RWC needed eastern Melb
  • Help

Default RWC needed eastern Melb

Any tips for a frog friendly RWC somewhere between Mt Waverely and Ringwood? Need to get the Xsara registered over Christmas...

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Pace auto electrics corner Middleborough Rd and Cantebury Road
    Last edited by 85Fuego; 2nd December 2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: wrong cross street: added cantebury

Cheers :-) It's always such a lucky dip as to whether you get a tool or not...
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Hells bells... $150 due to new Vicroads requirements

Apparently a RWC involves photos and all sorts of crap collated and uploaded to Vicroads to prove its actually been done.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Hells bells... $150 due to new Vicroads requirements

Apparently a RWC involves photos and all sorts of crap collated and uploaded to Vicroads to prove its actually been done.
    And am sure they will insist you have a new windscreen installed...

That's been the case for at least a year or 2 now. However, proving they did it means they don't seem to have the need to pick on the windscreen to 'prove' they did it.
    Cheers
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by dave_R16TS View Post
    I got past this - at much reduced cost - by having a scratch polished out by a professional. RWC inspector was happy and so was I - not having to replace the windscreen! Worth keeping in mind this option.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Only19 View Post
    That's been the case for at least a year or 2 now. However, proving they did it means they don't seem to have the need to pick on the windscreen to 'prove' they did it.
    Cheers
    This 2002 Xsara's factory original screen went through a RWC about 3 years ago ok, and hasnt copped any damage- so fingers crossed. Depends how anal they are about an old repaired chip...

No objections to a proper inspection, but I suspect the inspectors put their prices up a lot more than the extra time involves.

This 2002 Xsara's factory original screen went through a RWC about 3 years ago ok, and hasnt copped any damage- so fingers crossed. Depends how anal they are about an old repaired chip...

No objections to a proper inspection, but I suspect the inspectors put their prices up a lot more than the extra time involves.
    I doubt that. They're meant to take two hours now on one car. Most places are about 100 ish an hour. $150 Sounds pretty good. There only really charging you time. They only make money if they get the repair job too. Remember they still have to compete with the guy round the corner for the best price.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    I doubt that. They're meant to take two hours now on one car. Most places are about 100 ish an hour. $150 Sounds pretty good. There only really charging you time. They only make money if they get the repair job too. Remember they still have to compete with the guy round the corner for the best price.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Fair enough.

Fair enough.
    Huh? No argument, no debate! What have you done to the real Haakon!!

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

I've had three done in the last two years (all Melbourne), and about to get a 4th RWC next week. They vary amazingly in price. $187 the dearest, but going to a local Castlemaine place for the Magna on Tuesday, they're only $132.

Haven't had to get a single windscreen done, and I've been surprised that all three haven't needed them. Focus had about 5 small nicks (size of a pen ball), but they weren't in the line of site and were all OK. Magna's doesn't seem to have anything, so I'm hoping that goes through.

Strangest thing now though, is that if they have a tow bar, tongue must be removed to pass. Spent an hour today drilling the tow bar lock off the Magna.

Huh? No argument, no debate! What have you done to the real Haakon!!

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Its been a long day...

Via the aussiefrogs App

Plus also the pressure on the inspector is far greater than it use to be. I personally know a few people who handed the licence in when the new rules came in.

Once upon a time if the inspector missed something he'd just fix it. Say a balljoint or tie rod had the tiniest bit of movement in it and the tester missed and the customer went to the authorities he would be made to fix at his expense or else cop a fine. These days we are talking $5000 fine and loss of licence for 1 month or more so the risk factor is so high they'd want some return from it. Plus of course the licence fee has gone up.

The people next door to us will not inspect a car over 10 years old no matter how good it appears. There argument is that there can be so many things wrong with older cars and its so easy to miss something no matter how fussy you are and its just not worth the risk.

Not to mention the stupid bloody customers who recon they know more about cars and the law than the tester does and will argue (and sometime threaten them) about every single fault. I don't know why anyone would want to be a licenced RWC tester.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Right. Seems things have changed a bit int the few years since my last RWC. I am pretty confident in the Xsara, its all pretty neat mechanically. They could get picky with the screen, one very small chip and an old repaired one. Rear muffler is a bit noisier than it should be, but not noticeable to most and no holes.

But hopefully brand new tyres and its good presentation will help. But if its a fair cop, I'll wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I don't know why anyone would want to be a licenced RWC tester.
    I don't know why anyone would want to be in anything that involves customers/clients/the public in any form... I really don't miss that.

I don't know why anyone would want to be in anything that involves customers/clients/the public in any form... I really don't miss that.
    Your right there.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

Quote Originally Posted by dave_R16TS View Post
    Need to get a JEEP, what windscreen, in fact what doors or roof?

Attachment 50898

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Need to get a JEEP, what windscreen, in fact what doors or roof?

Attachment 50898

I'd go with an Ariel Atom.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Why do you think all my cars are on club permits .... A lot of roadworthy places are shit scared of older cars. They could pass an ID19 and I'll drive around the corner on my way home and one of the ancient hoses might start leaking/weeping. All of a sudden the car is no longer "roadworthy" 5minutes after the check has been done.

I could easily see an old brake fluid 'D parked up at Vicroads for them to inspect, with a rapidly growing pool of brake fluid leaking out from beneath and me saying "It did just pass a roadworthy ... promise ".

I can understand them not wanting to do old car. Even the old Range Rover I have ....... People in the "know" insist they all leaked/weeped a small amount from the diffs/gearboxes/etc when new ..... So how the hell could you NOT have them leak 30years later You wipe them all down around the corner from the RWC place, and hope they don't drip while there up on the hoist

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Why do you think all my cars are on club permits .... A lot of roadworthy places are shit scared of older cars. They could pass an ID19 and I'll drive around the corner on my way home and one of the ancient hoses might start leaking/weeping. All of a sudden the car is no longer "roadworthy" 5minutes after the check has been done.

I could easily see an old brake fluid 'D parked up at Vicroads for them to inspect, with a rapidly growing pool of brake fluid leaking out from beneath and me saying "It did just pass a roadworthy ... promise ".

I can understand them not wanting to do old car. Even the old Range Rover I have ....... People in the "know" insist they all leaked/weeped a small amount from the diffs/gearboxes/etc when new ..... So how the hell could you NOT have them leak 30years later You wipe them all down around the corner from the RWC place, and hope they don't drip while there up on the hoist

seeya,
    Shane L.

Your exactly right Shane. There use to be an old saying that you could always pick a drive way where a Citroen or a Jaguar parked.

With the old pommy motorbikes in speedway racing the trick was to ride them into and out of the scrutineering bay with no oil in the gearbox and fill them back up before the race.

Yes its hard for us that the guys next door wont inspect a 406 or even a Scenic or Clio but I know where there coming from.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    ... you could always pick a drive way where a Citroen or a Jaguar parked.
    Jag V12's almost always leaked until Ford changed the gaskets to rubber-coated shim steel. No leaks then.

With some large radial aircraft engines, it was apparently said that if it wasn't leaking oil, it was empty!

Thread Information