Moving an unregistered car from Melbourne to Hobart - how difficult?
  • Help

Default Moving an unregistered car from Melbourne to Hobart - how difficult?

Any time I've booked a trip on the ferry online they've asked for a registration plate number. If it's driveable, how difficult is it to get an unregistered car from Melbourne to Hobart - some form of day permit each end, or would it be more economical to just use a transport company?
    Haven't bought the vehicle in question yet, just trying to work out what the added costs will be.

Advertisement
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

1000+ Posts

check out if your transport permit requires a safety certificate [rego check] attached ,can be a problem if the car needs work PUGS.

easy just get a unregistered vehicle permit from vic roads and make sure it gives enough time for the trip all the way to hobart, the permit does cover driving in other states as long as you start the trip in that state you get the permit from

French technology can do this for you. See
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariane_5
    It depends on the size of the vehicle but the 5 series can put 5 tonnes in orbit. You will need permission to launch in Melbourne which may need an Act of Parliament. Once your vehicle is in orbit and appropriately equipped with parachutes for a soft landing you can choose your time and place for collection in the Hobart region. Avoid the city itself - too many tourists but you could do a deal with MONA to present the landing as a modern art event.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Problem is here in Australia it depends on which air head you ask.

Years ago I flew to Brisbane to bring back an unregistered car. I spoke to Vicroads and explained what my intentions were and they sold me a permit saying I was driving from Bris to Melb over these cetain days.

About 10 mins from the NSW border still in Qld get pulled over. The cop is telling me permits do not apply in different states and that I need to apply for a new permit in every state I was travelling in.

I argued with him that a permit buys your TAC insurance for those days which is Australia wide, like registration, you don't reregister your car every time you cross the border but he was possitive he was right.

He didn't book me because he could see that I'd done what I had been told to do by the Vic authorities but warned me that any other cop might not let me off.
    I drove the car all the way home, saw lots of cops across NSW, made sure I was off the road by 7pm (as the permit states) and luckily didn't get stopped.

I still say I'm right and he's wrong but the problem here in Oz is that one state doesn't talk to the other.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Thanks all.
    Gerry, your suggestion looks good, as I can't get it on the ferry 'til the end of the first week in January, which is beginning to make it all look too complicated given other deadlines. So it seems like I'll have to pass on starting to stockpile cars in Tasmania
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Banned

nsw:
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...icles/uvp.html
    *need to get a safety check first (ie can drive to get that without a permit or rego)
    *valid in other states except WA
    *up to 28 days

vic:
    http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...iclePermit.htm
    *seems you have to get one even to drive to an inspection station. heavy!
    *but, therefore, does not require a safety check
    *dont need one from vic if your journey ends in victoria (but presumably need one from the departure state)
    *up to 28 days
    *good in other states, but seems prudent to have that intention put on the permit.

1000+ Posts

In N.S.W.it isnt a bad idea to make arrangements at the inspection station and right out a Letter of intent ,i Jo blogs am driving honda blar blar to Freds garage for rego check SIGNED ,so if an uninformed plod pulls you up you can present it and have him ring Fred to confirm your booking ,so he knows your lagit ,iv always written one,never been pulled up ,and QLD is different again PUGS

Banned

qld:
    http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Registrati...-vehicles.aspx

*same as nsw; ie you may drive the car with no permit, to have inspected for rego
    *can drive to a registry to have it registered, but have to have CTP paid
    *if it is refused rego at the registry for some reason, need a permit to drive it home
    *website confirms that the Permit has to be issued in the state where the trip originated. (sorry david, but plod was correct).
    *qld issue permits good in all states except WA.
    (what is it about WA? seems to be real prick of a place for road and car policing...)
    *i didnt realise this, but in qld, a safety certificate is required to transfer the rego, or even offer it for sale (eg with your phone number in the window and the word "interested?"!) ie an unroadworthy car cannot be transferred with rego. tough luck if you wish to sell a car of value, which needs an expensive repair you cant afford!

the net result of this is that it seems moving a car from Vic to anywhere else is the easiest possible combination, as you dont need an inspection to get the Permit in victoria.
    Last edited by alexander; 21st December 2012 at 03:53 PM.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

C'mon Alexander I'm waiting for the update on WA.

