Spelling
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Spelling

Icon11 Spelling

One thing I really like about this forum is the general air of credibility and maturity due in part to most people at least having a go at spelling words properly and not using ridiculous abbreviations. I have noticed of late however the increasing use of faddish 'SMS' style word substitution, which apart from being unnecessary and often difficult to immediately understand, has the unfortunate effect of lowering the tone of the forum. I suggest to the moderators that a general rule of spelling be established in order to prevent this superb forum becoming just another web site for the easily-led and/or illiterate to express themselves in an unsuitable manner.
    Over to you.

Advertisement
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

I must agree with this one. SMS has become the scurge of modern society and the "lingo" has inevitably found its way into everyday conversation including internet forums. Has anyone checked a dictionary to see if "M8" or "CUL8R" have made it in yet? I agree that sometimes users posts are not immediately easy to dechiper, but I suspect that trying to prevent it is nigh on impossible.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1000+ Posts

boodek, (you really need an 'a' on the end of that name )

I agree with you. The other gripe I have with some users is the complete lack of structure, punctuation and capital letters, along with no use of paragraphs. I do PM people and suggest they write in a more succinct fashion so it's easier for the rest of us to read and it seems to work out nicely for all involved

Derek.
    p.s. I do use 'sms' language when it's useful, in SMS...

I think that I may be at fault here.

Sorry but when it comes to spelling, I have some serious issues

As for "SMS" style abbreviations, I personally have no problem with them, but if people have serious issues then perhaps I will reconsider my position.

Will attempt to use proper English.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Depends what it is. I cannot stand the use of "u", etc. But I have no issues with stuff like AFAIK, IMHO, etc.

Nick

Fellow Frogger!

And when people do post in 'SMS' language they usually get shot down by other members who usually suggest a spelling lesson. Other forums I have visited I usually spend most of my time trying to work out what the hell has been written, that's probably why i spend so much time on Aussiefrogs, because I can read it.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    I think that I may be at fault here.

Sorry but when it comes to spelling, I have some serious issues

As for "SMS" style abbreviations, I personally have no problem with them, but if people have serious issues then perhaps I will reconsider my position.

Will attempt to use proper English.

shobbz
    Actually Shobbz, you have a fair go at spelling, and your usage of SMS-speak seems pretty minimal compared to what's often used by many of the newer members - as such, my original comment wasn't really aimed at you as an established, longer-term member but attempting to stem the tide as more and more people join the forum.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

I dislike swearing & the different forms it is taking to get around the swear filter.
    It's hard to keep up with some of the different spelling, which seems to be an individual thing.

posts where the carriage
    return is hit on every
    line when someone has a
    smaller screen is annoying
    to read

As is this..............where there are many dots between sentences......makes for slow reading...........for me anyway........

I can put up with spelling errors (I contribute to these) but I'm not into sms short hand.
    I considered adding the spell checker (an add on) to the board but I thought I'd wait until the full version of the software first.

Well i'm surprised at this thread, the intolerance shown to those unfortunates, that don't have A+'s in English is astounding.
    I thought the only criteria was a penchant for FRENCH Cars.

I'm a reasonable speller, but a one finger typist, this leads to typo's.
    If anybody wants to give me Grief over it, TUFF Get OVER IT.
    From memory comma's, go approximately where you'd take a breath, and you stick a full stop in occasionally.
    If your thinking of a reply, don't! i really don't care.
    Please don't turn AF Forum into AH Forum. In deference to gibgib i didn't swear so work out the AH yourself.
    Have a good weekend
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

as long as the meaning is convayed., i cant see a problem as to how its expressed..

