Flying
  • Help

Thread: Flying

JBN

Default Flying

I wasn't sure if I should post this thread here or the Toad Pond. Since it is not sludge and drivel, I figured this may be the place.

This first video is about Spanish Fire Bombers. Even for those not interested in flying, you may find this interesting, at least from a visual aspect.

43 Grupo 2012 from Hidros on Vimeo

The second video is about modern aircraft navigation systems, making safe arrivals at challenging airports, in this case Queenstown, New Zealand. It is worth reading all the text to gain some understanding.

Advertisement

This is an approach from the west into Queenstown in late afternoon.

No Room For Error: Pilot and Innovator Steve Fulton Talks about the ?Alarm and Frustration? That Gave Birth to a Revolution in Aircraft Navigation | GE Reports

John

Intense faith involved as the aircraft in the second video enters into the clouds with big sticky up bits all around....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

That's why they call it 'the land of the long white cloud' Bro...
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

1000+ Posts

And i thought it was the land of the long white crowd.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

43 Grupo are true pilots, the others are over paid Bus drivers guiding a video game (Tongue very firmly in cheek!). But it did take a true pilot to get the system up and running, to fly into Queenstown without the techno support in those sort of conditions was risky to dangerous. To do a fly around may have meant even lower cloud and light and a further aborted landing and a bus ride from Invercargill.
    Brendan.

More interesting stuff..

Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

I believe the Poms started this deal using Fairey Swordfish biplanes on MAC's then following up with Sea Hurricanes Mk1 and Mk2.
    The apparently antiquated, but robust, Swordfish aircraft were suited to the conditions and their patrols were very effective. They flew more than 4,000 sorties in all. Wartime records show that no convoy with an accompanying MAC ship ever lost a vessel to U-boats, nor was any MAC ship lost

Merchant aircraft carrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thread Information