What I can say about WA, as I did it last month is that it cost $21 for a two day pass to drive anywhere while unregistered and with out them viewing the car.
    I did not ask if I could drive interstate though, as I only had to go 100km but the old Floride was lucky that it made it 10km.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    qld:
    http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Registrati...-vehicles.aspx

*same as nsw; ie you may drive the car with no permit, to have inspected for rego
    *can drive to a registry to have it registered, but have to have CTP paid
    *if it is refused rego at the registry for some reason, need a permit to drive it home
    *website confirms that the Permit has to be issued in the state where the trip originated. (sorry david, but plod was correct).
    *qld issue permits good in all states except WA.
    (what is it about WA? seems to be real prick of a place for road and car policing...)
    *i didnt realise this, but in qld, a safety certificate is required to transfer the rego, or even offer it for sale (eg with your phone number in the window and the word "interested?"!) ie an unroadworthy car cannot be transferred with rego. tough luck if you wish to sell a car of value, which needs an expensive repair you cant afford!

the net result of this is that it seems moving a car from Vic to anywhere else is the easiest possible combination, as you dont need an inspection to get the Permit in victoria.
    My main argument with Mr Plod was that me being Mr Joe Average told VicRoads what I was doing and made sure that I was legal, they said at the time they had rang QLD to confirm and what I had was Australia wide, Ok if Mr Plod was right why was I sold something that wasn't right after they apparently rang QLD to check.

Here in Vic you don't need an inspection to get a permit, the object of the permit is to get the car to be inspected and have some sort of TAC cover wilst doing so. You are aloud to drive home a car you've just purchased on a permit. Manheim auctions will sell you a permit when you pick up your car, no inpection needed. Permit only valid from 7am to 7pm.

Once you have your roadworthy you can drive direct from either from the tester or home to be registered without a permit. You are legal as long as you are on a direct route in the time frame of you rego appiontment.
    People have driven to VicRoads and failed rego and have had to buy a permit to get home, those people are never very happy.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post

Once you have your roadworthy you can drive direct from either from the tester or home to be registered without a permit. You are legal as long as you are on a direct route in the time frame of you rego appiontment.
    People have driven to VicRoads and failed rego and have had to buy a permit to get home, those people are never very happy.
    i must say that as i read it, in Vic, you are not allowed to drive a car anywhere anytime unless registered, or on a UVP. so if you are at an inspection station, or vicroads, you either already have a UVP, or you drove there illegally. if they latter, i would have thought you would just drive home illegally too?

What are you buying, Bruce?
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Nothing, Donat. I can't get anything on a ferry in time to get it fixed and ready to be registered before I have to fly home again.
    Bruce H

i must say that as i read it, in Vic, you are not allowed to drive a car anywhere anytime unless registered, or on a UVP. so if you are at an inspection station, or vicroads, you either already have a UVP, or you drove there illegally. if they latter, i would have thought you would just drive home illegally too?
    I sometimes wonder if Kafka wasn't Australian!
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Banned

Default Moving an unregistered car from Melbourne to Hobart - how difficult?

With respect to petty regulation my brother has described Australia as "UK Lite". I think that is quite apt.

Not quite. Say you had an appiontment for rego next Weds at 3pm and you have your RWC in hand. As long as you are on a direct route to Vicroads you don't need a permit. Mind you if you turn down a side street to buy food you are no longer on a direct route so therefore you need a permit.

Many times I've driven straight from home to VicRoads without a permit and natrually I've been pulled up but once I've shown them my papers and appointment time there fine with it.

There has been cases where the aholes at VicRoads have found a typo in the VIN or engine number and rejected the rego and the frustrated customer has stormed out straight into the arms of the law because somehow they know he didn't buy a permit while he was in there.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

Thread Information