puts up a car in good faith and some "experts" take to their keyboards with a vengeance. Why ? Nothing better to do ? There are plenty of other threads to comment on.

Just leave it the way it is. If you look on AF regularly then you get the "feel" for the various individuals here and that's good enough for a forum like this IMHO.
    jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    Well that's what happened here before we had this policy Some poor person puts up a car in good faith and some "experts" take to their keyboards with a vengeance. Why ? Nothing better to do ? There are plenty of other threads to comment on.

Just leave it the way it is. If you look on AF regularly then you get the "feel" for the various individuals here and that's good enough for a forum like this IMHO.
    jaahn
    Agree,
    If you look, you'll see plenty of commentary on various adds from all media forms in the regular cit/pug/reno forums.

Things like $18k restored renault r16's always polarise opinion and get a good debate going,regrdless of the seller's motivation.

My fave was the commentary that ran here on AF about a certain ebay fuego, including links to the buyer's history of ladies frilly nickers and war medals.
    After the sale, the same war medal buying lingerie fan joined the thread and the forum, and we all had a good laugh at the whole episode.

Jo

I'm all for the allowing of questions or comments in the classifieds, even though my DS 19 was regarded as a complete rust bucket when I was selling it. In saying that, I showed high resolution pics of the car's weaknesses and a picture says more than anyone's subjective commentary.

The real advantage would be to allow a potential purchaser or tyre-kicker to ask questions and for the vendor to answer them publicly and thus saving a lot of unnecessary private messages.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    The real advantage would be to allow a potential purchaser or tyre-kicker to ask questions and for the vendor to answer them publicly and thus saving a lot of unnecessary private messages.
    If that was how it worked in the real world, I'd be all for it. Unfortunately I've not seen it work the majority of the time.

If i see a mark on a car and travel to see it, i expect a mark. If the owner tells me it was just a hair on the camera when the photo was taken and there is NO mark and the car is perfect - i'll go postal absolute postal. All that wasted time and petrol to see a car not living up to it's image. Damn this war Grace.

CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Icon12

Many contributors to this thread appear to not comprehend the original post's suggestion or intent. That's shameful - if you're going to digress it should be cognisantly.

The "feedback forum" Andrew linked to, I think an excellent idea. It leaves no room for other than statements of the parties' perceptions about a trade.

On a personal level, I always try to close a public sale with posted acknowledgement of the buyer or seller I've dealt with.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Many contributors to this thread appear to not comprehend the original post's suggestion or intent. That's shameful - if you're going to digress it should be cognisantly.

The "feedback forum" Andrew linked to, I think an excellent idea. It leaves no room for other than statements of the parties' perceptions about a trade.

On a personal level, I always try to close a public sale with posted acknowledgement of the buyer or seller I've dealt with.
    I agree. Perhaps only a rating varying from excellent right the way to dismal.

Perhaps the feedback should be limited to the buyer (and perhaps Vendor) only.

Or, whether there is a feature which could be added to allow the vendor/moderator to give permission for feedback only to those who actually look at the car, know the vendor or the car.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Fellow Frogger

I guess it could also be of interest to give feedback on members as potential buyers and list faults such as time-wasting, not bothering to turn up, reneged, serial lowballer, dangerous test driver, complete pain to deal with, unrealistic expectations, tinted glasses wearer, trainspotter / anorak wearer, has comprehension problems i.e. simply can't read an advert ... or am I being unfair as we know it's only ever the vendors who are dodgy?

I understand the concern, but it's really a case of buyer beware. I would think that if an advert is manifestly misleading or deceptive, i.e. you've actually looked at the car, know what you are looking at and it is materially not as described, report it to the website admin.. Otherwise, as a buyer, particularly with older cars, if you are not sure about a car, keep looking or ask advice from other forum members. There are people in the relevant car clubs and here online who have a good knowledge of many common faults and asking a few questions might help you avoid being caught out.
    Last edited by David S; 28th February 2014 at 12:08 PM.

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

I've had someone on this forum contact me regarding my 2006 307 CC SPORT saying the highest he could go for such a sh!t box was 3k....

Not going to name and shame but yeah ended up selling it for over 3 times that price.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

COL

I have sold and bought things here on Aussiefrogs and I never had any problems.

I find most people on here are decent individuals and are true to their word.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

There you go, one happy story and one unhappy story : )

Now is the time to close the thread to avoid regurgitation......

I'm flabbergasted. Truly.

So, myself, or PT, or Richo, or Kenny, or David S, or Rob Mac, or Shanadoo - or anyone else - should not "share" information about fixing things because people ought to find out that sort of stuff for themselves?

1000+ Posts

While we're commenting again on the for sale rules in other threads, I had a thought about this.

What if each for sale thread was owner moderated? Any comment they feel offended by they can hide themselves.
    This way interested parties can post questions and comments, and where they turn out to be useful and respectful they will stay up for the benefit of all.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, AT Power Dry Sump, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Custom Radiator and Oil cooler, 3J Plate LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5, Winton - 1:40.2, Wakefield - 1:11.05, Phillip Island - 1:55.9, The Bend (International) 2:23.2
    NŁrburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

1000+ Posts

There's nothing to stop a buyer opening a threat and saying they're happy (or otherwise) with their purchase.

There's nothing to stop a seller from referring a potential buyer people s/he's dealt with in the past if the feel there's a need to get a reference.

So yeah, I guess we have the option of leaving feedback as things stand.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    There's nothing to stop a buyer opening a threat
    I'd like to think it doesn't usually get that far!
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, AT Power Dry Sump, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Custom Radiator and Oil cooler, 3J Plate LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5, Winton - 1:40.2, Wakefield - 1:11.05, Phillip Island - 1:55.9, The Bend (International) 2:23.2
    NŁrburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

1000+ Posts

Ooops...

THREAD, opening a thread! The other we should keep in the pond, methinks.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Ooops...

THREAD, opening a thread! The other we should keep in the pond, methinks.
    Yeah it could get ugly if we allow people to go around threadening other people.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information