Funny thing happened in the dealership today
  • Register
  • Help

Default Funny thing happened in the dealership today

Some guy came in today looking at a used MINI. He told me he had a 1960 something MINI Cooper S. I thought..... uh huh. Here we go again....

Then the funny thing happened. He struggled to get into the back seats of the MINI with his daughter. You know; trying it for leg-room and foot-room.
    He sort of shook his head sadly and said....
    "It's too small."
    I said, "well it is a MINI"
    He said, "there's nowhere to put my feet."
    I said" perhaps you should look at a Statesman."

Advertisement

You gotta wonder don't you. This guy with a beard gets into one of the smallest cars on the road, which is named in a way to emphasise its size; tells me he owns an earlier version of the car and then acts very surprised and slightly disgusted when the car turns out to be too small.
    Car salesmen deserve danger money.

The new Mini is larger than the original though. I guess he must have assumed that it would have had more interior space as a result.

But yeah, it is a Mini, you can't expect limosine stretch space inside.

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

I personally found the old Mini to have loads of leg and headroom, especially considering it's exterior dimensions.
    The interior space of the new Mini, on the other hand, is nothing special, but MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the rebodied Golf that Volkswagen passes of as a Beetle.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Jez 405
    I personally found the old Mini to have loads of leg and headroom, especially considering it's exterior dimensions.
    The interior space of the new Mini, on the other hand, is nothing special, but MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the rebodied Golf that Volkswagen passes of as a Beetle.
    Well that's because the Golf itself has atrocious rear leg room. Shockingly bad, IMO.

As for new Mini, that's just hilarous Warwick! I must say, my day spent car shopping today was the most pleasant I've ever had. Maybe it's because of the particular marques I visited, or just plain luck, but I really did expect the bottom of the barrel service at Ford, but got decent service! Anyway, re: new Mini, there's a decent amount of room there, but nothing above a supermini, such as my Micra.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

nJm

One of my best dealer experiences came from a Ford Dealer. I was looking at the Focus, and this guy was really enthusiastic, asking me to find twisty roads so I could try throwing it around. Next stop was a Holden dealer, where a rather irritating man spent attempted to spell out all the fascinating differences between an Astra City and Equip, and then what ABS does... it didn't help that I didn't like the car either.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    One of my best dealer experiences came from a Ford Dealer. I was looking at the Focus, and this guy was really enthusiastic, asking me to find twisty roads so I could try throwing it around. Next stop was a Holden dealer, where a rather irritating man spent attempted to spell out all the fascinating differences between an Astra City and Equip, and then what ABS does... it didn't help that I didn't like the car either.
    That's how Peugeot dealers used to sell a Peugeot! Not sure how they sell a 307 nowadays.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Thread Information