Bonsai's where to start.
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    1000+ Posts purrr-geot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    melb
    Posts
    4,377

    Default Bonsai's where to start.

    I've always had an interest in bonsai's & decided there is no better time to start than now.

    Im looking at getting a nice little bonsai to start off with.
    I've got a few questions though.

    1)where is a good place to get one in melbourne
    2)what should i look for when purchasing a bonsai ie colour of leaves ect
    3)what is a reasonable price for a small one

    Who else is into bonsai's here?

    Advertisement


    Thanks

    Asanka

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    493

    Default

    a little off topic...but after i saw karate kid part 1 i wanted to get one too

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts Warwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,664

    Default

    There was a really good Burke's Backyard thing about this a few weeks back. Look on the site. May be something there for you. It's all in the root trimming apparently.
    Can Marijuana be bonsai'd?
    Or an Apricot tree, so you could bring it in at nights so the birds couldn't eat the fruit before you get up in the morning.
    No idea where you get good genuine Bonsai in Oz, but there would be clubs or societies for sure. Quite an exciting thing, inasmuch as something that doesn't move can be.

  4. #4
    Member S Chung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Hey Asanka,
    I've had a few Bonsai's - had a really nice one which was 8 years old but my mum killed it when I went away and left it for her to look after.

    There is a hairdresser in lonsdale st who also runs a bonsai business from home (under The Bonsai Man) you might find him in the yellowpages but no guarantees. He's quite good, my sister got my bonsai from him and he said whenever it needed repotting he would do it for free.

    Be careful to check out the tree pretty closely before you fork out dollars for it though because it is VERY easy to take any twig stick it in a pot put abit of moss around it and pass it off as a bonsai. You'll know a good one if it looks relatively well established and has already had some 'guidance'.

    To get a reasonbly nice medium sized tree your probably looking between $100-$200. I'll try find the guys card - i think I have it somewhere.

    Most importantly you have to remember its a tree - alot of people think its better to keep them inside. But they're best left outside as you would a normal plant - they need ALOT of water and like sun and air too.

    Hope this gives you an idea of how to get started.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! billtran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    367

    Default

    I found this place to be extremely helpful and informative:

    http://www.bonsaikitten.com/

    I hope this helps

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    6,248

    Default

    If you have to buy one, have you really got an interest? Do your own!

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! NZ_Mi16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billtran
    I found this place to be extremely helpful and informative:

    http://www.bonsaikitten.com/

    I hope this helps

    hmm, and we just got 3 kittens

    i wonder how my flatmate would take it
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

    Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Yamba NSW
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    I've always had an interest in bonsai's & decided there is no better time to start than now.

    Im looking at getting a nice little bonsai to start off with.
    I've got a few questions though.

    1)where is a good place to get one in melbourne
    2)what should i look for when purchasing a bonsai ie colour of leaves ect
    3)what is a reasonable price for a small one

    Who else is into bonsai's here?

    Thanks

    Asanka
    Hi Asanka I have been into Bonsai for a few years and its a great interest. To start go to one of the large nurserys and buy a medium size pot $20 buy some good quqality potting mix and a good plant to start of with is a ficus you could buy one about 20cm remove the plant from the pot and trim 75% of the roots and 50% of the folage place it in the pot and pack the potting mix around the roots and keep it in a cool shady position keep it watered. This is a rough guide to get you started there are some good sites on the internet and some good books out there. Some people like the true Jap style. Its up to you on how you go. You can use just about any plant and as you get into it you will develope your own style in shaping dont restrict yourself to tradition.I have lots of different plants Crepe Mirtles Bouganvilieas Figs do very well Good luck from LuLu

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts purrr-geot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    melb
    Posts
    4,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuLu
    Hi Asanka I have been into Bonsai for a few years and its a great interest. To start go to one of the large nurserys and buy a medium size pot $20 buy some good quqality potting mix and a good plant to start of with is a ficus you could buy one about 20cm remove the plant from the pot and trim 75% of the roots and 50% of the folage place it in the pot and pack the potting mix around the roots and keep it in a cool shady position keep it watered. This is a rough guide to get you started there are some good sites on the internet and some good books out there. Some people like the true Jap style. Its up to you on how you go. You can use just about any plant and as you get into it you will develope your own style in shaping dont restrict yourself to tradition.I have lots of different plants Crepe Mirtles Bouganvilieas Figs do very well Good luck from LuLu
    Thanks, lulu & everyone else.

    Thanks very much, i just might do what you've said Lulu.

    What should i look for in the plant itself before buying one?

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! Mitch Mi16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    568

    Default

    I'm pretty sure anything can be Bonsai'd... you just need to train them to grow the way you want them to....
    THE MAD PUGGA

    1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! BW205's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Mostly Hong Kong and sometimes Brisbane
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warwick2
    There was a really good Burke's Backyard thing about this a few weeks back. Look on the site. May be something there for you. It's all in the root trimming apparently.
    Can Marijuana be bonsai'd?
    Or an Apricot tree, so you could bring it in at nights so the birds couldn't eat the fruit before you get up in the morning.
    No idea where you get good genuine Bonsai in Oz, but there would be clubs or societies for sure. Quite an exciting thing, inasmuch as something that doesn't move can be.
    Warkwick2,

    Please please don't tell me the avatar you have is your pic..

    CHeers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

    -Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

  12. #12
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BW205
    Warkwick2,
    Please please don't tell me the avatar you have is your pic..
    Could be his wedding photo ... OK.

    Asanka, looking for some more chick magnet stuff ? Bonsai will do it.

    - XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger! DJ-Studd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    545

    Default

    Have a look at these guys.
    They used to be wholesale only until about a year ago, when Tim (the owner) decided that it would be better going retail due to those companies who decided not to pay him back for stock...
    He has been doing bonsai since he was 8, so I'm sure that you'll find he knows his stuff

    They run a bonsai 101 course every few weeks on a sunday night (7-9 or thereabouts) for $50 ($75 for yourself and a parter if you both want a tree)which gives you a tree and a two hour lesson of potting it up and all the info that you need to get started.




    -- DJ

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Yamba NSW
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Thanks, lulu & everyone else.

    Thanks very much, i just might do what you've said Lulu.

    What should i look for in the plant itself before buying one?
    A good plant is one with fiberous root system, Australian figs are great to start, go to a nursery and as for a small leafed fig get one which is about 20cm high in a pot which is about 150mm you can lift the plant out and trim 75% of the roots look at the plant and choose what branches you want to keep and cut the rest off as close ro the main trunk as possible using sharp secutres place the plant in a bonsia pot and pack the potting mix around the roots so that the start of the trunk is level with the top of the pot water well and keep in the shade for a few weeks until the plant starts to show some growth and then its a on gowing process of prunning and shaping dont waste your money with doing lessons buy some good books and use your imagination its a great hobbie just like owning a 405srtd cheers LuLu

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •