Mini Cooper!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Mini Cooper!

Icon12 Mini Cooper!

My friend Gavin last night pursuaded me in seconds to get an old Mini Cooper as a first car... and now almost instantaneously I love them!

Who else likes these little bundles of fun?

Advertisement

Donna... with all the threads you've started so far, you know none of them is on the topic of French cars?

Mini Coopers were fine in the sixties, maybe even the early seventies... especially the Cooper S 1275cc version.

1000+ Posts

Ray, I owned my mint Cooper S 1275 MkIII in the eighties, and it was still fine! My favourite car. One of those I wish I didn't sell...

There's been at least one! What about the one about putting the turbo on the 505 f'rinstance?

This is the general section once again . I have driven the new mini. An interesting car.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    I have driven the new mini.
    I thought we were talking about the original Mini.... The two cars are completely unrelated.

Derek

I know unrelated just hopping in. I still love the older minis too though....

i came within a gnats testicle of buying a 197? Mini Cooper ,for not much less than i paid for my Mi16

it was a wicked little car, pretty quick for what it was and economical, easy to insure, easy to park...

but it was a bit basic for me, i like the leather and climate control and all the other electrical things that make me lazy
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

Two things that come to my mind with it being an old Mini in the UK, rust in the subframes and body, and possible insurance costs for a young driver.

Other than those though, if you take into account the lack of modern comforts, a Cooper would be a nifty car indeed.

and they come in handy getting away from ppl in those small european towns, you can drive down stairs and all

or even onto a train like 'goodbye pork pie' - which i doubt if anyone outside of nz will have seen??

Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i have always had a soft spot for minis
    worked on a few of them over the years
    i worked on one that we stroked the crank and made near 1400cc
    yeah i know we could have stuck a little jap engine in it but we wanted to keep it all mini
    the crank broke after the guy kept pulling 8000rpm in it
    i can't fit in them though so i can only keep dreaming
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I've owned several Minis, one of which was my first car......

overall these are great little cars....

There are only really two (day to day) major issues that come to mind....

Brakes, the brakes in any non-disk mini completely suck, and are really not safe out there with modern traffic and it's ever decreasing stopping distances. Disks are really a must if you drive regularly and will save alot of hassle trying to keep the atrocious drums constantly in adjustment, to only work poorly for their first application.....after which they fade away and warp

Highways, none of the early minis (including coopers etc) is comfortable or will last a long time (eg 80,000+kms with a new engine) doing 100+kph speeds on highways on a really regular basis.....many of which will only be 1500rpm from redline at 100-105kph, that and the whole engine sharing oil with gearbox thang, pretty much ensure they have a short life at highway speeds (which is why I don't have a mini in my garage now) .
    I'm guessing the highway/freeway thing may likely be more of a concern for Australia's spreadout nature than in the UK.

Otherwise, find a good one, change it's oil often and you'll have a lot of fun.

I too have a soft spot for the original minis.

But mum wouldn't allow me to get one because of their huge 'crumple zone'

I prefer the older minis though like the Austins and the Morris...the ones with the rounded grill.

Lone Live the father of Super Minis

CHeers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

i prefered the wind up window model
    a moke would be good
    quicker than a mini too and handle better
    just have to prevent the water from killing the car when it rains
    if you have seen under the bonnet of a mini you will know why
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I prefer the older minis though like the Austins and the Morris...the ones with the rounded grill.

Didn't Rover make those into the 1990's, they come up in unique cars fairly regularly.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Mad little buggers - glorified go kart. A friend had a Cooper S that he let his missus drive to Adelaide and back. She complained it was running out of puff at 110 kph. He then quitely pointed out that the speedo is in mile per hour...

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster

Didn't Rover make those into the 1990's, they come up in unique cars fairly regularly.

Nah...don't like the Rover ones....they are just too 'new'

The sliding windows are good....cos you won't have sticking windows like the pugs.

