Skipton and broadband
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Skipton and broadband

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default Skipton and broadband

G'day,

seems to be a choice between Optus with WiFi and Telstra with ADSL. Or, their multitude of resellers and mountains of confusing "deals"

Overall it seems to be that ADSL has better rates per megawhatsit, and they all have unattainable speeds and no straight answers..... depends on this and depends on that.....

The current Telstra ADSL home bundle offer of $85/100GB a month, that's $20 off for new customers, sounds fairly reasonable. Discount applies for as long as you are on the plan, minimum 24mths. The way internet pricings work there will probably something better 12mths down the track anyway.

Any comments please ? Any local western district companies we should look at ?

Advertisement

cheers,
    Bob

Have you looked at iiNet? They use Telstra infrastructure but seem to offer reasonable rates.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2353 View Post
    Have you looked at iiNet? They use Telstra infrastructure but seem to offer reasonable rates.
    Been with them for a few years;no problems,Andy.

Bob, have a look at Aussie Broadband. I used to use them for ADSL in Bendigo and satellite in Warrnambool. Their dual headquarters are in Warrnambool and Morwell. In Warrnambool I now use Telstra mobile broadband, because they tell me I am too far from the exchange to get ADSL (even though my next door neighbour who is further away has it) and at the time Aussie's mobile service did not reach my area. But I do prefer a small ISP to Telstra, so I might have another talk to Aussie.

I think ADSL is more reliable than mobile. Every so often my mobile modem overcooks itself and I have to cool it down.

Roger

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by 2353 View Post

G'day,
    I use iinet, no serious trouble in the past 10 years or so. A plus is that there is no 'over' charges. "If you exceed your quota, your download speed is shaped for the remainder of your billing month, except on freezone.
    The iiNet Freezone is a hand-picked set of sites, servers and entertainment you can visit without using up your monthly quota. Better still, if the unthinkable happens and you do max out your quota, you can still hit up the Freezone at full speed."*
    * taken from iinet's site.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

I haven't used Telstra in a long while but stay away from Optus.
    They really rape you on the overusage charges.
    (I am really pissed that each month they include this lovely flyer telling me how much cheaper than Telstra they are if you go over your download/upload quota but they charge around 2cents per MB).
    My grandson has discovered Minecraft and spends hours online. You can't watch them all day every day.
    I asked Optus if they can just block the service or reduce the speed when the quota has been exceeded. Nope, the best they can do is send you an email or SMS telling you once you're over. Of course, the next plan up is double the price and probably still wouldn't would be enough.

Seems like all the service providers only provide good deals if you bundle the internet with a mobile and/or home phone service.
    But the smaller providers (IINET, Dodo, etc.) seem to offer the better deals.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

bob
    1000+ Posts

Thanks fellas,

ok, I checked out ii & AB, at least one of them wanted an "active" telephone line, which I assume means it has a telephone hanging off it - there is none [connection that is, line is there], which means connection fees I suppose for telstra or somebody plus line rental and all that stuff.

When you look closely at them, Bigpond included, there's not really much in it - unless I'm missing something in the fine print. Of course BP have the $20 off, well chosen by the looks of it to directly compete with the hangers on.

The other angle is service standard. I'm damn sure that if I was renting something to a competitor I'd make sure that it wasn't quite as good as the same article that I was reserving for my own use......

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

ADSL is a way to run the internet over a phone line, so yes, you need one of those installed at least physically if not with a service currently on it. Skipton has only Tel$tra exchange equipment installed, which means a lot of the cheaper internet deals from other ISPs will not be available.

Bigpond is for those who don't mind paying extra (read the conditions carefully, and note the contract period, and the way they charge for up and downloads). Most other companies are also Telstra Wholesale resellers, and usually can give you more for a lot less $ from exactly the same exchange equipment. If you make many "trunk" or OS calls consider using a VoIP provider (phone over internet).

