non french car corner
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default non french car corner

Be great if we had a non french general car chat section, I don't want to join another car forum to talk about timing belts on V6 A4 audi's , we all own various other marque's, I know it's against the whole aussiefrog ethos, but more often than not you get good input here.

Any thoughts?

Tom

Advertisement

Tom,

The Toad Pond is available for non French stuff. Create a thread in there and the odds are plenty of people will say "Audi Tom..."

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Not to sure about the pond Dave,

Adieu

1000+ Posts

Changed one on an Audi V6 N/S engine. Don't remember the model. No big deal - just another engine. Didn't take long to do as i remember.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

The issue for us is the car is 11 years old, less than 60 thou on the clock and timing belt never been touched, the book says every 5 years or 50 thou, local independent audi guy in Oakleigh said we were mad to keep driving it and quoted $1500, east west engine absolutely no room in the engine bay and the germans complicate things so much I can't replace a blinker bulb with out getting mechanical assistance to remove the headlight housing.

I don't own any other marque, other than my motor bike.

I'd prefer not to see non-French marques here.
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale

Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeot 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI;
    1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet (better car than the 2002 model we replaced it with)

Tom, that is exactly what the toad pond is for. You have not said why you are not sure about it. If it is becasue of the current argumentativeness, then the way to improve the tone of it is for people like you to start threads about Audis and other non-controversial topics.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by 505604 View Post
    I don't own any other marque, other than my motor bike.

I'd prefer not to see non-French marques here.
    Even my motorbike is French...

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

WHY NOT JUST POST, ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH AUDI CAM BELT BLAR BLAR PM ME ,YOUV MADE THE CONTACT AND NOT BROUGHT IT ONTO THE FORUM ,MY EXPERIENCE WITH OTHER FORUMS IS THEY SEEM TO CONCENTRATE ON MUDFLAPS AND WHICH POLISH TO USE ,THERE SEEMS TO BE LITTLE CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK ON HOW TO ACTUAL DO ANYTHING ,FROGS SEEMS TO HAVE AN ABUNDANCE OF KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE WHO ARE ACTUAL PREPARED TO HELP, HAVING 4 GROWN UP SONS THERE ARE ALWAYS LOTS OF EUROES AROUND HERE .ITS INTERESTING TO SEE HOW OTHER BRANDS DO THINGS ,MAKES YOU APPRECIATE FRENCH EVEN MORE .PUGS ps CAP LOCK, GOT HALF WAY THROUGH BEFORE I LOOKED UP COULDN'T BE BOTHERED STARTING AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Tom, that is exactly what the toad pond is for. You have not said why you are not sure about it. If it is becasue of the current argumentativeness, then the way to improve the tone of it is for people like you to start threads about Audis and other non-controversial topics.

Roger
    You got it in one Roger

Quote Originally Posted by tomb View Post
    You got it in one Roger
    So do something about it, Tom. Start your Audi thread there and help give people some decent, normal threads to look at and post in. You will have company. A Rover thread has just started there ("Why ???"). I already have 8 posts in it!

Bit by bit we will clean the pond. We just need a few sensible people to start some decent threads.

Roger

Roger
    Roger, sad to say, it ain't going to happen.

Already the negative comments about discussing other marques are starting.

My suggestion is to join another Forum, as I have done after acquiring a Japanese vehicle. It can be an eye opener as to tolerance-on-line as well.

The toad pond is destined to stay murky IMO.

Some French car owners tend to be one-eyed and "blinkered" about merits of other marques anyway.

I've done a NS B6 A4 belt, as Jo says no big deal.

Whole bumper etc had to come off, but it was well designed and straightforward to do.

I'd like to leave till it's done 100 thou , same change interval as the 505 GTI.

I am not saying we can clean all the murky scum from the toad pond. I am saying we can re-balance it by starting and continuing more "good" threads to better countervail the existing "evil".

There has been plenty of positive discussion of non-French vehicles on Aussiefrogs over the years. Rob, I am sure you remember the constructive discussion about your importation of a Japanese vehicle.

I am not ready to give up on Aussiefrogs or the toad pond.

Roger

I am not saying we can clean all the murky scum from the toad pond. I am saying we can re-balance it by starting and continuing more "good" threads to better countervail the existing "evil".

There has been plenty of positive discussion of non-French vehicles on Aussiefrogs over the years. Rob, I am sure you remember the constructive discussion about your importation of a Japanese vehicle.

Roger
    Well said Roger. The Pond is supposed to be where threads that don't necessarily fit anywhere else go. It's a pity that a few have taken it over to push their particular viewpoint - it seems with the full agreement of the current moderator.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2353 View Post
    Well said Roger. The Pond is supposed to be where threads that don't necessarily fit anywhere else go. It's a pity that a few have taken it over to push their particular viewpoint - it seems with the full agreement of the current moderator.
    Don't worry, i like your viepoint as well.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

UFO

Would you go to an Audi forum and expect worthwhile discussion on how to repair a Citroen, Peugeot, Renault etc? Why do you think people from around the world come to Aussiefrogs to join in and learn and share about French cars?

The Pond is your only option.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Roger
    Yes Roger, I know the thread.

However it's in dispersed with protests from a certain 205 (commercial?)devotee who has little tolerance for anything that doesn't have have a French flavor.

As I said some members have a narrow minded view that unless it's French it can't be discussed and it's probably inferior anyway.

In these cases I go elsewhere and find the tolerance of other marques refreshing.

Generally I don't bother about the pond too much these days.

The Pond is your only option. [/QUOTE]

That's the only option at the moment.

I'll try again.

It would be great if this fantastic french car forum had a sub section that was devoted to car chat/maintenance etc for cars made in different countries. From where I sit there is no down side to this change. There more logic in this type of section than having the pond.

