eCall
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: eCall

Default eCall

From 2015 all cars sold in Europe will be fitted with eCall. This is an emergency button on the dash which when pressed initiates an emergency call in case of accident. It also has a sensor that is triggered by a collision which will automatically make the call, if the driver is incapacitated. Tests suggest it will reduce accident response time by the emergency service by 40-50%

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Could it have the potential for increase in false callouts eg kids testing he button etc, which might cause an issue with response times to legimate calls?

I would be intersted in how they plan to prioritize calls
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 12th February 2014 at 08:43 PM.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Suggest you start your research here
    eCall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    and their own site
    Digital Agenda for Europe - European Commission

UFO

The C4 we leased in 2012 had that fitted. Fortunately we read the (downloaded English) instructions prior to travelling so we knew what the button was and didn't experiment. Good idea though and it works on the basis that any cellular phone can access a compatible network in an emergency via 112 etc.

I wonder if it orders a lattŤ ready for when your ambulance gets to the hospital?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post

Thanks for the pointer Gerry, sounds like well thought out initiative, which is not always the case
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

I carry my personal EPIRB with me at all times. Particularly in the bush and up the mountains where there is no cell phone coverage. I don't think Ecall will work in a lot of OZ.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Banned

kim, surely you are not serious? there is telstra coverage almost anywhere you are on a road.
    no doubt there are uncovered areas on really remote roads, but taking a wild, unscientific stab, i will guess that accidents occurring outside any cell phone coverage would be <0.5%. sounds like an utterly brilliant idea to me.

btw, you dont really carry an EPIRB with you all the time do you?
    bushwalking i totally understand and approve, but what about going to the mall?

I keep mine chained to the fire extinguisher, life jacket and the collar of my St Bernard especially when gardening - you never know!

Another electronic device that 99% of people will never need to add to the cost and complexity of a car.
    Just more to clutter up the car and to go wrong.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

There are plenty of locations in Sydney with no mobile coverage - usually North Shore valleys. Coverage in the Hawkesbury shire area only 50km away is very patchy indeed. Go further away, and off the main highways, and see how you go.

The C5 has reception strength RSSI bars on the display, and I often see them disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    kim, surely you are not serious? there is telstra coverage almost anywhere you are on a road.
    no doubt there are uncovered areas on really remote roads, but taking a wild, unscientific stab, i will guess that accidents occurring outside any cell phone coverage would be <0.5%. sounds like an utterly brilliant idea to me.

btw, you dont really carry an EPIRB with you all the time do you?
    bushwalking i totally understand and approve, but what about going to the mall?
    It's quite simple really, Alexander. I have to have an EPIRB for ocean racing and rather than idle away it's spare and expensive time in a drawer I keep it in the car, where it may be more useful. Because I have a 4x4 Koleos I visit plenty of areas in the Victorian hills and high country where I can guarantee you there is not a scrap of phone coverage. If I do come to grief up there for whatever unexpected reason, I like to the thought of being able to call for help if my life is in danger.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    There are plenty of locations in Sydney with no mobile coverage - usually North Shore valleys. Coverage in the Hawkesbury shire area only 50km away is very patchy indeed. Go further away, and off the main highways, and see how you go.

i think you are very much overstating it. being a vodafone customer, i am well acquainted with lack of coverage, but that almost always means there is an "SOS" where the strength bars go.

would you care to nominate somewhere in sydney with no cell phone coverage from any network?

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    It's quite simple really, Alexander. I have to have an EPIRB for ocean racing and rather than idle away it's spare and expensive time in a drawer I keep it in the car,
    thanks for the clarification. 'keep it with me at all times' = 'i keep it in the glovebox of my car'.

1000+ Posts

somewhere in sydney with no cell phone coverage from any network?
    My own home, northern Sydney. I have Voda and Optus carrier phones that don't work here. Telstra visitors join us in walking to a working spot if they wish to use their mobiles. No signal areas occur around Sydney where there are deep valleys. Try driving in the Hawkesbury valley north of Windsor (not so far from the CBD) for regularly disappearing signals and no-service-from-anyone locations. There are no public phones out there either.

