New ford fiesta
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: New ford fiesta

Icon2 New ford fiesta

What do we think of the new Ford Fiesta? It looks like a cute little car. I like it more than the focus shape....
    Its not french i know. WHat do others think?

Advertisement

humm, yup its a Ford Fiesta.

the 0-100 10sec+ performance will have me yawning.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

It is supposed to be a very good supermini. The previous Fiesta was always a fun drive, so the new one should be just as good. The Mazda 2 uses the same platform and is considering a neat handler, so Ford should be just as good, if not better.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie

Just wait until they shoehorn that ST170 engine into it. Watch you GTI 180 and RSC! What a fun sector that will be. What will VW counter with?
    - Lincoln

10.6s is pretty reasonable for a supermini.

But typical for Ford petrol engines in cars smaller than the Mondeo, its output, etc don't really impress for its capacity. 74kW from a multivalve 1.6 is nothing to write home about and torque levels are similar to most other 1.6s, peaking at about 4000rpm IIRC. Other engines do better without needing to rev like sewing machines (not saying the Fiesta does).

I've sat in the Fiesta at a promo down in Melbourne. The most memorable thing for me is how nice and short the gearshift is. Interior quality is average, it doesn't raise the bar. It seems like a nice car, but I'd probably say that for most of Ford Europe's products. I think it should sell well, because it has one advantage over the Focus - it's not arriving in the market underengined and it has that capacity advantage over most of its competitors. Plus I think its interior won't put more conservative people off.

Cars are arriving next month at some dealers.

Daniel, you might have noticed they're playing on the Megane's campaign - "Come shake your ass in Germany".

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm

I have a long term comparison between the C3, VW Polo and Ford Fiesta. The Ford won - most fun to drive, roomiest etc. The Polo lacked the build quality previously associated with VW cars, although it was on par with the Fiesta and light years ahead of the Citroen. I'll dig it up and copy some of it out for you. I distinctly remember them not liking the C3 at all.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

1000+ Posts

Justin, I believe Nick came home with a German car mag with a comparison between the new Astra, new Golf, 307, and Focus (?).

I'd love it if you could do a translation of it (even if it is pretty basic).

Ho Hum RE the new Fiesta. Like the Focus its coming to the party rather late... But I'll be checking it out at the motor show for sure.

Did anyone see the two page feature in The Age about safety feature specifications of vehicles sold in Australia? I reckon the BT investment ads were more interesting. Better journalism too

I'd hoped to find out who the COTY winner was but it was'nt in our (home delivered) edition.
    Tim

2013 BMW 320i Touring M-Sport xDrive (Estoril Blue)

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Just wait until they shoehorn that ST170 engine into it. Watch you GTI 180 and RSC! What a fun sector that will be. What will VW counter with?
    Im sure someone will do that, but I doubt it will be Ford. they already have a Focus as the performance car, Fiesta would require too many chassis strengthening mods to make it a viable option. Pretty much along the same lines as the 106 never bacame the 106GTi6 pocket rocket.
    There are limits.... although I would probably swallow my pride and be seen in one of those fiestas with the 180bhp engines in it.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Im sure someone will do that, but I doubt it will be Ford. they already have a Focus as the performance car, Fiesta would require too many chassis strengthening mods to make it a viable option. Pretty much along the same lines as the 106 never bacame the 106GTi6 pocket rocket.
    There are limits.... although I would probably swallow my pride and be seen in one of those fiestas with the 180bhp engines in it.
    They've released it as a concept car and the reports in the press seem to indicate that this will happen. I'll try and find something more concrete.
    - Lincoln

What is disappointing is that the 1.6 is the top of the range motor. There isn't even a 'highly tuned' 1.6.

So whilst that places the base models in a competitive position, it leaves the Zetec looking a little disappointing. It's not really a Barina SRI competitior.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    Justin, I believe Nick came home with a German car mag with a comparison between the new Astra, new Golf, 307, and Focus (?).

I'd love it if you could do a translation of it (even if it is pretty basic).
    The comparo is between the 1.6 variants of the Golf, Mazda 3, 307 & Megane.

Result.

1. VW Golf.
    2. Mazda 3
    3. Peugeot 307
    4. Renault Megane.

Conclusion.

1. VW Golf - In spite of high prices, a clear victory for the new Golf, above all thanks to its outperforming drivetrain and high class design.

2. Mazda 3 - Dynamic handling and good characteristics all round bring the Mazda towards the front. Weakness: poor comfort and high consumption.

3. Peugeot 307 - The Peugeot scores with a low price, much room and comfortable suspension. Agility and powerful deceleration are not its strengths.

