Chinese innovation
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Chinese innovation

Default Chinese innovation

Seeing that Renault/Nissan and PSA are so deeply involved in China, which is shortly to make a takeover bid for France, I thought this bit of Chinese transport innovation might be considered Froggie Chat
    Incredible way of future transportation-Straddling Bus(3D bus) - YouTube

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Don't tell me, Gerry! It doesn't have a driver? With only 2.2m road clearance I can imagine the operators having to clean the front of the straddle bus of tradies vans with ladders on every couple of hundred metres. The straddle would exclude all delivery vehicles and trucks from the route as well. Pie in the sky , I think!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I think it's a truly innovative take on city congestion, in the sense that nobody else thought of something similar before. Sure there are difficulties, but even if it never gets built, it has opened the doors to new ideas. Keep in mind, if the car was invented today it would never get off the ground so to speak. With 1.2 billion people it was inevitable that the chinese would one day make their mark in the world we live in. The message I get from this is that Oz (and many other countries as well) should get off their individual and/or collective butts and get innovating if they want to remain relevant in the future. The future belongs to the ingenious.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Would be great instead of these mobile chicanes (trams) in Melbourne. The Chinese are creaming us with their get up and go.
    Not much good looking back, Kim.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Their get up and go and borrowed (read stolen) technology. Australians are still constantly producing world beating products, particularly in the area of medicine. It's just a pity our research ends up as products made overseas because people with a similar mindset to yours have no belief in our ability to do anything anymore. I don't know why you don't all just walk off and leave the place. It must be so much better elsewhere. Can you give me a list of fifty modern wholly Chinese innovations in current use worldwide today? 40? 20? 10?

I'm not the only one thinking that our batting average per head of population is better than theirs.

http://designmind.frogdesign.com/art...rom-china.html
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 3rd February 2014 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I think it's a truly innovative take on city congestion, in the sense that nobody else thought of something similar before.
    I guess you never watched inspector gadget as a kid...

16 Real Modern Technologies Predicted by Inspector Gadget | Vanity Fair

Jo

I'm not sure in what way it's enormously different from a conventional elevated train, other than an absence of unsightly tracks and their supports. Seems to have a lot of engineering challenges for little benefit over existing ideas.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Their get up and go and borrowed (read stolen) technology. Australians are still constantly producing world beating products, particularly in the area of medicine. It's just a pity our research ends up as products made overseas because people with a similar mindset to yours have no belief in our ability to do anything anymore. I don't know why you don't all just walk off and leave the place. It must be so much better elsewhere. Can you give me a list of fifty modern wholly Chinese innovations in current use worldwide today? 40? 20? 10?

I'm not the only one thinking that our batting average per head of population is better than theirs.

Will We Ever See Another Four Great Inventions from China? | design mind
    Printing
    How many is that worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Poo-Go View Post
    I'm not sure in what way it's enormously different from a conventional elevated train, other than an absence of unsightly tracks and their supports. Seems to have a lot of engineering challenges for little benefit over existing ideas.

I was thinking about that. Not sure how different it would be, or you could compare it to a normal (underground) train, but their innovation is that it doesn't seem to need as much infrastructure built as an underground or suspended train.

There are similar things elsewhere, like the o-bahn in Adelaide (a purpose built track that basically transform the bus in a train) and elsewhere in Europe, but these need the special track to work. The chinese idea makes use of existing roads (true, needs some add-ons).

Kim, I am sure we can be as innovative as anyone else, and I am aware of our past (and recent) contributions, but what I do not see is signs of a programatic intent to keep it that way.

And whilst the Chinese are accused of stealing something or other, I would like to point out that only recently we won (literally, in court) the right to be paid back by american companies that stole the Wifi technology invented by a CSIRO mathematician. Stealing is not new in technology and I am not sure who (as a nation) should throw the first stone about anything.

True that, Jo. I didn't.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    Printing
    How many is that worth?
    From the link I quoted: "China’s Four Great Inventions—papermaking, the compass, gunpowder, and printing—were innovations from bygone eras."

I was thinking about that. Not sure how different it would be, or you could compare it to a normal (underground) train, but their innovation is that it doesn't seem to need as much infrastructure built as an underground or suspended train.

There are similar things elsewhere, like the o-bahn in Adelaide (a purpose built track that basically transform the bus in a train) and elsewhere in Europe, but these need the special track to work. The chinese idea makes use of existing roads (true, needs some add-ons).

Kim, I am sure we can be as innovative as anyone else, and I am aware of our past (and recent) contributions, but what I do not see is signs of a programatic intent to keep it that way.

And whilst the Chinese are accused of stealing something or other, I would like to point out that only recently we won (literally, in court) the right to be paid back by american companies that stole the Wifi technology invented by a CSIRO mathematician. Stealing is not new in technology and I am not sure who (as a nation) should throw the first stone about anything.

True that, Jo. I didn't.
    The only thing Australians have stolen was the land we live in. Other people are currently "stealing" Australia's resources.

As far as the gantry bus goes, it requires 22 x 10.00x20 tyres to support 42 tonnes on the road. Add another 12 tyres for another 20 tonnes. These will all be running in single file due to width design constraints so unless the gantry bus is made of unobtainium they would be putting enormous pressure on their supporting substrate. Watching the video of the assembly going around corners indicates that the proposers of this amazing and revolutionary concept have their hands firmly in their trouser pockets, invariable with no bottoms in the pockets either.

Try this one (after Sydney has just demolished theirs)
    Mumbai celebrates world-class monorail - Video | The Times of India

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    The only thing Australians have stolen was the land we live in. Other people are currently "stealing" Australia's resources.
    Bull. We didn't steal the land. The Poms did that. Then they called it Australia and now it is ours because we are Australians.

Originally it was called Gondwana. Then the aborigines called it Gone Walkabout. Then the Poms came and the aborigines called it Gone With The Wind. This all occurred because of that Chinese invention - gunpowder, which was superior to the aborigine's invention of the boomerang.

John
    The Chinese first came here to scavenge through the tailings of gold mines because there were no Chinese restaurants at that time for them to work in. Then the gold ran out and we ended up with a Chinese restaurant in every town in Australia.

1000+ Posts

Keep in mind, if the car was invented today it would never get off the ground.
    Poppycock. The car has had millennia of development contributing to its basic form as we know it from the days of carts, chariots, buggies, wagons..Keep in mind they were originally called horseless carriages.. It's a natural progression of technological iterations, to the point of mass acceptance, usage and dependency. Something with such a long development life cycle makes sense to the end user and the benefits are not hard to grasp.

The elevated gantry on the other hand..

Banned

I

True that, Jo. I didn't.
    while there was a legal dispute about that, it was not theft, and it was NOTHING on the grand scale of chinese based hacking, with a view to outright theft of intellectual property and data, from foreign corporations and governments. comparing the two is absurd.

What was it, then?

True, I was looking at the bus going around corners and wondering how it would actually work in reality. All the same, even if it doesn't get built is still innovative. Think of Leonardo's innovations of which I don't think there was one built in his time.

Poppycock it may be, but the internal combustion engine was much younger, and that is what I think would stop it from being built today. Think of those innovative nuclear powered cars that aren't going to be built because of our fear of radioactivity.

1000+ Posts

Think of those innovative nuclear powered cars that aren't going to be built because of our fear of radioactivity.
    And of fairly large explosions

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Bull. We didn't steal the land. The Poms did that. Then they called it Australia and now it is ours because we are Australians.

Originally it was called Gondwana. Then the aborigines called it Gone Walkabout. Then the Poms came and the aborigines called it Gone With The Wind. This all occurred because of that Chinese invention - gunpowder, which was superior to the aborigine's invention of the boomerang.

John
    The Chinese first came here to scavenge through the tailings of gold mines because there were no Chinese restaurants at that time for them to work in. Then the gold ran out and we ended up with a Chinese restaurant in every town in Australia.
    That's why they are well looked after now if they choose to avail themselves.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    Those would be reasonably small. Maybe on par with Oz day fireworks.

But the main reason is that once built such an engine would need no maintenance over its entire life which could be considerable if the right isotope would be chosen. Car manufacturing would enjoy a long sabbatical and car service would be reduced to changing brake pads.

...................... Car manufacturing would enjoy a long sabbatical and car service would be reduced to changing brake pads.
    Only for the drivers that slow down a lot. I believe it was Stirling Moss who said that because most collisions occur at intersections he made a point of spending as little time as possible in them.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    In the game of oneupmanship, when talking about your old car, you could state that "my old bomb is better than yours" and win the argument everytime.

John

The recall of Aston Martin accelerator pedals is a good example of why the Chinese are not yet ready to try to emulate the global standards of quality and reliability.

Thread Information