New Hydrophopic spray
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Hydrophopic spray

Default New Hydrophopic spray

Bye bye brolly: how to stay dry for ever | Technology | The Observer

Advertisement

awesome, but wondering about possible use on cars?
    I used autoglym paint renovator and then the resin polish on most of my car, it's bloody fantastic, but dust and dirt and stuff still seems stick on the top

1000+ Posts

Sounds great if no chemicals are used like in Teflon (perfluorooctanoic acid) -nasty stuff.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Hardly a new technology.

Starkey (and others) have been using the technology to "water proof" hearing instruments for quite a few years. Hydra shield 2 is oleo phobic as well.

https://starkeypro.com/pdfs/technica...Protection.pdf

https://starkeypro.com/resources/sta...ure-resistance
    Last edited by robmac; 6th January 2014 at 05:44 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Sounds great if no chemicals are used like in Teflon (perfluorooctanoic acid) -nasty stuff.
    i know, i know. i dont mind it on my frypan, but no way would i have that toxic crap on my clothes.

JBN

Back to the original article - the best thing for the British that don't like rain or getting wet is to come to Australia for the Ashes.

Not too much time looking at cricket, but plenty of opportunity to enjoy the sun and escape the rain. Toxicity is in the hands of the imbiber.

John

1000+ Posts

Yeah they would have had to fill in their time somewhere else as the cricket was over very quickly.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    i know, i know. i dont mind it on my frypan, but no way would i have that toxic crap on my clothes.
    Perhaps you'll change your mind if you read the findings of the C8 Science panel whose report came out in late 2012. It relates to Dupont's release of PFOA in Parkersburg, West Virginia.
    Then again, you probably wont
    Stephen Hawking

Will they be applying the coating to bed linen?

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Will they be applying the coating to bed linen?
    As a birth control measure.

JBN

I am safe. Shit nevers sticks to me, or if it does I never notice.

John

I knew a bloke we used to call "Teflon". Musta been a relative....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Banned

Perhaps you'll change your mind if you read the findings of the C8 Science panel whose report came out in late 2012. It relates to Dupont's release of PFOA in Parkersburg, West Virginia.
    Then again, you probably wont
    ok so i had a look.

*the case is about alleged poisoning by PFOA aka C8, not teflon
    *the alleged poisoning was due to PFOA getting into a water supply from a Dupont factory.
    *C8 is used in the manufacture of teflon, but this case does not involve evidence that teflon is in any way harmful, or even consider that issue.
    *C8 is used in the manufacture of alot of other things other than teflon.

it would be understatement to say that there are many chemicals which, if ingested when that is not intended, can harm or kill you. like, most i would think. that said, it seems that C8 is present in the blood in almost everyone, so even if you are talking about this chemical, then concentration is likely relevant to the issue of whether or not it is harmful. that a chemical is harmful if ingested, hardly extrapolates to the conclusion that anything manufactured using it, is harmful. all the more when taht other product is either not ingested, or ingested in tiny amounts. that, essentially, is what you are implying.

example: chromium is highly toxic. chromium is used in the manufacture of stainless steel cookware. stainless steel cookware is not harmful to you.

i am going to just guess that i can find a similar chemical used in the manufacture of cast iron too, with a bit of digging. so if you believe this sort of story, then cooking at the jobo household could become quite a problem.

nor does it mean that the microscopic bits of teflon one likely ingests from crappy old teflon coated cookware is harmful. you may not be aware of this, but some elements can be very harmful when included in some molecular structures, and not all, or beneficial, in others.

JBN

I have heard that old Teflon frypans can be harmful to ones health. At that stage, the non-stick properties have all but dissipated and the object should be replaced anyway. I like using Teflon frypans as I don't need to use oil. Probably a moot point but I like to have choice in the way I die.

John

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    ok so i had a look.