4. Renault Megane - The good level of safety equipment and strong brakes face flaws in quality, functionality, seats and in particular, steering.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

About time the Fiesta comes out here. Anything beats the Ford Ka.
    2002 China Blue Peugeot XT
    Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder

If it's anything like the RS fiesta on the Cover of the December MAX POWER.. then i'd be drooling... maybe not over the colour of the colour car... but was there some work done to that!!!
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

nJm

In a What Car? I brought back from the UK there is a comparison of the Fiesta 1.25, 206 1.1 and Vauxhall Corsa (Holden Barina) 1.2 -

Vauxhall: The ride quality is slightly disappointing, and picks out small lumps and bumps too easily. The chassis is happier at motorway speeds, where the ride settles down nicely. In isolation the Corsa also feels controlled over uneven tarmac, but it fails to recover its composure as quickly as the Fiesta. The Corsa is also impressively agile but less sensitive to throttle movements. That means it's either less fun or more reassuring, depending on your perspective. Either way, there's less grip than in the Peugeot and the front tyres push wide surprisingly early.

The Corsa's 1.2-litre engine delivers identical power and torque figures to the Fiesta, although maximum power arrives at slightly lower revs in the Vauxhall. Thanks to its lighter kerb weight, the Corsa holds the performance advantage. It reaches 60mph in half a second less than the Fiestea and will accelerate from 30mph to 70mph a full 1.7 seconds quicker.

Ford: The Ford is firmer at low speeds than say, a Skoda Fabia or Volkswagen Polo, but offers more control at higher speeds. On bumpy or twisting roads, the Fiesta has the edge and it recovers quickly from one bump to the next, with virtually no float or wallow. The Ford combines the grip of the Peugeot and the predictability of the Vauxhall with a degree of finesse that neither can match. The steering is the most precise and communicative of this trio, and there's noticeably less body roll. It shrugs off mid-corner bumps more adeptly, too.

The 1.25-litre engine gives the Fiesta useful extra response. It puts out 74bhp and 81lb ft. That's enough to shave 0.8 seconds from the 0-60mph sprint over the outgoing 1.3-litre, with a time of 14.5 seconds. In spite of the extra power, the engine and gearbox need to be worked hard to make decent progrss on A-roads and motorways. Ford's 1.4-litre unit is a better bet for regular long-distance drivers.

Peugeot: The Peugeot's steering needs a ittle more muscle for parallel parking or three-point turns, but only the slightest of drivers will be troubled. Like the Vauxhall, the Peugeot picks out too many mumps at low speeds, but becomes more supple as speeds rise. On bumpy or twisting roads, the Peugeot also gives a good account of itself yet, again, it can't match the Fiesta's all-round competence. It's a fun car though. The steering may be a mite heavy when parking, but feels well weighted at speed, even if a little more feedback wouldn't go amiss. There's plenty of grip and agility and you can tighten the line through a corner be easing off the throttle. This can lead to a slightly nervous feel on wet roads, however.

In the Peugeot, road noise is the most irritating factor, although the engine is more intrusive than in the other two. That's no surprise when you consider how much harder the Peugeot's engine will be working. The French car's 1.1-litre unit is 14bhp less powerful than the other two and delivers 11lb ft less pull. Around town the deficit is not too noticeable, but on A-roads and motorways the 206 can feel out of its depth. Accelerating from town speeds to the motorway limit of 70mph takes 17.3 seconds, nearly three seconds more than the Vauxhall. The Peugeot also puts up the worst performance if you need to stop in a hurry, taking the greatest distance from both 30mph and 70mph.
    They conclude that:

The Fiesta wins here. It's more practical than the Corsa, more comfortable than the 206 and decisively better to drive than either. However it needs greater refinement at speed an more low-down pull from the engine to challenge the class leaders.

The Corsa is the next best, thanks to its refined engine and strong performance. For motorway use, it's the most suitable of our trio but the ride around town is lumpy and it lacks the polish of the Ford's chassis. The absence of split-rold rear seats compromises practicality too.

Which leaves the Peugeot. It may be fun to drive and offer decent space, but the driving position is awkward and performance from the 1.1-litre engine is inadequate.
    I'll try to find the one with the C3, Polo and Fiesta later on.
    Last edited by nJm; 21st January 2004 at 09:10 PM.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

It seems these days that Ford is the new Peugeot (I know some of you are going to cry blasphemy at that!), certainly in the chassis department.

It seems every Ford Europe product released after the Focus (1998) is superior to its Peugeot equivalent in the chassis department. It will be interesting to see how the 407 goes, they certainly haven't put in an el chepo suspension system in there.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

I don't know ... one of these would be OK ..

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Yeah, that's the Fiesta ST concept with the ST170 engine in it
    - Lincoln

Thread Information