Phone scam
  • Help

Thread: Phone scam

1000+ Posts

Default Phone scam

This has probably already been mentioned before, but here goes anyway. Early last week i was awakened from my slumber at the ungodly hour of 9 am (currently being a gentleman of leisure) by the sound of an incoming message on my mobile phone, i was informed that my mobile number had won for me the sum of $2.000.000.dollars USD in the freelotto mobile number promo, all i had to do was email mobilefreeprize@live.com, without thinking i just deleted the message later it dawned on me i could have some fun stringing them along

Advertisement
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Don't even give them your e-mail address. I used to work in a bank, and sit next to the fraud guys. I frequently heard one side of a very unfortunate conversation. It's amazing how many people had 'suspicions' something wasn't right, and ended up with a key logger virus on their computer.

Their advice was always just delete any spam e-mails immediately, and don't respond to any phone calls, or SMS's asking for information. They may have some information about you (for example name address, and phone number), and just need another thing like Date of Birth to try and ring your bank to get your internet password re-set then transfer money out of your bank account.

A lot of fraud still happens the good old fashioned way, with the crook talking to someone. They just keep getting little bits of information, and eventually have enough to do what they want. We did have one instance where someone had set up duplicate statements (you can request more than one statement be issued), which were going out for months, before the crook applied for loans and bank accounts elsewhere.

It's just not worth it getting involved.

1000+ Posts

I received another SMS this morning this time they informed me that i had won 1.000.000 pounds. To collect my latest wind fall all i had to do was SMS my details to them . i wonder how many people actually fall for these scams
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

WLB

I remember the first Nigerian scam back in the early '80s. I was driving to work in Preston (Melb), listening to Michael Schilberger on 3LO. He had the morning slot. Max Kirwan rang in to say that he'd received a strange letter from Nigeria suggesting that he could make quite a bit of money by assisting with a bank transfer. Kirwan had a Mazda dealership just up Bell St a few hundred metres from where I worked. They wanted to phone him and discuss the details. Schilberger agreed to listen in when the call came through. I didn't hear following program when they took the call, and I can't remember what happened after that.

Anyway, some of them have reverted to the old fashioned original techniques as people become more resistant to e-mail scams. I've received several of these in the last couple of years.

Phone scam-nigerian-1a.jpg Phone scam-nigerian-2a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 27of85 View Post
    I received another SMS this morning this time they informed me that i had won 1.000.000 pounds. To collect my latest wind fall all i had to do was SMS my details to them . i wonder how many people actually fall for these scams
    People must fall for it otherwise they wouldn't keep trying. Every morning when I turn the computer on I've won a few mill or inherited a wind fall or something like that.

Must admit they nearly got me once, about 2 months ago when my mother was killed I got an email about a week later when I was feeling very vunerable and confused about money I just inherited. I deleted it when I thought about it and realised we hadn't contacted mums solicitor yet so how could he be emailing me. Plus the fact that a solictor will always send a letter first not email.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Default Another Spanish styled Nigerian Bank Scam!

My brother received this version just days after he was granted full guardianship of our ill father.

The message is the same, only the names of the crooks have changed!

As David mentioned, there must be enough gullible, greedy people out there believing you can get something for nothing to fall into these traps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phone scam-romald-abogados.jpg  
    405 Mi16 2.2 litre race car up for sale soon. For details contact me on 0438 106 430.

Lap times- Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205 Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Fellow Frogger!

I recieved the 1 mill free lotto text the other day they must understand a bit of aussie speek as i texted back and told them to get r--ted and ive heard no more.
    Cheers Peter.

Received the "Cash refund from ATO" email the other day.
    Tip-off was that it came to an email address that ATO wouldn't have been aware of.
    When you go to ATO site they list quite a few versions of this scam and others.
    For a long time now I have read all my email through the Bigpond site, ie nothing downloaded to my computer.
    Its slow and sometimes annoying but at least its safe.

Paul

Thread Information