My many bush relies in NSW mostly use Exetel, either via ADSL or wireless.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

well, Telstra accepted our application, allocated a nice new 'phone number, then took four weeks to tell me that there were no ports available for ADSL.....

Wouldn't happen in the eastern suburbs....

Looks like we're stuck with the overpriced mobile stuff, not happy Jan.....

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

Hi Bob

This was a common situation when ADSL was initially being rolled out, but was usually temporary, as (eventually) Telstra would plug in another box and Hey Presto! - more ports magically available!

Does Telstra have such a thing as a waiting list? Sooner or later yo should get your ADSL...

Cheers

Alec

PS - I live a couple of km too far from the edge of town, and the only current alternative to wireless/mobile is slow satellite...

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Alec,

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    .....I live a couple of km too far from the edge of town, and the only current alternative to wireless/mobile is slow satellite...
    hmmmmm, there's a dish on the roof, there's one on damn near every roof in town. I assumed that it was for Foxtell or something similar, is there another alternative to the mobile lot ?

Cost per GB is terrible on the mobile system. Phone reception is good though with the mast visible about a half mile up the road - ordinary TV is similar, pointed stick for an antenna.

cheers,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

well, Telstra accepted our application, allocated a nice new 'phone number, then took four weeks to tell me that there were no ports available for ADSL.....

Wouldn't happen in the eastern suburbs....

Looks like we're stuck with the overpriced mobile stuff, not happy Jan.....

cheers,
    Bob
    Not sure about the Eastern Suburbs in Sydney but in Brisbane and I am only about 12 km (direct line) from CBD is not much better. I have been in this location for 12 years and until 1.5 years ago dial up or wireless were my only options. Telstra very graciously upgraded their infrastructure and I was able to get ADSL (not ADSL 2) 1.5 years ago which I had to take is as daughter is at doing programming at Uni and wireless downloads limits were grossly inadequate.

I don't think the poor service is confined to rural areas, it's alive and well in suburbs.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

Telstra does have an update list - see Telstra Wholesale - Leader in Wholesale Telecommunications - ADSL reports and plans.

It's unfortunate to be in a Tel$tra-only area, because all the options available are dearish. Don't fall for charged uploads or 24 month contracts. Almost any of the resellers will get you the Telstra Wholesale product more cheaply than Telstra retail. I've found Exetel useful, particularly their bundled packages, although they too charge more for Telstra Wholesale exchanges than for, say, Optus ports.

Distance from the exchange determines your speed, and eventually whether a rural customer can be connected at all. It may not be just available ports. Rural areas often improve things over urban areas by using greater diameter cabling, which extends the range.

I do know of an ADSL system that worked for a few years in a hilly rural part of NSW with few ports and no new ones available - a single connection was shared by wireless between several properties. It needed good neighbour relationships and a regular reading of individual usage from the router.

1000+ Posts

Bob

Sounds like you have exhausted the Telstra local help.

Maybe its time to walk the neighbourhood and ask the locals what they find most reliable and cost effective for their internet needs.

Not much help I know but maybe a local will be able to guide you to a solution.

I use Melbourne PC User Group in the country for mobile business broadband but the Optus/Huwei wireless dongle is a bit problematic and prone to dropouts and they are having issues with their email server at the moment, otherwise it is reasonable in price if you can get past those issues.

Ken

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Ken,

the issue that I have trouble with on the wireless lot is the lousy included GB action and what they charge when you step over the line !

I think Optus were amongst the top chargers, $10/GB, or part thereof, without looking it up

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

Hi Bob

If the dish on your roof was for Internet, it would have two cables connected (as computers need to send as well as receive). There should also be a powered receiver/modem unit at the other end of the cables. Suspect that your dish will be for TV, as they are more common.

There used to be a satellite subsidy for people who couldn't get broadband any other way, but that scheme terminated in 2011 . Unfortunately without the subsidy, the initial setup is pricey...

