Buying from brokers/buying services?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Buying from brokers/buying services?

Anyone tried them, comments/experiences?

Advertisement
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

1000+ Posts

I tried the Teachers Credit Union car buying service - they couldn't find me the car I wanted!

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Anyone tried them, comments/experiences?
    what sort of brokers? , i have bought shares from a stock broker before...
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

- Lincoln

They could be OK but I would need to speak to people I knew that had dealt with them first as opposed to testimonials that they supply.
    I don't know if there is any legislation to control them (in Australia there's usually legislation to control any legitimate business) but if not then you could run the risk of getting gazumped.
    There were a few of these types kicking around when I was in the game & another tyre kicker once told me about an instance where one was looking at a car for a potential buyer and made mention that the engine sounded a bit rattly; the salesman handed him a $20 note & the one checking the car said "ahh, that sounds much better!!"
    The car was sold. Buyer beware. What do they say? Caveat Emptor

As I say, they may be different now, but if they are ex salesmen, they'll have "contacts" who you can bet will all be giving them a sling per sale. As they used to say, twenty bucks will hide a lot of rattles & fifty can make smoke disappear.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

i dont know if we have this type of service here??

but after Alan S's comments, i dont think it would be our loss anyway
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

Parasites and a waste of space. They get in the middle and make money. Stands to reason this could well be the customers money.
    If it's a big commercial concern like Hertz or CBFC it's a different story price-wise, however they add other costs to the equation but the little independent parasites are just that.
    Can you tell that my mother was frightened by a car broker just before she gave birth to me?

I'm referring to new cars.

Warwick, thanks for your input as you work for a car yard. Do many people use these guys? That newcarbuyers site looks very well done, as it from a US company. Why would it be a problem to use one of these guys? I'm looking at a Ford here, and every Ford dealer I've ever dealt with have been seriously lacking in service, so I prefer that someone offering "service" gets a kick back, rather than a git at Ford.
    - Lincoln

What makes you think the guy at the Ford joint won't get his cut? Of course he will; this bod will be on a spotters fee to top up the fee he charges to do the deal (with his mate) for you; next trick, you have a problem with the car, the service manager at the Ford place it came from is a grand finalist in "asshole of the year" so who do you see about getting some satisfaction from the service department? Honest John the car broker? Betcha quids he'll hang up in your ear.
    If you're a gullible little old lady who gets impressed by this guy calling you "love" & "my dear" and know nothing about dealing with tyre kickers, then there is some satisfaction in not having to put up with some strong arm, chainsmoking, goldtoother and the cost is possibly worth the saving of the aggro. However, if you have a sadistic streak like me & like to watch the [email protected][email protected] sweat, do the rounds yourself and have some fun. Then have a problem & if all else fails, give him a serve on the showroom floor right in the middle of a big promo on a new model...be surprised how fast things that were "within the manufacturers acceptable standards" suddenly become warranty claims.
    This way, you have a connection and a face to go looking for if big problems arise & believe me, with Fords, Historically big problems do arise.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

when a certain car hire company was around i was told that you steered clear of cars that had the business name in the books WTH
    We
    Try
    Harder

i think you can work it out from there
    the person that told me this was or still is in the business of buying cars and selling cars
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I am in the process of looking for a D8 406 SV (everyone keep your eyes peeled for a good one!). I called the car broker that is employed by my union - their website says "we'll find you a car within 24 hours" when I told him the car I was looking for he said "...errrrr, if you don't hear from me within two weeks, that means we can't find one" !!!! Moreover, I had to go into some detail explaining what the car was, and he didn't even bother to find out my price range or type of transmission I was looking for. They might be fine to locate a ford or a holden ie. "go look at the nearest car yard to you", but anything a little unusual, and I suspect they won't want to know you. Although, it's been a week since I called them, so I haven't completely abandoned hope - just yet

Good advice guys. Thanks!

Last time I bought a new car, I never met the Service Manager, wasn't even offered to me.
    - Lincoln

Lewin Partridge used to do this in Brisbane, may well still do...

He simply kept a running list of cars that were for sale, usually cars that he serviced, or at least cars that he knew, and put buyers in touch with the owners. He copped a commission when there was a sale.

Thread Information