Restyled forum
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Restyled forum

1000+ Posts

Default Restyled forum

Is the new style going to go away? It's visually attractive but fails the usability test. I haven't a screen tall enough to find anything! Pale "ink" is for teenagers only. Please don't force me to user script and css the site.

Advertisement

Can't say I'm impressed at this stage.

It's not easier navigate nor easier to read.

Seems to going to Fisher Price kid's toy look of Windows 8.

When are the user freindly "new posts" facilities going to come back?

Yuk. I don't like at all!

I assume this is just aimed at increasing space and prominence for advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    When are the user freindly "new posts" facilities going to come back?
    It is still there on my screen, just that it is dark beige on light beige.

I'm just thankful I didn't have to log in again.

Sometimes I can even remember how to spell my own name let alone the password i chose 10 years ago.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Yep
    Certainly...startling, but works o.k. here.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    It is still there on my screen, just that it is dark beige on light beige.

I'm just thankful I didn't have to log in again.

Sometimes I can even remember how to spell my own name let alone the password i chose 10 years ago.

Jo
    Quite right Jo, I missed it initally however it now formatted in that sh!tful format of the accursed "activity stream"

Quite off putting to have a change of format without any discussion/warning? Perhaps I missed something?

I guess PCs are on the way out and the visually challenged are expected to use mobile phones under a desk magnifier.

I'm assuming it must be good to use on mobile devices because it sure hell ain't doing it for me on PC.

edit: thanks for giving me a new posts "button".

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

Quite off putting to have a change of format without any discussion/warning? Perhaps I missed something?
    I seem to remember gibgib advising of possible changes, I believe these have more t do with forum software than space for advertisers.

This is the first I have seen of the revamp and like you guys I hope we see some tweaking.

As it is, it's a scrolling nightmare especially on the index page, reducing the font size for forum 'Threads' and 'Posts' would help for starters. The Nav bar at the top is no longer static this was a useful feature I'd like to see returned. Green bars to replace the red would be easier on the eye.

Early days, let's see what our fearless leader has to say

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I was under the impression the forum was being moved to new software, and having a bit of a clean up. I think this is just a temporary step there, and the style will slowly change to something slightly more familiar looking.
    Last edited by FedGrapes; 15th November 2013 at 04:32 PM.

What do we each have to pay as "subscribing members" to view a migraine-free screen? Two dollars a week?

Where are me sunnies?

Can we loose some of the white space on the home page (as well as returning the banner at the top) please? Apart from that it's not that bad.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Logged in , 25 new posts. Page shows 24 posts but no link to next page with 25th post.
    Wonder what that one was?

Paul.

UFO

To quote Andy of Little Britain "I don't like it".
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Is the new style going to go away? It's visually attractive but fails the usability test. I haven't a screen tall enough to find anything! Pale "ink" is for teenagers only. Please don't force me to user script and css the site.
    If it aint broke don't fix it.

What was wrong with the old one anyway? I thought it was great, better than this. My eyes aint that young anymore.

Hey, as a sponser do I get a say? If so then go back please.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Banned

just as well AF is free, or there would really be some bitching.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    To quote Andy of Little Britain "I don't like it".
    I'm with Andy, a tip though until things improve.

Scrooooooollll to the bottom of the index page and in the drop down box bottom left, select 'Mobile Style' far easier to navigate and just a little easier on the eye - to get back to this style scroll to the bottom of the index page and click 'Full Site'

Cheers
    Chris

Operationally, I am happier. The messy ambiguity of space allocation at the top has gone away and overall it is easier to read.
    Aesthetically, it is not my style. I also find it too close to Windows 8, which is an operating system I have no intention of using unless my second childhood finds me back ad kindergarten.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

1000+ Posts

Because it's free, and so useful, it's the only site on my computers where I permit ads to even load, let alone display. Dave please note!

When sites are unreadable, or ad-ridden, or in grey ink or otherwise annoying, one can simply write some javascript or css to over-ride the code being delivered to the browser. I have several of my faves that have needed this. I like AF enough (heck I need AF) not to want to have to do that again here. Please make it readable.

