Never lend your car to your family!
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Never lend your car to your family!

Living and working near the city I haven't really needed a car for the past year, so when the lease was up on my old man's car I offered him mine to use until he got something else sorted. I even had it serviced for him before I gave it to him. That was 4 months ago... When I got in my car today to 'borrow' it back for the weekend I discovered:

- The odometer doesn't work;
    - The electric windows don't work;
    - It pisses coolant everywhere; and
    - Something's been rested on the roof and scratched the living sh1te out of the paint.

I mean FFS! Never lend family members your car!

Rant over... for now.

Advertisement

The only thing worse than your family is your GF, mine accuses me of driving like a rally driver. Borrows the car for a week and racks up 3 speeding fines. Great

Happiness is having a large, close knit family who all live in another city.
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

WLB

About 35 years ago I lent a girlfriend my GS while I was away for several months. When I got back it was at the mechanics getting a few problems sorted out. It had been through a flooded road. It was my fault of course.

About a year earlier she had asked what the small lever was between the seats. I explained that it controlled the suspension height. She asked why you would need to do that and I explained that it was useful when changing a wheel, negotiating a patch of rough ground, or perhaps driving through a flooded area.

Anyway, a year later, the only thing she remembered was "it can drive through floods".

My parents swapped cars this week. Dad took mums car (because it has a tow bar) to go away for the week and work on my sisters house. Despite both being exactly the same model of Ford Focus (one base hatch, the other a Ghia sedan), they both lightly pranged each others cars.

Mum hit the mirror on the house backing down the driveway, 'because it must be wider than her car' dis-lodging the indicator, cracking the plastic, and now the indicator won't stay in (the mirror is fine though), and Dad didn't do anything to mums car, although mysteriously when he returned the rear tail light now has a big crack right through it, and the paint on the bumper is all cracked under the clear-coat indicating something's hit it hard.

When I was a young fellah, my first car was a Dauphine, I was in the Navy at the time. Much to my disgust my brother-in-law borrowed it without my knowledge. He pulled straight out into the traffic and was collected all down the right hand side, to get out of the way he pulled over to the other side of the road and was again collected this time all down the left hand side......RIP the Dauphine.

I always know when my missus has borrowed my car, because the interior is full of crap!
    Used tissues, sales catalogues, reciepts, etc...
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Fellow Frogger!

Turns out the coolant leak was a dodgy radiator, so can't really blame the old man for that. The windows on the other hand, no idea what the problem is there...

Quote Originally Posted by trihardthlete View Post
    The only thing worse than your family is your GF, mine accuses me of driving like a rally driver. Borrows the car for a week and racks up 3 speeding fines. Great
    Is that what you tell Vic Police when you get your fines in the mail? Like your thinking though. Why put the points on your license when they could go on hers?

In all seriousness though, have you tried driving a 6 slowly? I swear it isn't possible!

Well the loss of 3 demerit points on Sunday just goes to prove your point Stu.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by trihardthlete View Post
    Well the loss of 3 demerit points on Sunday just goes to prove your point Stu.
    That's a bugger mate! Were you actually pulled over, or are you gonna offload the points?

Default Never lend your car to your family!

Lent my dad my Forester one day so he could tow his trailer (his Mazda 121 wouldn't cut it ).

Playing around like he does, he had put it into low range cause he thought that's what he needed to get up a hill.

When taking it out, he hasn't pulled it back into high range, leaving the lever in the neutral position. Oops, no gears.

Half hour later he calls RAC then calls me to tell me the gearbox has gone and its being towed.

5mins later I was at his location, sat in the car, looked around and boom! Fixed! Haha.

I always drove after that .

Finally got the steering right and car running the way it's supposed too. So decided to give it a little nudge in the freeway driving to work at 5 am. Got pulled over within 800mts of planting it. All good copper was a nice fella. But your right, when they're running well its hard not to floor it.

1000+ Posts

It cuts the other way too...

I borrowed me mates' landcruiser ute. I note some fluid on the driveway that mysteriously disappears overnight. Hmm, says I.

Check the radiator and it's rooted. I get a new one an pop it in. It was a longish loan of the truck and I figure its a fraction the cost of hiring same.

Then the mirrors fall off and I take on the tast of refitting them so they won't fall off again. Not straight forward but another job done.

Then the timing belt, battery and oil warning lights start flickering on. Onto the Landcruiser forums and get some clues where it might have all gone wrong. Loose terminal on the alternator easy fix - if, and only if, you know what you're looking for.

What goes around comes around, family and friends are like that.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Thread Information