Bumper tart up
  • Help

Thread: Bumper tart up

Default Bumper tart up

I wish to rejuvenate the black plastic protection trim on my Mi16. There is some advice around here on appropriate products in this forum but my navigation skills have been found wanting. Any clues please. I have scrubbed with meths and washing up fluid so far to get to a good base. Toothpaste could be next!

Advertisement
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Hi, I have chatted with Pierre from "CarCareProducts" about this.

He is a big fan of the Nanolex treatment, putting it ahead of both Black Wow and Forever Black in ease of use and durability (he sells both these, and others). However you could buy the larger quantity overseas, if you planned to use a lot - his price for 30ml would land 100ml from the UK.

Check out this discussion. It may also help:-

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...er+restoration

Fellow Frogger!

A proceedure used by many car detailers is to use a heat gun to restore the original appearance. Have used the method, was surprised that it worked, but care has to be taken.

Suggest that you try an industrial type heat gun (paint stripper?) on a large area expendable piece of plastic for practice, as the temperature, heat soak, rate of travel are all critical and need practice, and care has to be taken not to allow the heat to damage other parts near the area being treated. One mate cracked a trafficator lens by not covering it.

Other problems are if any lotions, potions, liniments or condiments have already been applied then any sort of a mess may result.

Grab an old bumper piece from a wrecker and give it a go!

Regards,

fento

i agree with fento, a heat gun can work well depending on how far gone the bumper is, but care must be taken.

there are any number of methods of rejuvenating the bumper finish -- i've even heard of peanut butter being used -- but most of the home-made remedies are messy.

as for dye vs. paint, IMHO it depends (again) on how far gone the bumper is to start with, paint being the more extreme solution. here in the US, we have a company called SEM that makes a wide variety of flexible coatings for automotive and aerospace use, on their website it says they have a dealer in sydney. they make paints as well as primers. their products get consistently good reviews from the auto forum crowd...

andré
    1986 Peugeot 505 GL (xn6, 4sp auto)

They are here; $22/can over the counter for their vinyl spray. Unforchanitly our OP is in Tasmania, so would probably have to pay his local extortionist a good deal more.

Thread Information