Cheers

Alec

bob
    1000+ Posts

Thanks Alec,

I'll check the cable bit, yep, I suspect it's for TV also.

cheers,
    Bob

Bob, if you want an internet satellite dish and modem you can have my old one for free if you come and remove it. Be warned the ipstar satellite I used is awful. So low in the sky half the trees in the district get in the way of the signal. If it's hot or windy or wet the signal drops out. Give me wireless any day. I'm with Tel$tra by the way.

Roger

bob
    1000+ Posts

Thanks Roger,

aaaah satellite.... 'nuff said.....

Guess that we might have to try a couple of prepaids and see how they go. 4g is supposed to be available according to the Optus site, all the vendors sit almost next to each other at the Werribee Plaza, a tour could be in order whilst we are in Hoppers.

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

Icon5 Interim solutions costs and benefits!

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day Ken,

the issue that I have trouble with on the wireless lot is the lousy included GB action and what they charge when you step over the line !

I think Optus were amongst the top chargers, $10/GB, or part thereof, without looking it up

cheers,
    Bob
    This one doesn't seem to have any add on charges, you become a member at $60 per annum and then the deal was initially $210 per annum and a one off $37.50 for the modem, base entry was in May 2011 1.5gig download per month, minimal but then so is the price and connects fine to all the site where I need access while away from home - initially worked fine on the Melb PC group email but lately has some issues, that I hope are sorted soon when I get some time at home. Too much travelling!!

Modem supplied was a Huawei e169 wireless dongle via the Optus 3G Network. They did warn

a final note on the performance of this an any other wireless broadband modem. The connection you have to the internet cannot be better than the minute -by-minute strength of the signal it receives from your local Optus mobile phone tower, at the precise location where the modem (or its antenna) is currently placed. Signal strength can sometimes change dramatically and quickly - one cause mentioned by a member is the moment when school students come out of class and switch on their mobile phones, all at the same time
    It also goes on to mention similar issues with ADSL, where the download speed changes depending upon how many users are sharing the network and many of the other related issues mentioned many times by Robmac in the fibre to the home and options of mixed wireless or other line connections from a node debate.

I guess there are other options using the 4g network with higher download speeds per month, as this was only the base entry level that we took up, though we have not seen the need to explore those other levels/options as yet as it connects when and where we want it and it seems fast enough for our modest needs at this time. I guess it comes down to what you might want to put up with to satisfy your needs.

And of course you don't need the expense of a phone line connected - horses for courses.

Knowing your negotiating skills and nose for best for less, I am sure you will come up with some deal to suit your location and internet needs.

Good luck mate!

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

well, we ended up with one of these fellas Virgin Mobile Australia | Virgin Mobile Australia | 4G Wifi Modem which comes with a 12GB/month plan at $40, which becomes $35 as we already have mobiles with them.

At half the price of Telstra ADSL, which we're not allowed to have due to lack of ports, I guess that we can do without a landline and all those extra GBs Have to stop getting DVDs via the cloud......

3G mast is half a mile up the road so reception is great. Now, is there a way to connect this thing to the old hard wired ethernet outfit..... ?

cheers,
    Bob

Now, is there a way to connect this thing to the old hard wired ethernet outfit..... ?
    In a word no.

You are now locked into WiFi connections to the router.

Never mind, the USB (or PCI) wifi network "cards" for the PCs are cheap enough. I've had good success with Dlink (Cisco) and Netgear products.

MSY sell them from $20-$50. If you have USB2 on your PC I'd go for USB device. If not go for PCI device.

Check compatibly with XP and your hardware/pci bus if purchasing the latter.

bob
    1000+ Posts

Thanks Rob,

we had a couple of these N150 High Power USB 2.0 Wireless Network Adaptor - Jaycar Electronics which we got to use with the smart 'phone, also seem to work well with the Virgin unit. I've since heard that there is a modem/router that will accept the Virgin SIM with old school Ethernet sockets, but haven't found it yet.

The Virgin unit does have a mini USB socket for charging, and, they supply a matching data cable which apparently allows "tethering" in some form or another but we haven't had time to investigate this one.

cheers,
    Bob

Thread Information