amazing austin
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: amazing austin

Default amazing austin

Had some friends round for dinner last night, and my housemates friend turns up in a lovely old Morris 1100 automatic, early 60's vintage. The thing about it was that it had 17000 miles on it from new . Looked brand new, absolutlely mint original paint and interior, original tyres everything - the only thing that had ever been done to it was a new dynamo. Belonged to his friends granny who literally drove to shops once in a blue moon - apart from that it sat in a garage for 40 years. Was like looking back in time. The truly amazing thing was that he bought it for $400!!!! I reckon it would be worth at least $4000, though it would be hard to put a price on such a rare car.

Advertisement

Wish I could find 504 LTi or an R10S or a Rover 2000 or etc etc... like that
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Had some friends round for dinner last night, and my housemates friend turns up in a lovely old Morris 1100 automatic, early 60's vintage. The thing about it was that it had 17000 miles on it from new . Looked brand new, absolutlely mint original paint and interior, original tyres everything - the only thing that had ever been done to it was a new dynamo. Belonged to his friends granny who literally drove to shops once in a blue moon - apart from that it sat in a garage for 40 years. Was like looking back in time. The truly amazing thing was that he bought it for $400!!!! I reckon it would be worth at least $4000, though it would be hard to put a price on such a rare car.

Wish I could find 504 LTi or an R10S or a Rover 2000 or etc etc... like that
    $4K for a Morry 1100 Auto, you must be kidding! Even in the UK it wouldn't be worth that.

But I do understand what you are getting at. So many times though I have seen what happens to cars like that with the subsequent owners. About 12 years ago there was a red 12 from the first batch in 1970 that was up for deceased estate sale 40,000 miles, pristine cond. It was run up at auction and sold to a very excited lady obviously bought for the daughter. By chance I saw the car 18 months later it was beaten up on every corner and had a very crumpled front bumper.

Two other Dauphine Gordini's I know suffered similar fates too, although one of those has since been restored to its former glory.

Now I just have to find where the pristine early white 12 with orange upholstery is that I see every so often........

This car is not going to suffer the same fate, as it is not used daily - it just gets a run every now and then to keep it in good nick, spends most of its time under a car cover. The owner is only about 20 or so, but is an english car nut, with a passion for a series engines. Has an MG Midget, mini, and a few other toys.

Very cute little car My Grandfather used to have Morry 1100s as company cars in the late 60s. His company kept trying to give him Holden Premiers as he was quite high up in his company and they felt it fitted the image better. But he insisted on the Morry, saying it was easier to drive and more comfortable. And he just loved them.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

When I was little our family car was a manual Morris 1100 - a lovely car. For years I lusted after a good 1800, which I saw as a sort of grown-up version. I would still like one - there was a nice example in Albury the other day...
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

I have an Austin 1100 Countryman station wagon tucked away somewhere. It was a badge engineered version of the Morris, but in England they were available as a Morris, Austin, Wolesley, Riley, VandenPlas, and MG. They were in 4 door sedan like here, but with bucket seats in the front and the handbrake in the centre, 2 door sedan with hinged seats, and a 3 door wagon sith reclining seats and a back seat that would fold forwards of backwards to make a bed.
    This one was a private import in the late 60s (it is a 65 model) and I was going to restore it until I fell head over heels for the 403.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

The low gearing of this model saw one beat me off the lights the other day... and a Festiva or something too.

I can't even remember where this happened, but it must have been somewhere in Sydney. It was brown, and it looked just like a brown Morris 1100 should have looked in about 1975... straight, the paint wearing, goiing well.

Of course, by 1975 most of them were on the way to the tip... but they shouldn't have been.

I have a friend who drives one regularly in Goulburn... recently I found a spare car for him in Canberra. Which is fair, he found (for me...) a disc brake 404 in a wrecking yard that yielded the discs, calipers and caliper mounts for a very low price.

Thread Information