I just joined a mens shed organisation
  • Help
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: I just joined a mens shed organisation

Default I just joined a mens shed organisation

Anyone here belong to a 'mens shed'???

I thought i'd give it a go, in spite being about 30 years younger than the average age of the blokes in the group.
    I'm not exactly in their target demographic, but they dont seem to have a lower age limit, and generally I like the company of old farts. (I like AF )

Advertisement

My most local shed just up the road has stick/mig/gas welders, a cold and hot metal cut-off saw, a lathe, a drill press and a couple of retired metal workers guiding the flock.

The rules of the organisation (as I understand them) seem fairly agreeable....Dont hurt yourself, dont bugger up the tools, and have some fun in the company of other blokes.

I figured I'd get to learn how to use these tools myself instead of always buming favours of my mates, and for the few times each year I need them, it sure beats buying all the tooling myself.

I had to laugh.....I was the youngest bloke there, driving the oldest car (the fuego of course).

Looking forward to learning some new stuff and meeting new people.

Jo

OnYa Jo! Sounds like a good deal, particularly as you will probably be getting some good guidance and experience from those "old farts"!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    OnYa Jo! Sounds like a good deal, particularly as you will probably be getting some good guidance and experience from those "old farts"!
    I hope so.
    Met one of the guys today, a retired boiler maker.

God knows who makes boilers these days, but I dont think I know of or have ever heard of anyone under the age of 60 who is a boiler maker.

jo

I know of one, and he's a bona fide d*ckhead.

I think the term is used as the old trade name for professional 'plate' welders. It does sound like a dinosaur, though. I expect you're going to enjoy the shed time, Jo.

1000+ Posts

Not an antique trade at all, but a current one - they do heavy fabrication, not only boilers, but construction and shipbuilding. Plenty of young tradesmen about. You should finish up a pretty good welder by the sound of it.

New steam and hot water boilers are still common too.

We don't have a 'Mens' Shed' but a Machinery Restoration Group which I joined. A boiler maker is a necessity for our group as we have a 'Boiler Room' with an industrial boiler, two scale model traction engines and a steam launch. There are also items of steam powered machinery in our collection. Boilermakers might sound archaic but still have a place.

I've been fortunate enough to discover that one of our members decided he needed to know about metal working and cars. He found an old fellow who could make metal into anything. He arranged to work with him, with no pay, while he learnt the tricks of the trade. He will be my 'go to man' with any body related issues on my cars now.

By the way I'm one of the 'young blokes' in our group - and I'm the wrong side of 65. I've worked on the shed roof and my offsider was an eighty year old!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    generally I like the company of old farts. (I like AF )
    Jo
    G'day,
    is that like Auld Farts
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

I thought i'd give it a go, in spite being about 30 years younger than the average age of the blokes in the group.
    I'm not exactly in their target demographic, but they dont seem to have a lower age limit, and generally I like the company of old farts. (I like AF )

My most local shed just up the road has stick/mig/gas welders, a cold and hot metal cut-off saw, a lathe, a drill press and a couple of retired metal workers guiding the flock.

The rules of the organisation (as I understand them) seem fairly agreeable....Dont hurt yourself, dont bugger up the tools, and have some fun in the company of other blokes.

I figured I'd get to learn how to use these tools myself instead of always buming favours of my mates, and for the few times each year I need them, it sure beats buying all the tooling myself.

I had to laugh.....I was the youngest bloke there, driving the oldest car (the fuego of course).

Looking forward to learning some new stuff and meeting new people.

Jo
    I have been considering something similar in the near future as soon as I can dispense with unnecessary time wasting activity, sometimes referred to as work.

We have local men's shed and a wood turning society shed not too far away, so I have choice or maybe join both
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    is that like Auld Farts
    I resemble that remark, when I get a bit older I might get cracking in a men's shed, and take up bowls or golf for exercise...

Ken

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I resemble that remark, when I get a bit older I might get cracking in a men's shed, and take up bowls or golf for exercise...

Ken
    yep, I've got this young mate 'ere who keeps trying to get me to try bowls, I keep tellin' 'im "I'm too young for bowls"

cheers,
    Bob

What's bowls? I thought I might try Trugo when I get a bit older.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I have been under the enduring impression that condition is caused by something else entirely, Ken!

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    I have been considering something similar in the near future as soon as I can dispense with unnecessary time wasting activity, sometimes referred to as work.
    I had a full time job for 7 weeks a few month back, and it did my head in.
    It meant I literally got home, went to bed, woke up, went to work, came home, went to bed, got up, went to work, came home.......

I dont know how the rest of the world does it, quite frankly.

I've often wondered how people can handle living in a hi-rise unit in the city, and doing that contract made me realise how.

Jo

By the way I'm one of the 'young blokes' in our group - and I'm the wrong side of 65. I've worked on the shed roof and my offsider was an eighty year old![/QUOTE]
    So I guess in this case your offsider wasn't the 'junior' as such, just a very mature aged apprentice. Brendan, rapidly running out of birthday's starting with 4!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I have been under the enduring impression that condition is caused by something else entirely, Ken!
    Sorry Kim, I joined the serial deleters who have a strange habit of hit and run, if you can't treat them, join them

Makes weird threads though..

So apologies...

Ken

I had a full time job for 7 weeks a few month back, and it did my head in.
    It meant I literally got home, went to bed, woke up, went to work, came home, went to bed, got up, went to work, came home.......
    Jo
    I resemble that remark, hence the plan to exercise a viable option which became available to me at 55 yrs , just need to wait for couple of pins to line up and I am offfff.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    I resemble that remark, hence the plan to exercise a viable option which became available to me at 55 yrs , just need to wait for couple of pins to line up and I am offfff.
    Pulling the pin at 55 is great, you will have a whole new lifetime of options, make sure you enjoy the retirement or just a change of direction. I regret that I didn't pull the pin at that age as I originally intended.

Good luck with your plans mate.

Ken

I retired at 55. The move is highly recommended.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

By the time we reach 55 the retirement age to access your super will be 85 ..............................

They wanted me to join the committee to help start a local mens shed just before a shifted I couple of years back.... There's no way I have the time for it, so dodged a bullet there

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Not a new concept as such, I recall going out with my Dad to a shed at Epsom near Bendigo, where the men made all sorts of gizmo's and toys for St Lukes Toddlers Home and other underprivileged children's organisations - that would have been in the late 1940's and probably organized through the Legion of Ex Servicemen and Women.

But then that was what you did in those days - looked after those that had less than you had, and no government funding to set up, just the will to help your fellows, family and all.

Ken

Thread Information