You are either for or against it.

Yeah or nah

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Tomb

this is part of the reason why the pond was started up in the first place

use it for this reason if need be and remember this is a french car site so get in there and start the thread you need to start

ignore the people who upset the thread and carry on it's not that hard

sorry if that comes across quite blunt but my tolerance for whinging is at an all time low
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

There are French cars and "French" cars. This forum IMHO does a great job in helping communications between those Australian and the anglophone world at large, who enjoy the history and ownership of the truly French cars of yesteryear. Today cars are global or at least transnational and it is no longer appropriate to apply national stereotypes to badges on the front of vehicles. That is, unless you are a quirky Australian motoring journalist. The marques that UFO lists share their components and places of assembly with the other transnational brands. I think it adds to the appreciation of the contemporary "French" cars if they are put in perspective with discussion about the other marques. The problems of today's Renaults, if any, can't be discussed without considering the impact on other members of the Alliance. PSA engines are shared with BMW and Ford and shortly will have common platforms with cars branded GM etc.
    I think that other marques should not be excluded and if that is too painful for the diehards, then it should be with the toads.

Australia today is a relatively small and highly competitive market for overpriced cars, with a limited appetite for fuel economy and pollution control.
    We, as passionnés of the French marques would all like to see a bigger, stronger presence of their cars in Australia.
    However, they are all commited to the European strategy to improve quality of life by encouraging control of urban pollution, economising on natural resources and minimising their contribution to global warming. The French management and government classes are very scientific and technology literate and scientists occupy a highly respected place in society. The French are well aware of the interest groups that have spread FUD to weaken the global debate on how to counter man-made warming effects and their secondary attack on scientists as a "kill the messenger" attack.
    This Forum is an easy, if not very objective, source of market research to those responsible for decisions about development of thier presence in Australia. It, to me, carries a very negative message, while its administration and users appear to tolerate the presence of debate discredited by the mainstream of global scientific and strategic policy authorities. On these, the technology strategy of the automotive industry, often led by French R&D, is based.
    I suggest that the authors of these threads be encouraged to move to the many web sites that act as safety valves for extreme views and that this forum returns to its core values.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

sorry Gerry i'm going to have to disagree

this site is for ren pug cit and other defunct french makes

anything else can be discussed in the pond

you talk of other makes that share parts and that is all good but still have no real relevance to the cars we drive

for instance the 406 STDT that shares it's engine with ford, the engines may be the same but that's where it stops, everything else is different and i adre say you are going to find that across the board as each manufacturer is going to attach different parts to a very basic short engine

so what we should discuss in the main part of this site are the 3 main french marques and the defunct french marques for which we have a section for

anything else frenchish can go in froggy chat and the rest is for the pond

rant over
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    There are French cars and "French" cars. This forum IMHO does a great job in helping communications between those Australian and the anglophone world at large, who enjoy the history and ownership of the truly French cars of yesteryear. Today cars are global or at least transnational and it is no longer appropriate to apply national stereotypes to badges on the front of vehicles. That is, unless you are a quirky Australian motoring journalist. The marques that UFO lists share their components and places of assembly with the other transnational brands. I think it adds to the appreciation of the contemporary "French" cars if they are put in perspective with discussion about the other marques. The problems of today's Renaults, if any, can't be discussed without considering the impact on other members of the Alliance. PSA engines are shared with BMW and Ford and shortly will have common platforms with cars branded GM etc.
    I think that other marques should not be excluded and if that is too painful for the diehards, then it should be with the toads.

Australia today is a relatively small and highly competitive market for overpriced cars, with a limited appetite for fuel economy and pollution control.
    We, as passionnés of the French marques would all like to see a bigger, stronger presence of their cars in Australia.
    However, they are all commited to the European strategy to improve quality of life by encouraging control of urban pollution, economising on natural resources and minimising their contribution to global warming. The French management and government classes are very scientific and technology literate and scientists occupy a highly respected place in society. The French are well aware of the interest groups that have spread FUD to weaken the global debate on how to counter man-made warming effects and their secondary attack on scientists as a "kill the messenger" attack.
    This Forum is an easy, if not very objective, source of market research to those responsible for decisions about development of thier presence in Australia. It, to me, carries a very negative message, while its administration and users appear to tolerate the presence of debate discredited by the mainstream of global scientific and strategic policy authorities. On these, the technology strategy of the automotive industry, often led by French R&D, is based.
    I suggest that the authors of these threads be encouraged to move to the many web sites that act as safety valves for extreme views and that this forum returns to its core values.
    Whilst I agree with your sentiments on this particular topic. I also believe in free speech.

To "encourage" members with different views to what you (and I) have about certain matters to "move on" would be contrary to Australian values of free speech.

It is also the reason the toad pond exists.

As I have been told on many occasions if you don't like the content of the thread don't read it and don't post. I have taken this advice.

There is no such thing as a car that is made entirely in one nation these days as Gerry suggests. Some "French manufacturer" cars in Australia come with Made in Turkey or Made in Korea labels on them. The motor in my "French" car comes from a BMW joint venture and the transmission is Japanese. I'm all for bringing in other manufacturers. The perfect example is Whirlpool which started off as a forum for those on Big Pond. I'd suggest most users of the forum today have never been a Big Pond customer.

I agree entirely and as one of those who occasionally stir the pot in the Pond I would be more than happy if the threads that "appear to tolerate the presence of debate discredited by the mainstream of global scientific and strategic policy authorities" were deleted. They add nothing and generally have little peer reviewed research or genuine discussion in them. I sincerely hope there is a return to the original intent of the Pond - and this conversation starts the process happening.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information