*the case is about alleged poisoning by PFOA aka C8, not teflon
    *the alleged poisoning was due to PFOA getting into a water supply from a Dupont factory.
    *C8 is used in the manufacture of teflon, but this case does not involve evidence that teflon is in any way harmful, or even consider that issue.
    *C8 is used in the manufacture of alot of other things other than teflon.

it would be understatement to say that there are many chemicals which, if ingested when that is not intended, can harm or kill you. like, most i would think. that said, it seems that C8 is present in the blood in almost everyone, so even if you are talking about this chemical, then concentration is likely relevant to the issue of whether or not it is harmful. that a chemical is harmful if ingested, hardly extrapolates to the conclusion that anything manufactured using it, is harmful. all the more when taht other product is either not ingested, or ingested in tiny amounts. that, essentially, is what you are implying.

example: chromium is highly toxic. chromium is used in the manufacture of stainless steel cookware. stainless steel cookware is not harmful to you.

i am going to just guess that i can find a similar chemical used in the manufacture of cast iron too, with a bit of digging. so if you believe this sort of story, then cooking at the jobo household could become quite a problem.

nor does it mean that the microscopic bits of teflon one likely ingests from crappy old teflon coated cookware is harmful. you may not be aware of this, but some elements can be very harmful when included in some molecular structures, and not all, or beneficial, in others.
    Thought you'd come up with that. Used teflon pans in the past but found that they wear quite a bit and i'd rather not eat the stuff.
    The Collins St. dentist i used to see for many years always told me that mercury in my fillings is so bound up i could swallow it and it would not raise my mercury levels in the system
    No doubt, one is exposed to many chemicals, indeed many are difficult to avoid but at least i try when i can easily do without some of the doubtful ones.
    Stephen Hawking

Banned

Thought you'd come up with that.
    Ie the sensible, logical answer.

Fellow Frogger!

First time on site in absolutely ages and i have to throw a spanner in the works. This is the Teflon that i grew up with
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    poly(1,1,2,2-tetrafluoroethylene)[1]

Syncolon, Fluon, Poly(tetrafluoroethene), Poly(difluoromethylene), Poly(tetrafluoroethylene)
    Identifiers
    Abbreviations PTFE

Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene that has numerous applications. The best known brand name of PTFE is Teflon by DuPont Co.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Boulton View Post
    First time on site in absolutely ages and i have to throw a spanner in the works. This is the Teflon that i grew up with
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    poly(1,1,2,2-tetrafluoroethylene)[1]

Syncolon, Fluon, Poly(tetrafluoroethene), Poly(difluoromethylene), Poly(tetrafluoroethylene)
    Identifiers
    Abbreviations PTFE

Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene that has numerous applications. The best known brand name of PTFE is Teflon by DuPont Co.
    Not at all, Ron. Alex has pointed out that C8 are used in the making of Teflon.

cancer.org
    Other than the possible risk of fumes from an overheated pan, there are no known risks to humans from using Teflon-coated cookware. While PFOA is used in making Teflon, it is not present (or is present in extremely small amounts) in Teflon-coated products. .....
    Because birds are very sensitive to fumes released by non-stick cookware, some organizations of pet bird owners recommend minimizing a bird's exposure to these fumes by keeping pet birds out of the kitchen or by increasing ventilation if non-stick cookware is used.
    I'm just weary of PFC's.
    If teflon fumes are no good for birds, then.... (maybe it's a bit like with mercury fillings?)
    DuPont's own studies indicate that toxic particles start to form at 240 deg. C and at 360 deg C many toxic gases, including known carcinogens are released.

Wasn't the initial idea that finding a natural non stick product is a good thing since PFOA is not a good thing to have in our bodies?
    Agree, they way i put it was a bit clumsy.

Keep enjoying your TEFLON pans and tins etc.
    Stephen Hawking

JBN

So basically, we should only use canaries in the mine and not in the kitchen.

John

DuPont's own studies indicate that toxic particles start to form at 240 deg. C and at 360 deg C many toxic gases, including known carcinogens are released.
    I don't know how you like your food cooked JoBo, but most of us would agree that cooking anything at 360C that you wish to eat subsequently is going to have a charcoal like texture. According to the attached M.S.D.S. pyrolization occurs at 400C and if that's what's going on in your kitchen don't bother inviting me over for a cooked meal!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thread Information