High Octane Pump Fuels
  • Help

Default High Octane Pump Fuels

What's everyone's view on current pump fuels? Shell have dumped their 100 and now sell Shell V-Power 98 and Premium 98. What's the difference? I have been running Caltex 98 in the 205 but a quick troll around around the web suggests that it's not as stable as it use to be, BP 98 seems to be the current favourite. United are still selling Premium 100, which is a blend of 10% ethanol. Maybe I should switch to that?

Advertisement

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

JBN

Do what you like.

If respondent A tells you to keep looking for 100 octane; repondent B tells you only Bee Pee will do; repondent C tells you Caltex 98 is the star performer, where does that leave you? Filling 1/3 of the tank with each?
    Why don't you do your own tests to see if you can tell the difference between them. Use whichever is the winner in your eyes.

I use 98 octane for both 2CVs and Xantia. I use Shell when I have 8c litre discount vouchers and the Xantia is below half full (ie need a lot of litres). With the 2CV, I use Caltex 98, because it is the closest to where I live, doesn't require me to drive through traffic light intersections and at the worst I am up for less than 25 litres. As it is not a Woolworths Caltex, discount vouchers do not apply, so I don't have a traffic jam to put up with.

The difference between bad fuel and good fuel is about a week, by which time you will have to fill up again.

John

What I like is a fuel that doesn't detonate at 7500rpm. Like you, I buy Caltex 98 because it's convenient on my way to either EC or Wakefield. What's not used becomes lawn mower fuel etc., so the fuel is always fresh. The cost is really irrelevant to the application, the fuel just needs to be consistent. A friend who owns a Lotus Elan recently detonated his engine due to running 98, so I'm just being a little cautious. He had been running BP100 successfully for 4 -5 yrs but got lazy and thought he'd just fill up at the servo. I like the convenience of pump fuel but if the consistency isn't their I may have to buy elsewehere.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

According to Shell's website you can put V-Power 98 into your F1 Ferrari - so it must be good!

http://www.shell.com.au/products-ser...pkg/about.html

It would appear that V-Power 98 is for performance and Premium 98 has the Shell "Fuel Economy Formula". Both products are listed in the link above, but there is a bit of gobbledegook to decipher.

You are talking about an engine under "racing" conditions, or a very modified road engine, right?

At least this thread made me look at what V-power is all about - it appears to only be the 98 octane, I had thought it was just a new Shell buzz-word applying across the range of fuels.

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

In Goulburn there are two Shell servo's. One sells V-Power 98, the other sells Premium 98.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

I asked the guy at the Forbes service station about that.
    He told me that the V-Power name was sold to Coles so you only get that at Coles Express outlets.
    98 is supplied to the privately owned stations.I haven't seen it in Victoria so maybe all the outlets are owned by Coles here.
    There is a difference but he didn't know what it was, maybe it doesn't have the cleaning additives?
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    According to Shell's website you can put V-Power 98 into your F1 Ferrari - so it must be good!

http://www.shell.com.au/products-ser...pkg/about.html

It would appear that V-Power 98 is for performance and Premium 98 has the Shell "Fuel Economy Formula". Both products are listed in the link above, but there is a bit of gobbledegook to decipher.

You are talking about an engine under "racing" conditions, or a very modified road engine, right?

At least this thread made me look at what V-power is all about - it appears to only be the 98 octane, I had thought it was just a new Shell buzz-word applying across the range of fuels.

Cheers.

Fellow Frogger!

Same situation with Shell in SA. V-Power at Coles Express and Premium 98 at privately owned (only 3 left in metro Adelaide).

Could it be that the difference is one has a fancy name and the other doesn't?

Roger

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Could it be that the difference is one has a fancy name and the other doesn't?

Roger
    It does sound like the mucketing people had one too many lattes.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Good idea keeping your mower fuel fresh. Stale fuel is a major cause of non start in outdoor power products. Be sure that you don't use any fuel containing ethanol in your mower, brushcutter, chainsaw, etc., especially hard working high speed chain saws. They have no means of compensating for the extra oxygen in ethanol fuels which can cook them very quickly if the running mixture hasn't been set rich. Standard is the recommended fuel these days for these instruments of torture.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 88lp View Post
    Same situation with Shell in SA. V-Power at Coles Express and Premium 98 at privately owned (only 3 left in metro Adelaide).
    Found out that you can get 100ron at the United on Portrush Road....!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

VIP Sponsor

98 with added ethanol.
    Worked well in my rally 205 when I tried it the other day. Actually E10 is slightly equivalent to using NOS in that it adds oxygen, richen up the mixture to compensate and you will get more power.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    Found out that you can get 100ron at the United on Portrush Road....!

We have Freedom and United fuels here in QLD. They have 10% ethanol and 95 octane. Seems to work very well in all my vehicles. It's usually cheaper than regular unleaded 91, too. 10% ethanol isn't going to do much to your jetting, (running lean) really.
    Peugeot 504 Intercooled T04 Turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygous View Post
    We have Freedom and United fuels here in QLD. They have 10% ethanol and 95 octane. Seems to work very well in all my vehicles. It's usually cheaper than regular unleaded 91, too. 10% ethanol isn't going to do much to your jetting, (running lean) really.
    I've been using Freedom and Matilda E10 for years in a number of cars (Japanese and Euro) that required 95 octane fuel. Never had a problem in any of them that was in any way related to incorrect fuel. And the reason I started doing it was that it is cheaper than the standard 91 from Shell, BP and so on.

<Edit> Maltilda/Neumann have just been bought out by Puma (apparently they are an Euro petrol distributor trying to get a foothold in Australia).
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

JBN

I have two 2CVs and a Xantia running on 98 octane. Both of the 2CVs are worth more now than when I aquired them. The Xantia is insured for triple the price it was bought at. My point is that I buy cars cheap, keep them well maintained and keep them for a long time (10 years, except for the 2CVs which will be disposed of after my departure from the world).

I don't care about the price of fuel. Having pushed a car for a kilometre once (at 3am) because it had run out of fuel, I regard all fuel as cheap, as my fuel bill per annum is less than the annual depreciation on most other people's cars.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I have two 2CVs and a Xantia running on 98 octane. Both of the 2CVs are worth more now than when I aquired them. The Xantia is insured for triple the price it was bought at. My point is that I buy cars cheap, keep them well maintained and keep them for a long time (10 years, except for the 2CVs which will be disposed of after my departure from the world).

I don't care about the price of fuel. Having pushed a car for a kilometre once (at 3am) because it had run out of fuel, I regard all fuel as cheap, as my fuel bill per annum is less than the annual depreciation on most other people's cars.

John
    You're right John - in the scheme of things, petrol is reasonably cheap anyway. A can of Coke is around $3 for 375ml at a takeaway shop - giving a "per litre" cost of around $8. Petrol is around $1.50ish a litre. E10 does also reduce the requirement for oil - as it mostly comes from sugar mill waste in this neck of the woods.

1000+ Posts

I have a bit of a giggle every time i hear the arguement that Shell V-power 98/premium 98 is better or worse than BP 98, because in Victoria BP don't have a refinery and they use Shell.

The opposite applies in Queensland where Shell don't have a refinery

The different results in performance are more likely due to the age of the fuel

Quote Originally Posted by 27of85 View Post
    The different results in performance are more likely due to the age of the fuel
    And people's perceptions that the yellow brand is somehow better or worse than the green brand when they supply an (almost) identical product.

Thanks for the tips. I decided to make a blend of 75% 98 pump fuel (from the closet servo at the time) and 25% BP100 (avgas).

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information