IWS

My professional work is in managing and facilitating change in organizations.

Change is often difficult (although there are those for whom – to channel Roy & HG – too much change is barely enough!).

One of my (multi part) golden rules is to:
    a) tell people when change is going to happen;
    b) tell them why the change is happening, and:
    c) as far as is possible involve people in discussion about the changes that are proposed/planned.

Seems that that did not happen here…

And it does seem a bit rough, poor form really, that as a sponsor David - and presumably other sponsors? - seemingly had no say?

Admins – can we have some info on why, and what to expect next? I think that will help with adaptation to the changes.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    My professional work is in managing and facilitating change in organizations.

Change is often difficult (although there are those for whom – to channel Roy & HG – too much change is barely enough!).

One of my (multi part) golden rules is to:
    a) tell people when change is going to happen;
    b) tell them why the change is happening, and:
    c) as far as is possible involve people in discussion about the changes that are proposed/planned.

Seems that that did not happen here…

And it does seem a bit rough, poor form really, that as a sponsor David - and presumably other sponsors? - seemingly had no say?

Admins – can we have some info on why, and what to expect next? I think that will help with adaptation to the changes.

Ian.
    18th October 2013, 11:23 AM #1

Default Style is changing as part of an advertisement management software
    In an effort to tidy up the advertisement system on aussiefrogs we have a company called Cloudoru creating a custom ad management that allows anyone to submit a banner ad & everything is automated from there. There's currently 5 different systems running & I was about to add another one, so to administer it is getting harder.

We do get some good inquiries from companies wanting to advertise here but mostly it does not follow through.
    It's a bit of a gamble but we are paying our bills OK & have a little left over to maybe increase our home based ad revenue. The google ads, although we have more traffic, have decreased in revenue for us.

Part of the deal is a new "trendsetting" (their words) forum style & a mobile style, so the site auto detects a user's device & sends them an easier to use forum instead of all the scrolling.
    The forum style I hope to not let them change too much, just keep up with the current technology.

They are also going to clean up all the add ons that aren't used or don't work over the years, lots of coding.

The schedule shows completion in 3 weeks

This is what was posted about the changes.

I find the revised forum quite different to what I was expecting based on the above post.

I agree Ian, a little warning would be nice instead of cold turkey change.

I'm an admin on a very large sporting site and we have the same reaction from the users with even a small change let alone a major one but they soon get used to it.

I think this setup is easy to read with good post separation so it's fine by me.

1000+ Posts

I add my sentiments to those above. I dont need it that big!
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Aaaaghhhhhh.....more to the point, as Dorrie Evans (that dates me) would say...why wasn't I told?
    nearly fell outa me chair when I logged on - blimey
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

Wow, I didn't realise change was so scary for so many big brave guys !

I can live with it and I am sure after a few little tweaks it will be fine. Anyway, I am grateful for Aussie frogs in any format.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

So how do you like the style?

Dominic emailed me just before I left work & asked if we should take it live, so I went "yes" but we need to address some issues. The style change can be put back with a simple drop down box & "save". It's not terminal.

In the few hours since the bombshell we have got some very honest & constructive feedback which may not have happened as quickly with a trial forum to check it out instead with.

All regular users should only be seeing our home based ads as usual & not google ads except in the footer.
    I tried Grease Monkey out (test username) & that seems to be the case.

Issues to raise for me are the spacings between forums on main page, & the amount of distance from the top of page to the first thread inside a forum with subforums. The stickies are too blended into the normal threads. The "powered bys" can all go from the footer as we are brand free.

It should load so much quicker?

Leave a list of demands & tomorrow morning I'll flick us back to the old style & try & get the good ones (please +1 them) into this style.

“All is flux, nothing stays still”
    ― Plato

Yeah. Whatever that means

JBN

I thought that my computer had been hacked and I had been transported to a bogus site.

A bit too much red for my taste, but being a French Car Forum, it probably more accurately reflects the move to the left in French politics with Hollande as President.

I preferred the greater use of green in the days of Sarkosy, but that probably reflected my level of envy of Sarkosy with that gorgeous wife of his.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information