Banned

i suppose you mean on the roads following the hawkesbury river around Leets Vale etc?
    which suburb in sydney are you talking about?

1000+ Posts

i suppose you mean on the roads following the hawkesbury river around Leets Vale etc?
    which suburb in sydney are you talking about?
    Alexander;like a dog with a bone. In my experience there are also plenty of areas in the Blue Mts.with no reception. Sounds like a real safety device unlike the fluffy dogs hanging off rear view mirrors,Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by alhantos View Post
    Alexander;like a dog with a bone. In my experience there are also plenty of areas in the Blue Mts.with no reception. Sounds like a real safety device unlike the fluffy dogs hanging off rear view mirrors,Andy.
    Parts of Brisbane have no coverage either - The Gap, parts of Samford and the suburbs behind Ipswich are well known dead spots.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

thanks for the clarification. 'keep it with me at all times' = 'i keep it in the glovebox of my car'.
    Perhaps you'd better get one and keep it with you at all times for when we eventually meet!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alhantos View Post
    when people tell me things which conflict with my understanding, or merely about things i dont know about, i generally try to get some detail i can verify myself. is there something wrong with that? i understand the 'dog with a bone' comment entirely, but it is only because alot of people are so steadfast in avoiding simply answering the simple question, for whatever their reasons may be.

typically, others seem most affronted that anyone would question what they say, or have the audacity to ask for details. why? if you ask me anything about my assertions, i will happily tell you as much detail as you would like to hear. as you can see, as yet, the name of the suburb in which seasink lives appears to be a secret for some reason. or maybe he is just busy doing real things and not reading AF in the last 24 hours.....

in this case, it isnt any comment on Seasink per se, except that what has been said is really unclear. likewise 'plenty of areas in the blue mountains with no reception'. are we talking suburbs, or wollangambe canyon? are we talking 'no reception on my phone', or 'no reception on any phone'?

if i am going to get anything useful out of typing on discussion forums, then i need to know what is or is not being said. without that, i cant know whether my current beliefs are right, or wrong, nor have i learnt anything i can repeat, or test, or anything. at the risk of sounding cynical, and speaking generally and not necessarily in relation to anything here, life experience has strongly taught me that when the precise details are hard to elicit, it is generally because they are unfounded.
    Last edited by alexander; 15th February 2014 at 01:32 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Perhaps you'd better get one and keep it with you at all times for when we eventually meet!
    so they can find my remains, no doubt

1000+ Posts

Alexander, I live in low area of the North Shore. Believe me, neither my place nor my near neighbours have mobile reception. The transmitters are obscured by ridges.

As to Leets Vale, you don't have to go that far away from the suburbs at all. Telstra has transmitters at Wilberforce, Ebenezer and Lower Portland. Optus is often best got on one bar if you are lucky from Kurrajong Heights 30 odd km away. The winding valley and its deep tributaries go in and out of coverage from where the river goes into the valley near Ebenezer all the way to its northernmost reach. A stuck ecall car here will stay stuck.

As for remoteness, the river is the county boundary - the edge of the metropolitan area.

so they can find my remains, no doubt
    Hmmm! Never thought of that...............

COL

Surely if such a system was introduced here it would work on the satellites like an EPIRB and not the terrestrial phone system due to its patchy coverage.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

ecall will be like the "Info" radio channel/s they use OS. Not much use here!

1000+ Posts

Cit C5s already have a proprietary equivalent of no use here. eCall will dial 112 on the mobile network automatically after impact.

Russia has our problem with missing phone coverage and has a system ERA-GLONASS that involves satellites and GPS.

UFO

Cit C5s already have a proprietary equivalent of no use here. eCall will dial 112 on the mobile network automatically after impact.
    Why is it of no use? Mind you this is the first I have heard of it. Is it on the later C5 X7 only?

Russia has our problem with missing phone coverage and has a system ERA-GLONASS that involves satellites and GPS and letting Putin know what is going on.
    Fixed it for you
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information