Car hire in the UK?
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Car hire in the UK?

Default Car hire in the UK?

OK, I appreciate this is not specifically a French car topic, but 4 of us are travelling around the UK for 16 days next July/August and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good operator over there?

Starting and finishing in Ashford Kent.

I've got quotes from the usual suspects (Avis, Thrifty, Hertz) for a Passat Wagon or similar (none of them seem to have froggies!) but if anyone has experience of good service experienced from other than the big cohunas then I'd love to hear about them. (Needs to be a large wagon for old farts with dodgy knees to get in and out of easily.)

Last time we did this Hertz were great but this time round they've quoted themselves way out of reach. Strange.

Would love to hire a 2CV but I think the mere thought would have me in divorce court before the New Year!

As always, I await commentary with breathless enthusiasm.

Advertisement

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

How about
    Classic Car Hire Sussex and Hampshire Vintage Wedding Car Hire | Vanilla Classics
    expensive but a few days in a Silver Shadow won't do you any harm.

or less expensive

VW Camper Van Hire - Book Your Camper Today & Begin Your Journey
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

I seem to recall that Gerry Freed had a GS that he was willing to make available, but the insurance for illegal aliens like you made it a dubious proposal.
    Check it out anyway with a private message.
    When you check Gerry's details you will be impressed!

D

About 20 years ago I did a deal to rent a BX for 4 weeks directly with a North London Citroen dealer. It was way cheaper than the main rental chains, the car had only 4000 miles on it when I picked it up (I put 3000 miles on it myself!) and the only downside was the insurance excess was high (350 quid, but I made sure I did not need to use it). I could have had an AX11 or a BX14 for the same price.

You might not be able to do a similar deal but it might be worth considering.

Fellow Frogger!

Ooooh
    Beat me by a minute!

Thanks for the thoughts so far chaps. (Gotta be quicker than that Dave, ankle still slowing you down I reckon! )

The thought of cruising up to Scotland and back in a Shadow is seductive, but blowing the budget on car hire and leaving nothing for some of the more obscure single malts from the colder north is not quite as attractive. (One of the Jags would be pretty special too, but the same issue of budgetary considerations is there like a spectre)

I was thinking more along the lines of a C5 wagon or the like if we do manage to go Froggy. We had a Passat wagon last time and it was almost perfect for the 4 of us, but teutonically perfect. (Yeah, I know that's not supposed to be a bad thing)

Time will tell what transpires.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Cant comment on the operators, but seeing as you mentioned the Passat as one of the options, Mrs Fivedoor hired a Passat in Finland in June. She says it's the best car she has ever driven. She was minding her elderly parents on the trip and they had no issues with room or access in/out of the vehicle, fitting excessive luggage (dont ask) and three hefty adults easily in comfort.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

You could always stay a bit longer and go eurodrive.
    KB

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

I have just been ripped off by Europcar. No worries about the hire itself, about $745 for 4 weeks, but then just last week an amount of $645 posted to my credit card - no explanation - by Europcar. Credit card company now investigating.

Watch out!

Alastair

I hired from Europcar and Hertz last year in the UK. No real problem with either of them.
    After being told what Europcar were charging the previous renter for some very minor damage to an almost new Golf, I made sure that I photographed the car carefully at the airport drop-off so if they came back to me/ my credit card with a damage bill I would have evidence of its condition when keys were returned. Other than the fact Hertz wouldn't answer their telephone when I kept trying to contact them to change the pick-up time, they were fine.
    In Ireland I rented from Thrifty, but when I agreed to upgrade to a diesel I got a car with a Europcar sticker on the window.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Alastair , any chance that they have " found " a small scratch on the car , the credit card imprint is the best insurance for the rental car companies ( but not for the hirer ).

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair Browne View Post
    I have just been ripped off by Europcar. No worries about the hire itself, about $745 for 4 weeks, but then just last week an amount of $645 posted to my credit card - no explanation - by Europcar. Credit card company now investigating.

Watch out!

Alastair
    Was the vehicle inspected and signed off as ok when you dropped it back?
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    I seem to recall that Gerry Freed had a GS that he was willing to make available, but the insurance for illegal aliens like you made it a dubious proposal.
    Check it out anyway with a private message.
    When you check Gerry's details you will be impressed!

D
    I think that I have sold the GS - I have taking a holding deposit. Noone was interested in using it. There is no difficulty in lending a car to someone as insurance policies normally carry an any driver clause and if not you can pay an extra premium. It is obligatory that the driver has a driver's licence that is valid in the countries concerned. That does not mean an international licence but a valid foreign licence recognised in the country. In France there is a list of countries accepted and certain provisos regarding limit of stay and points acquired while in France.

The difficulty comes if you are a non EU resident and you wish to buy and insure a car located in France.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Last time I hired in the UK I used this mob - theyre an aggregator Cheap Car Hire, Best Rental Prices Guaranteed - rentalcars.com!. A one day hire cost me less than half the hire of an equivalent car cost me in France the day before.

Thanks for the responses so far chaps.

I too had an issue with Europcar when I hired a 307 in Tassie a few years back. I got ripped off for "repairs to the front air dam" which easily could have been non-existent or previously present. Car certainly wasn't inspected in my presence but they're the final arbiters apparently. Such arrogance! Sorry Europcar. You're not on the list.

I'll give the above mob a try. So far Thrifty is looking the goods.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

This may no longer work but way back when I last went to the UK I tried to hire the cheapest scungiest car I could get and lo and behold there were none around when I got there, so I got a significant upgrade for the same price. Could only get it up to 158kmh on the M1 but it was only a 1.4 after all!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thread Information