Hello everyone.
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Hello everyone.

Tadpole

Default Hello everyone.

Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker but newly registered member here, thought I'd say hello. While I don't own a French car yet, there are quite a few that I fancy and as I can see myself being ruined financially by something with hydraulic suspension in the future I figured it was best that I signed up now to try and learn as much as I can.

I have always aspired to be a car designer but times have been tough for younger designers recently, particularly in Australia and so while my current employment doesn't see me using my degree, I also run a website where I post my musings on the past and present state of design and the car industry. If you're interested its The Thinker's Garage (I hope posting this is within the rules, its a hobby site I make no money off but feel free to remove this if its a problem mods).

Currently, my garage is full of Italian cars, Alfas to be precise, but they are by no means my sole automotive love.

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot and hopefully I can contribute too.

-Andrew.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Welcome - Participate - Enjoy.

Welcome! Don't let the hydraulics worry you too much. Basically it is a pump to pressurise, metal HP lines and rubber return lines. At the age of the Dees and CX/GS rubber fatigue/cracks seem to be the major problem. On the four I've got I've needed to replace one HP pump which was readily available. The major part/fun of the hydraulics seems to be actually tracing the leak! Once found it can be dealt with. Often it takes a great deal of sleuthing to locate the sod of a leak as it runs and dribbles here and there. All good fun!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AGM155 View Post

Currently, my garage is full of Italian cars, Alfas to be precise, but they are by no means my sole automotive love.

-Andrew.
    and youre worried about being financially ruined by some hydraulics!

my feeling is that no matter how much one spends tinkering on older cars, it never comes close to the depreciation associated with cars from new, so i reckon you're pretty safe.

Tadpole

Haha fair call. I think I will be financially ruined by cars no matter what.

Anyway, here's a belated christmas image I made for my site, I figured some here would enjoy it.

Err, sorry fella, but shouldn't Santa have elbow patches..?
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

1000+ Posts

Oh well he has a posse of reindeer up front, he may as well have the anorak to go with it.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

JBN

If you have a website called The Thinker's Garage and it is full of Alfa's, what were you thinking at the time?

More to the point what scary thoughts are you thinking when you contemplate hydraulic Citroens?

Have you considered seeking professional help with regards to your thoughts? I warn you in advance, most of the posters here are beyond help. Be careful that you don't become infected.

John

1000+ Posts

Default Welcome :)

Hi Andrew
    A thinker eh ? that'l be a change for AFs. Welcome to the wild and wacky world of AFs and AFers. New blood is always welcome and discussion is good even if you admit to deviant cars . Settle in . I will peruse your site when I get back on a decent internet connection.
    I have had a selection of French cars, some with hydraulics and currently hydraulics + electronics, I know which is the most scary of those two, but life's a learning experience !!!
    jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Hi and welcome Andrew
    Citroens have all the same problems as other conventionally suspended cars with some unique to the hydraulics & in my experience, mostly the least of your problems once understood.
    Each model will have it's share or potential problems & you should decide what you want from your vehicle first , decide on a model range, & seek specific advice here from those in the know.

Richard

JBN

I think you should create a Passionate Man's Garage to house the Alfas and then move the Citroens into the Thinker's Garage.

John

Tadpole

Thanks for the welcomes everyone,

My choice of car would depend on how I go financially and what comes up for sale in the next 12-18 months or so. Having dealt with a Lancia and a number of Alfas including a grey import 155 over the last few years I would consider myself pretty brave. One of the downsides to having mechanically interesting cars is that less people know what they're doing when they're working on them - you've just got to find the good guys and build a rapport with them.

Thread Information