New Paris speed limits
  • Help

Default New Paris speed limits

Those of you that have used the Paris peripherique only during the rush hour (ie all day) may be surprised to know that it has an upper speed limit which is 80 kmh. However, from Jan 1 2014 this is being lowered to 70kmh. Please ignore this limit whenever possible as the revenue that you contribute as monitored by the many radars, might help reduce our tax a little.
    The people campaigning for safer roads doubt that this will have much effect on accidents and the decision is hot politics.

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    Those of you that have used the Paris peripherique only during the rush hour (ie all day) may be surprised to know that it has an upper speed limit which is 80 kmh. However, from Jan 1 2014 this is being lowered to 70kmh. Please ignore this limit whenever possible as the revenue that you contribute as monitored by the many radars, might help reduce our tax a little.
    The people campaigning for safer roads doubt that this will have much effect on accidents and the decision is hot politics.
    No it's all about safety ..... Here they have recently implement laws that allow cars with hidden speed cameras to hide at the bottom of hills set to book anyone doing 3km/h over the limit (yes 1.6mph) ..... All for our $afety of cour$e.

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO

On most days that would be a desired target to reach Gerry (as you know). Exceeding it would be momentary bliss!

However I am thankful that our last cab ride in Paris, the cabby was able to exceed the speed limit a number of times as we only JUST made checkin for our flight. I told him I thought he was Sebastian Loeb's cousin! He took that as a compliment!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Last time I drove the peripherique would have been when I was in Paris for a few days with my R25TXE back in 2000. Enjoyed it both completely empty (sustained high speeds were achievable) and at other times experienced it absolutely chockers.

Are there still separate rules for late night driving? In 2003 the Autoroutes were clearly unrestricted after midnight. The slow cars were doing 180km/h. The rest of us over 200km/h... across most of the country.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

1991 Peugeot 605SVE (Written off 2007)
    1995 Peugeot 605SV (Bianca White) *SOLD*
    2007 Volvo XC70 Electric Silver (PJ-810)
    2009 Volvo XC60 T6 Teknik (Sapphire Black)
    2014 Volvo XC70 Luxury D5 Polestar (Ice White)
    2012 Mercedes Benz C250 (Alabandite)

Past:
    1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 2001 Volvo XC70 and various Volvo 200-series

UFO

It's 130 km/h maximum in the dry and 110 if you require wipers on.

Some modern Citroen drivers in France now use the speed limiter with it set around 132 km/h on the autoroute and rest their right foot on the throttle rather than rely on cruise control. I suppose that is a smart way to do it if you drive a manual too.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

French road discipline has changed dramatically over the last five years. The roads are so heavily policed and radar is everywhere that compliance with speed limits is the norm. Late at night in low traffic density some people will speed and then there are the "go-fasts". These are usually stolen BMW or Mercedes moving at close to 200kmh that transport drugs across the country. There are often police concentrations at the toll gates to trap them as they prefer to avoid high speed chases with determined armed occupants . The new radars which were being wrecked by the Bretons measure average speed over a section of autoroute and so can be used to give the police advance warning.
    The effect for tourists is that if you seriously speed at night in a car with foreign or TT registration you are a suspect drug runner, probably armed and will treated with unusual courtesy at the toll gates by the gendarmerie.

In many areas there are strong "anti-capitalist" feelings directed against luxury cars. If you are in one and try to break free from slow traffic you can incite a form of road rage in which the car and you can end up trashed.
    I have found the police quite offensive when they consider that my 'posh' Honda is arrogantly cheating the system by using the disabled parking slots and then find that we have qualified. The police and magistrature are both unionised and have a reputation for political bias.
    My advice is dress down and speak english with a non BBC accent.

1000+ Posts

Well I've had the "suspected drug runner" label put on me when I was in my very early 20's in the R25TXE, Dutch plates. I was initially in panic mode, as I had been moving at a modest 150-160 before being pulled over. You can imagine my relief when instead of fining me for speeding they decided to strip search my luxury car.

The 605 however they never caught. I drove it significantly faster. 160-ish past two police bikes with laser guns pointed at the traffic, too late to slow down, so just continued on...

As for luxury car discrimination, generally on the Autoroutes late at night you only see high-end luxury cars. The beaten up shopping cars aren't that suitable for long distance travel. Lots of foreign registered cars seem to come out of the woodwork too.

Still possibly my most memorable drive. 1569km covered between dinner and breakfast. Left the South of France slightly tired after a long day, passed through two more countries before finishing in the fourth pleasantly refreshed.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

1991 Peugeot 605SVE (Written off 2007)
    1995 Peugeot 605SV (Bianca White) *SOLD*
    2007 Volvo XC70 Electric Silver (PJ-810)
    2009 Volvo XC60 T6 Teknik (Sapphire Black)
    2014 Volvo XC70 Luxury D5 Polestar (Ice White)
    2012 Mercedes Benz C250 (Alabandite)

Past:
    1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 2001 Volvo XC70 and various Volvo 200-series

I too remember a DS23 Pallas drive from Rome to London in a day. Cruised at 160kph. Wasn't even tired when I got out of the car. None cared abut speed in the 1970's.
    Then 10 years ago I drove very irresponsibly from Paris to Boulogne in thick fog at night in 2 1/2 hours at an average speed including getting out of the centre of Paris of 100kmh in my XM. We were at an Embassy function in 2002 and enjoying the conversation and not looking out the windows at the weather, we left out departure too late for the last ferry to the UK. The roads were deserted once north of the pťri which was just as well because visibility legally pulled the autoroute speed limit down to 50 (50 metres or one white line at the side)). We caught the ferry and that was the last time I have been able to risk the autoroutes at speeds greater than the police patrols would allow.
    Where I live now the autoroutes are a procession of trucks during the day and sensible car drivers can use the full 130 kmh only at night.

Thread Information