Xantia Diesel 5th Gear Problem
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Xantia Diesel 5th Gear Problem

My Diesel Xantia has been jumping out of 5th gear and having excluded other possabilities, I am fairly sure I need to replace the synchromesh hub. According to info on the net, this seems to be fairly straightforward job, but I need to obtain a replacement!

Does anyone know if the 5th gear Synchromesh hub is the same on all BE3 gearboxes?

Any ideas on sourcing one in Australia would be appreciated, I would also consider a scrap Xantia.

Advertisement

many thanks.

mike.

Fellow Frogger!

Is that the same box as fitted to the standard 2Ltr Xantia ? If so I will be scrapping my old one soon & the box is great, not so the clutch or motor.

Richard....Coffs Harbour.

Tadpole

Hi Richard,

That is what I'm hoping someone might know, acquiring a donor car with other useful parts would be good and if it doesn't cost a fortune to transport, I'd take a gamble on it.

mike

The ratio's will be different. The diesel has a lot more low down power so will be geared lower.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Tadpole

I'm sure you are correct, and swapping the whole gearbox would doubtless not be a good idea, but I wonder if all the gears in the box are different or maybe just the crownwheel is changed?

The gearboxes have a sub-classification, I think they are 5L2, 5N2, 5V2. With that, you can identify which gears are in it.

Fellow Frogger!

The 'box in the Turbo CT is different, so I suspect the diesel with it's extra torque may use the same one.

Richard

1000+ Posts

Default Same box

as in PUG 405 SRDT ,5TH GEAR IS LOCATED IN THE END COVER ,SO CAN BE REMOVED WITH G/BOX IN CAR ,I HAD AN SRI WITH THESE SYMPTOMS ,JUMPING OUT OF 5TH ,THE NUT THAT HELD THE 5TH GEAR HUB ONTO THE MAIN SHAFT HAD COME LOOSE ,IT EVENTUALY STRIPED THE SPLINE ON THE MAIN SHAFT ,IF I HAD KNOWN WHAT WAS CAUSING THE PROBLEM ,I COULD HAVE SAVED THE BOX ,I WOULD BE CHECKING THAT OUT BEFORE I WENT ANYWHERE WITH A REPLACEMENT BOX. PUGS

1000+ Posts

there was a post a while back same problem with a Berlingo ,he replaced with new parts, gearbox still in car, PUGS

Thread Information