Daffy Duck Has Been Damaged.
  • Help
    JBN

Default Daffy Duck Has Been Damaged.

Damn! I was involved in a slight motor accident today in Daffy Duck.

Fifth car in a right turn only lane, sweating on car 4 to get through on the green light, both of us made it through on the orange. Car 4 was a real dawdler and I'm riding the clutch in 2nd gear to stop the car from stalling (yes folks, there ARE cars slower than a 2CV).

Just down the road (50m from the intersection) is another intersection, this time in a surburban single lane street. Lady Dawdler, slows down (ie stops) and switches on the right turn indicator.

Beaut, there is room on the left so I overtake (undertake?).

Shit! As I draw alongside, Lady Dawdler decides that she meant LEFT, not RIGHT.

I tried to accelerate (ie I peddled harder) but her nearside front wheel hit my back mudguard. A split second later and I would have been out of her way!

Advertisement

Not much damage to either car. She wanted to call her husband, which she did, so I waited.

She explained to her husband that she wanted to turn right and do a U turn to get back onto the highway, but then she changed her mind. He shook his head, asked me which insurance company I was with (Shannons) but I answered that neither car had sufficient damage to warrant a claim. I would settle for $300. His car was $500-$700 (mainly paint) with easy on car panelbeating of the guard lip (after removing guard liner).

He said he would fix me up. He has my phone number (and other details). I didn't want his phone number. He will either ring or he won't. Daffy Duck is only a bush car so I'll remove the rear guard and "panelbeat" it with a rubber mallet on a nice grassy patch of ground. I have some of the yellow paint left to touch up any bits I think are neccessary. The main thing is the transfers are basically intact, they would have been the expensive thing to change.

Its been a long time since I have been caught out like this, and what makes me mad with myself is that I had the other drivers personality picked to a T as soon as she started to drive though the lights. Out of left field...

John

1000+ Posts

I like your attitude. No point in spitting the dummy.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Fellow Frogger

That's no good John. You can sometimes see a disaster likely to happen nearby and just need to keep well clear.

A kind gesture I guess, but don't ever underestimate the cost of what seems like just minor damage. I had a little bingle in the former Xantia (now deceased) where someone backed into it in traffic. Minor damage to the front guard, but not really easy to repair because of the way it kinked. Nearly $2K to repair via insurance, which was crazy for what it was. The other guy initially said he'd not bother claiming his bumper to save his excess etc. and I was going to get him to pay a couple of hundred for a used guard the same colour. For some reason, he changed his mind without bothering to tell me and then submitted a claim, so I got the insurer to pay me instead. A case of being too kind I think. Don't be too surprised if they submit a claim when they realise what it will cost to fix their car. If it's a recent car and the paint is pearlescent, then to fix it properly, it will need a whole side respray.

1000+ Posts

Tiny dent and passanger side door and mirror glas only = $1600.- (metallic), but a perfect paint match
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

JBN

I used to get front guards repaired for my daughter's Lancer. Walked up to the panel shop, got them to order a new guard, paint it in silver matching the paint code and then pick it up when ready. Took off the old and replaced with the new. Paint matching wasn't much of a problem as it was a hail damaged write-off, so near enough was good enough. Typical price was $500 ($300 guard, $200 paint)

Mine didn't look so bad today. I'll polish it first to remove paint marks from the other car and then see what I am left with. If I had hit a tree or slid into a rock or bank on a Raid and done the same damage, I would have laughed, checked that the wheel had free movement and continued on.

John

1000+ Posts

My grandson opened the back door of the 306 onto the front guard of a friend's car, resulting in a Vee shaped dent about 4 or 5mm deep, with some green paint on it. The bodyworks quote was in the region of $1100. We tracked down a dent remover who got the dent out for $110.00 and now you would know it had happened, other than my wallet being a little lighter. Now I put the child-proof lock on when he's in the car.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

JBN

I am a great fan of Paintless Dent Removal. Teaching daughter #2 to drive using daughter #1's car resulted in a slight ding. A couple of hundred bucks and daughter #1 was never the wiser.

I also challenged him with a slight dent on my Charleston/Dolly 2CV. The boot lid fell down (my fauly as I didn't use the stay to support it) and it hit something pointy that put a pimple in the bootlid. He said it was difficult as the bootlid is dead flat and the metal is paperthin, but I was happy with the results ($100). I was also fascinated watching him at his art. I would have paid $20 just to see how he operated.

Unfortunately, the ding on the other car is beyond the PDR guys. Probably about 300mm long and 50mm wide on the lip of the fender, at the top, where it should be flat. The curve of the fender is fine. If I was doing a quick and nasty on one of my cars, I would just fill it.

John

Thread Information