need a Mitsubishi 4G63 Galant s/h import engine
  • Register
  • Help

Default need a Mitsubishi 4G63 Galant s/h import engine

My good friend thought she had bagged a bargain when she got an '89 jap import Galant for $3000. Its immaculate, around 170K km and had been stored in a garage for the last year.
    However, she (nor her mechanic He should have mentioned it) didnt check the cambelt situation, so 2 weeks after she got it, BANG goes the engine, snapped valves, mangeled pistons, the works
    I'm feeling a bit guilty 'cos I should have thought of mentioning cambelt to her, especially after hearing it had been sitting around, so I'm helping out

Who knows of the good engine importers in Melb/Sydney/Adelaide?

Advertisement
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

how do you check the cambelt anyway??
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

Try Japanese Auto Mart in Adelaide, (08) 8260 5388. They do some imports. But there would have to be more in Melbourne, trawl the Yellow Pages.

Cambelts can't be checked, generally you just go off the service history of the car, if the history is unknown just replace it. Really though another reason for non car enthusiasts to avoid imports. The servicing and parts hassles would be a headache all for a car with probably less going for it than an AUS delivered Corolla.
    Last edited by Simon; 15th January 2004 at 10:10 AM.

It might be a long shot, but you could try the forums on http://www.lancerevo.net/

Mate of mine runs the site....and you might be able to get a quick answer. Those Mitsu folk might know of a wreckers yard with hust the thing you need, or they might have one lying around in the garage after a conversion.

What ever happened to good old chains?
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_Mi16
    how do you check the cambelt anyway??
    On a car like that that's been sitting around for a year or so, you just replace the belt anyway to be safe.

Derek.

Cant really be blamed on it being an import, its been in Oz for a few years already - its all down to previous owners not having a clue/caring. That and the sitting around.
    Belts are fine if they are kept fresh. Its a rule with any s/h car with a rubber band - if in doubt, change it!
    And I reckon it would have been obviously worn after 14 years and 170K km - they get lots of little cracks in the rubber before they let go (unless it seized a balance shaft, which apparently these things do if serviced badly and are left to sit. The shaft runs its own little rubber band, and when it snaps or comes off the pulley with shredded teeth its get tangled up inthe main one and tears it up.

Chains are good though, must be reason that BMW went back to them after a brief use of them in the 80s.

Tadpole

I own a Galant GSR ('89-HG) which I cooked the engine in (torn timing belt caught in under pulleys - threw 7/8 rockers off one cam - seized crank).. All from dumping a pile of oil (which i was unaware of surprsingly enough).

She's still sitting in the garage waiting for me to sell my XE falcon to finance the engine. I rang a multitude of places australia wide and found (mind you this was a year ago) EKW? or something to that effect in Melbourne seemed to have the best pricing and new what they were talking about.

If i recall correctly for a 4g63/DOHC/Fuel Injected non turbo it was about $1000/$1100 with about $150 to ship it to canberra from Melbourne..

-dave.

Quote Originally Posted by tomic
    I own a Galant GSR ('89-HG) which I cooked the engine in (torn timing belt caught in under pulleys - threw 7/8 rockers off one cam - seized crank).. All from dumping a pile of oil (which i was unaware of surprsingly enough).

She's still sitting in the garage waiting for me to sell my XE falcon to finance the engine. I rang a multitude of places australia wide and found (mind you this was a year ago) EKW? or something to that effect in Melbourne seemed to have the best pricing and new what they were talking about.

If i recall correctly for a 4g63/DOHC/Fuel Injected non turbo it was about $1000/$1100 with about $150 to ship it to canberra from Melbourne..

-dave.
    Thanks mate. I found the same as you - EKW, best price and knowledge (and they were happy to help out a french car person . We are getting a low km (they reckoon around 40 - 50 K km) import engine with an auto trans attached for $1500 (current auto is getting clunky and will be kept as a spare, plus easier to change out as a whole unit)
    Will be putting a new belt on it prior to installation

Thread Information