Bonsai's where to start.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Bonsai's where to start.

I've always had an interest in bonsai's & decided there is no better time to start than now.

Im looking at getting a nice little bonsai to start off with.
    I've got a few questions though.

1)where is a good place to get one in melbourne
    2)what should i look for when purchasing a bonsai ie colour of leaves ect
    3)what is a reasonable price for a small one

Who else is into bonsai's here?

Advertisement

Thanks

Asanka

Fellow Frogger!

a little off topic...but after i saw karate kid part 1 i wanted to get one too

There was a really good Burke's Backyard thing about this a few weeks back. Look on the site. May be something there for you. It's all in the root trimming apparently.
    Can Marijuana be bonsai'd?
    Or an Apricot tree, so you could bring it in at nights so the birds couldn't eat the fruit before you get up in the morning.
    No idea where you get good genuine Bonsai in Oz, but there would be clubs or societies for sure. Quite an exciting thing, inasmuch as something that doesn't move can be.

Hey Asanka,
    I've had a few Bonsai's - had a really nice one which was 8 years old but my mum killed it when I went away and left it for her to look after.

There is a hairdresser in lonsdale st who also runs a bonsai business from home (under The Bonsai Man) you might find him in the yellowpages but no guarantees. He's quite good, my sister got my bonsai from him and he said whenever it needed repotting he would do it for free.

Be careful to check out the tree pretty closely before you fork out dollars for it though because it is VERY easy to take any twig stick it in a pot put abit of moss around it and pass it off as a bonsai. You'll know a good one if it looks relatively well established and has already had some 'guidance'.

To get a reasonbly nice medium sized tree your probably looking between $100-$200. I'll try find the guys card - i think I have it somewhere.

Most importantly you have to remember its a tree - alot of people think its better to keep them inside. But they're best left outside as you would a normal plant - they need ALOT of water and like sun and air too.

Hope this gives you an idea of how to get started.

I found this place to be extremely helpful and informative:

http://www.bonsaikitten.com/

I hope this helps

1000+ Posts

If you have to buy one, have you really got an interest? Do your own!

Quote Originally Posted by billtran
    I found this place to be extremely helpful and informative:

http://www.bonsaikitten.com/

I hope this helps

hmm, and we just got 3 kittens

i wonder how my flatmate would take it
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    I've always had an interest in bonsai's & decided there is no better time to start than now.

Im looking at getting a nice little bonsai to start off with.
    I've got a few questions though.

1)where is a good place to get one in melbourne
    2)what should i look for when purchasing a bonsai ie colour of leaves ect
    3)what is a reasonable price for a small one

Who else is into bonsai's here?

Thanks

Asanka
    Hi Asanka I have been into Bonsai for a few years and its a great interest. To start go to one of the large nurserys and buy a medium size pot $20 buy some good quqality potting mix and a good plant to start of with is a ficus you could buy one about 20cm remove the plant from the pot and trim 75% of the roots and 50% of the folage place it in the pot and pack the potting mix around the roots and keep it in a cool shady position keep it watered. This is a rough guide to get you started there are some good sites on the internet and some good books out there. Some people like the true Jap style. Its up to you on how you go. You can use just about any plant and as you get into it you will develope your own style in shaping dont restrict yourself to tradition.I have lots of different plants Crepe Mirtles Bouganvilieas Figs do very well Good luck from LuLu

Quote Originally Posted by LuLu
    Hi Asanka I have been into Bonsai for a few years and its a great interest. To start go to one of the large nurserys and buy a medium size pot $20 buy some good quqality potting mix and a good plant to start of with is a ficus you could buy one about 20cm remove the plant from the pot and trim 75% of the roots and 50% of the folage place it in the pot and pack the potting mix around the roots and keep it in a cool shady position keep it watered. This is a rough guide to get you started there are some good sites on the internet and some good books out there. Some people like the true Jap style. Its up to you on how you go. You can use just about any plant and as you get into it you will develope your own style in shaping dont restrict yourself to tradition.I have lots of different plants Crepe Mirtles Bouganvilieas Figs do very well Good luck from LuLu
    Thanks, lulu & everyone else.

Thanks very much, i just might do what you've said Lulu.

What should i look for in the plant itself before buying one?

I'm pretty sure anything can be Bonsai'd... you just need to train them to grow the way you want them to....
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick2
    There was a really good Burke's Backyard thing about this a few weeks back. Look on the site. May be something there for you. It's all in the root trimming apparently.
    Can Marijuana be bonsai'd?
    Or an Apricot tree, so you could bring it in at nights so the birds couldn't eat the fruit before you get up in the morning.
    No idea where you get good genuine Bonsai in Oz, but there would be clubs or societies for sure. Quite an exciting thing, inasmuch as something that doesn't move can be.
    Warkwick2,

Please please don't tell me the avatar you have is your pic..

CHeers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by BW205
    Warkwick2,
    Please please don't tell me the avatar you have is your pic..
    Could be his wedding photo ... OK.

Asanka, looking for some more chick magnet stuff ? Bonsai will do it.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Have a look at these guys.
    They used to be wholesale only until about a year ago, when Tim (the owner) decided that it would be better going retail due to those companies who decided not to pay him back for stock...
    He has been doing bonsai since he was 8, so I'm sure that you'll find he knows his stuff

They run a bonsai 101 course every few weeks on a sunday night (7-9 or thereabouts) for $50 ($75 for yourself and a parter if you both want a tree)which gives you a tree and a two hour lesson of potting it up and all the info that you need to get started.

-- DJ

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Thanks, lulu & everyone else.

Thanks very much, i just might do what you've said Lulu.

What should i look for in the plant itself before buying one?
    A good plant is one with fiberous root system, Australian figs are great to start, go to a nursery and as for a small leafed fig get one which is about 20cm high in a pot which is about 150mm you can lift the plant out and trim 75% of the roots look at the plant and choose what branches you want to keep and cut the rest off as close ro the main trunk as possible using sharp secutres place the plant in a bonsia pot and pack the potting mix around the roots so that the start of the trunk is level with the top of the pot water well and keep in the shade for a few weeks until the plant starts to show some growth and then its a on gowing process of prunning and shaping dont waste your money with doing lessons buy some good books and use your imagination its a great hobbie just like owning a 405srtd cheers LuLu

Thread Information