Happy Birthday to me!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Happy Birthday to me!

I've been waiting for this day all my life and now it's here- I'm finally 17!!!

I'm going to pick up an application form for a provisional license this afternoon!

Advertisement

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaLudlow
    I've been waiting for this day all my life and now it's here- I'm finally 17!!!
    Other then driving ... is 17 a milestone for anything else? What's voting/drinking age in the UK 18 or 21 ?

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

18 for both- I don't drink a tremendous lot and I probably won't vote because the government is a crap one anyway.

UFO

18 for both- I don't drink a tremendous lot and I probably won't vote because the government is a crap one anyway.
    So typical of young people today Donna. I won't vote cause what's the point?! Well the point is if everybody like you had their say by voting it is their ONLY opportunity to legally change the government.

In Aus, voting is compulsory for everyone over 18yo who is registered. I believe that registration is compulsory, but have not heard of anyone being prosecuted for not registering. However people are prosecuted for not voting if they are registered.

Remember that the winner only needs one more vote in their favour to push them over the line. Wouldn't be unfortunate if that candidate lost by a small margin AND was one you may have liked the policies of?

If you don't vote you have no right to complain about the government in my opinion!

I am now bordering on starting a political debate so will cease my "rantette" there.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Great day and big year for you, drive safely and enjoy that 505 Donna.
    I remember my first driving year well, fun and freedom and a lot to learn, and that was befor cell/mobile phones where around to distract from the main job, and I don't mean texting. have a happy day.
    Cheers GavinS
    Cheers- GavinS 25 GTX 1987 build 2165cc auto - TBR. Renault is properly pronounced "Rhen-oh."
    .......................................Nissan Skyline (daily driver)
    Seek the blindspot and unknown of The Johari Window.

Zen

Happy birthday, Donna. 17 was my favourite age, doing things legally just doesn't feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinS
    Great day and big year for you, drive safely and enjoy that 505 Donna.
    I remember my first driving year well, fun and freedom and a lot to learn, and that was befor cell/mobile phones where around to distract from the main job, and I don't mean texting. have a happy day.
    Cheers GavinS
    Oh jesus, don't get me started on the mobile phones whilst driving law... if they can justify that then why don't they ban CD players and radios in cars? My cousin's car was t-boned by a person in an SUV who was fubbling for a CD to put into the player. What's the difference?

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Happy B'day

I remember being 17 (it was inly a few yrs ago!) anything that I can do legally now ,was much much more fun to do illegally
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

Icon12

hi donna,

well , happy birthday my dear and have a great day- you can look forward to turning 21 now. knowing what i know now i wish i was 21 again...hmmmm.

cheers
    glenn.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    Oh jesus, don't get me started on the mobile phones whilst driving law... if they can justify that then why don't they ban CD players and radios in cars?
    What about lighting a ciggie .... (or dropping ash in the lap)? Sure you can hold a cancer stick (coffin nail) in your mouth, but it must be a distraction.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Ohhhh, 17 isn't that cute.. hehehe, i remember my first year of driving be it only 5/6 years ago.... The Kombi did me proud.. Now i love my ..

Happy Birthday anyways Donna and drive safe...
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

Hey!! Happy Birthday!

Myself, I struggle to remember what it was like at 17. Although it was only just over 10 years ago, it must have been good considering that I can't remember it!

Hope you have/had a great day and take care out there on the roads!
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)
    I can feel a GTI 180 coming on!

Congrats 17. You little tiger, i was 17 2 years ago, funnily enough i spent my 17th b'day cleaning up the school with the principle.

How can you not vote, I love voting & it was one of the things i was really looking forward to when i was young. Maybe it was all the international studies & history i studied. Please vote, just think of it as a way of representing yourself

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    How can you not vote, I love voting & it was one of the things i was really looking forward to when i was young. Maybe it was all the international studies & history i studied. Please vote, just think of it as a way of representing yourself
    Yes, I think it's pretty sad that so many (especially young people) don't care about the political process.

If you don't like the current government, it's simple - you vote for someone else. But if you sit on your bum and do nothing about it, you may well just end up with the same lot you don't like.

It's not exactly hard to vote - heck, they even give you "How to Vote" cards!

BTW, Happy Birthday

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Congrats on being 17 donna. All the best.

I must jump on the voting band wagon. As a student of government, especially the Australian political system, I implore all people to take voting seriously.

If only to feel that your voice is doing something more than whining. Democracy is about choice, choose to vote, and choose to voice your grievances.

That being said politics today is mostly based on appeasement and cheap political stunts based around and not on social and fiscical policy. My thoughts anyway

enought rant,

congrats again donna

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Happy Birthday Donna!!

Wishing you all the best and definately safe driving.

The Queensland Election is coming up next on the 7th Feb.....I kinda feeling what Donna is feeling ...who should I vote when they all not doing their job properly.
    I pretty much feel the same way every time I voted since the last 7 years.

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

I don't want to get too political, but to give you an idea of how important voting is remeber this.
    In the US more people voted for American idol than the US election, as you remeber the last USA election was very close between george W bush & Al gore. As we know GW Bush won & well the worlds change alot & we even went to war. Arguably this may not have happened if Al Gore won.

So basically it can be concluded that if more people voted or if voting was compolsary in the USA we "may" not have had a war!

Asanka-out
    (electoral enrolment officer)

Just seen your photo!

You look pretty attractive and you say you're 19?

UFO

Asanka - according to the rules of discussing "anything" you are treading on very rocky ground. Not sure if you were around before the great debates re George W etc and the angst it caused. Don't go further down this path please.

Just my
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Donna, you haven't seen my photo because, sadly, i am WAY TOO attractive. Probably wouldn't be good for you to see someone like me. Not at your age; not when you've gotta go out, meet someone then try a bit later on to reproduce. Too risky.
    However, it's time you posted your pic. Prove to us you are not an unemployed father of five, 44 year old welder from ST. Albans.
    It is not sexist of me to ask this just because you are female. If you were a 25 year old male, who looked like a teenage female, I would like to see your pic as well.
    Thank you for your time. Now I will go back to my beer and FAT CLUB on telly.
    Purrr-geot. Less time in front of the mirror and more time in front of the dictionary.

ACTUALLY CHAPS (and wee Donna) I really admire the way PURR-GEOT used, presumably, his own pic as an avatar. Good thing. Maybe there could be a move towards this. Hmmm idea for new thread.

Just seen your photo!

You look pretty attractive and you say you're 19?
    AHAHHAHAH
    Unfortunetly i look alot better than that clown, the avatar is of gti124 aka Lincoln.

Lincoln's in his 50's now .

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    In the US more people voted for American idol than the US election, as you remeber the last USA election was very close between george W bush & Al gore. As we know GW Bush won
    Actually, Gore did win .. it's a long story.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information