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

They look OK to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini Cooper!-39.jpg   Mini Cooper!-007.jpg   Mini Cooper!-c0003.jpg  
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

For the record...

Only the 850s and the earliest Coopers had sliding windows in Australia.

From the start of the Mini Deluxe (with 998cc engine) the Australian built cars had both hydrolastic suspension and windup windows... the poms were amazed that they could design a windup window to fit and still have a door pocket.

The exception with the suspension is the Minivan... it always had straight rubber.

Models produced in Australia:

850... 848cc
    850S ... a local hotup including twin SUs and a colour triangle on the bonnet
    Mini Cooper... the first Cooper... with 997 engine
    Mini Deluxe 998 as described above
    Mini Cooper S... 1275cc engine, windup windows and hydrolastic
    Minivan... 998cc, though there might have been an 848 model for a while

Now, I'm unsure whether or not the 1098cc engine might have crept into both the Minivan and a later version of the Mini Deluxe... or was that only when the front was changed?

Of course, there was the Mini Moke, in both 850cc and 1098cc versions, with both 10" and 12" wheels. Some had the fuel tank in the rear, some in the side 'pontoon'... and there was the Moke Californian, with a few fancy bits.

1000+ Posts

The real Mini stopped production in September 2000, believe it or not!

Gotta add a couple of comments to some made above.

The Cooper S was NOT economical. Mine was perfect, as it left the factory with no mods, low mileage and tuned to perfection, and I still only used to get about 26 mpg. And contrary to the myth, they couldn't manage over 100mph, but just under that was about it. I know, as I used to do it every day on the way home from work when I lived in a semi-rural area. Brakes? Really good, nothing like the drums in lesser Minis. The discs on the non-S Coopers were little better than the drums, though. And as for the highway problem - you can now buy a Jack Knight Developments five speed box for them! Pretty exxy, though...

I would still snap a proper S up if one came up for the right money. There are just so many parts available for them they've got to be a good project car. Lastly, I saw a hot mini in the current Mini World magazine (i still have a browse at the newsagents...) with a Yamaha R1 motor mid mounted driving the rear, through a chain drive diff! It was an engineering masterpiece. Lightweight spaceframe, sequential shift (of course). Have a look if you're into nice workmanship.

Stuey

mum's 850 was normal suspension and sliding windows
    she wouldn't touch the hydrolastic models as she didn't think they handled anywhere near as good
    mind you this is going back to the days where she used to be more of a hoon and drag raced the little car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell

Now, I'm unsure whether or not the 1098cc engine might have crept into both the Minivan and a later version of the Mini Deluxe... or was that only when the front was changed?
    There was the Mini K (for Kangaroo) of around 1970 which had the early round nose shell with the 1098cc motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    There was the Mini K (for Kangaroo) of around 1970 which had the early round nose shell with the 1098cc motor.
    One of mine was a K.....They were basically the last of the round noses and of the hydrospastic (TM) suspension here.

The K seemed to have the lowest gearing of them all, combined with the weakest (strength, not power), longest stroke vs boresize of the A series engines, the 1100.....it was a torquey lil bugger though, with a set of extractors, a modest 1 1/2inch SU (up from 1 1/4inch) and the low gearing made it quite punchy around town......i also bolted up the cooper S disks to that car, very nice

The hydrospastic learched around a bit and was caught out often by the right kind of bumps......ultimately, though it was a lil fluffier around the edges, it handled very nearly as well as my rubber coned minis.

In my experience the mokes do not handle or go as well as minis, which is good.....cause you'd only fall out the side if it did

Tadpole

Default HEY

Mini Coopers are great.
    I also need some help where is Drift King in aspley? I live in Wynnum n i was out there with a mate but we coudln't find were this drift king store is?? HELLLPPPP plz.

i have seen mokes at hill climbs out handle minis
    their centre of gravity is lower than the mini
    and they also weigh less as well
    so bolt in a 1275cc engine and you are laughing
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information