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

totally respect boodeks opinion (and others that agree with him), nonethless, i find the idea of "this superb forum becoming just another web site for the easily-led and/or illiterate to express themselves in an unsuitable manner" because of ones linguistic or grammatical capabilities is absolutely appalling.

well done, this thread will do a magnificant job at segregating those members that fit you elitist criteria.

this forum is a community and individuals will always express their thoughts/opinions in different ways. i'd hate to see the day when everyones posts mimic one anothers.

absolutely up the hershey highway, this thread.

in respect to obscenities, i think most members know where to draw the line and is otherwise quickly policed by other members.

who or what are we going to pick on next???

apalled.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

I think the best way to tackle this is by continuing to use correct grammar in our messages. This style will prevail in the end, and I don't think we're at risk fo degenerating into FastFours.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Hmm, it's interesting to see the varied responses to this post; a mixed bag indeed, and pretty much what I would expect and hope for. However, I really can't see how expressing a desire for a basic level of English is elitist...
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

I've not bothered reading this thread due to having a few problems that outweigh the basics of what I (correctly) thought this was about, however I have to admit that I find it more than a little annoying having to take double the normal time to try & interperit what half of these "u r ok m8' type postings are all about. It becomes even more annoying when they have car problems & the brain has to drop out of mesh to rehash into English what is being asked into a mother tongue as it was taught at school.
    I am on a few overseas boards which are inhabited by people who don't claim English as their first language & at times I need to sit & engross what is being implied to in their postings, convert that to an English meaning & post an answer in terms they can understand. I can live with that & I respect these people be they Spanish, Swedes, Danes, Malayasians, Indonesians, Dutch, Norwegians, Fins and countless others for at least trying to put it into (for them) a foreign language in a form that most can understand. However I don't think it is elitist to expect someone born & bred in an English speaking society to speak in that language instead of like some off his face "bro" from the Bronx. In all fairness, the internet covers the entire globe & in so doing we have members or lurkers from the northern hemisphere & in some cases these folks not only don't speak English and rarely if ever post, but they often look to these forums for a bit of info & I think it's the height of bad manners to write in such a way so as to make it impossible for these people to understand or to be done so awkwardly that it takes ages to unravel the implied meaning.
    Personally, the aggravation factor in trying to read these types of postings I find so high that I simply ignore & pass on to the next posting & I don't think I'm the only one.
    Years ago, I was told by Immigrants that they were advised prior to arrival into Australia that amongst the "do's & don'ts" was a strict DON'T and that was to speak in their native tongue in front of Aussies as it built up a feeling that they (the Aussies) were being deliberately kept out of the conversation & created animosity due to frustration, so ask yourselves; if you were a European or Asian & came across these wacky postings, what would your opinion be?
    Think about others; 'tain't all that hard.
    I have no doubts that those who do this use it as a means to hide their bloody awful spelling ability but who cares; at the end of the day, even if your spelling is crap, at least you tried & nobody will think any the less of you for it.
    Me; I'm a one finger typist with arthritus who misses more keys than he hits & it takes me as long to write some of these long winded posts as it took the guy to write "War & Peace."

Alan S

I'll now pass the collection plate around; standard practice after a sermon.
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Good on ya Alan Not everybody can spell fantastically, least of all me, and not everybody can type good. I make mistakes when I try to type fast like anybody.
    As long as there is a semblance of correct spelling and grammar that is all that can be asked, and using SMS shorthand is just plain confusing. Stuff like IMHO etc is OK, but it can get out of hand when a real SMS expert shows his stuff.

I think this board has a fairly good standard, and I am that much happier for it.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Fellow Frogger!

How about words that are "trendy" or "hip" or what ever you call it, things like "da" (the), "prolly" (probably), and "tomo" (tomorrow).

Personally I don't like them for similar reasons to SMS-style language, and somewhat degrading to the English language.

Quote Originally Posted by rc968
    How about words that are "trendy" or "hip" or what ever you call it, things like "da" (the), "prolly" (probably), and "tomo" (tomorrow).

Personally I don't like them for similar reasons to SMS-style language, and somewhat degrading to the English language.

I agree. They are not terribly offensive however.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

I must clarify something here; I am not having a go at people who have trouble spelling and apologise to all those who thought otherwise. The point of the original post was to raise consciousness about the increasing use of SMS style spelling, and also the style of words such as those that rc968 suggests. Pugnut states that "This board has a fairly good standard", and that good standard is what I would hope to see maintained - not too much to ask, I think.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

I think or it more as evolution of a language

For meaning is all language is used to express, and if an idea can be expressed with half as much time and effort being required, then why is it so degrading. I tend to think its more of a accolade to the flexibility of the basic structure of our language that enables such things.

I really donít think we can hold our Germanic based "English" on a pedestal as far as traditional and pure, and hence worth a worry about its purity.. I mean.. Compared to say, Traditional Chinese, or somewhat French for that matter I suppose with their language controlling council, it is by no means a well-isolated concise language. It is and continues to be bastardised lol... Why take offence to words, sentences forms and figures that merely using the originally structure are able to offer economical alternatives to otherwise draw out instances.

It be more an exemplar of the current techo driven reality we live in that such alterations to the traditional script exist naturally..

Embrace the Change

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bowie
    I think or it more as evolution of a language

For meaning is all language is used to express, and if an idea can be expressed with half as much time and effort being required, then why is it so degrading. I tend to think its more of a accolade to the flexibility of the basic structure of our language that enables such things.

I really donít think we can hold our Germanic based "English" on a pedestal as far as traditional and pure, and hence worth a worry about its purity.. I mean.. Compared to say, Traditional Chinese, or somewhat French for that matter I suppose with their language controlling council, it is by no means a well-isolated concise language. It is and continues to be bastardised lol... Why take offence to words, sentences forms and figures that merely using the originally structure are able to offer economical alternatives to otherwise draw out instances.

It be more an exemplar of the current techo driven reality we live in that such alterations to the traditional script exist naturally..

Embrace the Change
    and this is why our kids are growing up illiterate
    i have to keep telling my eldest that if the word is not in the dictionary it is not a word
    if it is not a word then it cannot be said
    if as you say something can be expressed in 1/2 the time then why is it degrading ?
    it shows the state of laziness of each progressive generation
    i as one detest SMS style abreviations with a passion even when using SMS
    i have trouble trying to spell words contrary to the way they are in a dictionary to the point that i even look them up just to make sure
    sure i mey miss spell some words as we all do but i do try and maintain a level that i am happy with
    as for grammar, well that's another story
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Icon5

Perhaps that's devolution?

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Perhaps that's devolution?
    Perhaps .. But I must continually contest that language is all just a vehicle for meaning to be expressed, as it communication naturally is all about lol As long as the idea is getting through, I have no problem with the language being bastardised beyond ďtraditionalĒ recognition.

if as you say something can be expressed in 1/2 the time then why is it degrading ?
    it shows the state of laziness of each progressive generation
    Laziness..?? I think itís awfully clever.

Would you attribute laziness to the builder using a mechanical air powered hammer to nail in the posts of a wall compared to a standard run of the mill hammer?

Isnít that the whole drive we humans share to make life as easy possibly possible ??

Why shouldn't language share a similar economy of time and energy?

... what he said .

two thumbs up.

current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

yeah, i understand and respect the views expressed by both sides of the argument - and everything in between.

i agree, that posts should, at least be legible. of the thousands of posts, i have found few to warrant any "further explanation".

i think, the whole argument now lies in how one represents a word or/and their typing style in general - an attack on ones individuality (either purposely formed or just a character trait of oneself), if you will.

you seem to all be reasonable people.

not asking for the world or for your left testicle, maybe just a bit of tolerence. this being of course a diverse community of like minded individuals. lets keep it that way .

EDIT: some text didnt show up, again!!! grrr. and added some text, also.
    Last edited by pugjet; 19th January 2004 at 02:22 AM.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

XTC

Too much Ali-G. Innit ?

Seriously though, spelling mistakes are fine ... but common English is appreciated.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information