NSW new RTA rules
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Default NSW new RTA rules

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads...rules_2012.pdf

There some new rules to add confusion to things like roundabouts.

This ones a pearl..
    When exiting a roundabout, whether turning left, right or even straight ahead, drivers must always indicate a left turn just before exiting, unless it is not practical to do so.
    How many of you turn straight ahead....

Advertisement

And when exiting a roundabout, how does one turn any direction but left.
    If you turn right when exiting a roundabout you are not exiting a roundabout.

Jo

i thought this was rule ages ago, i sometimes did it anyway, but noticed people stopped after a few weeks.

Picked up a phone cradle for my iphone 4 as well today, i actually quite like it, not bad at all! makes navigating so much easier
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

VIP Sponsor

Turning overall. Notice it mentions indicating a left turn in all cases.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads...rules_2012.pdf

There some new rules to add confusion to things like roundabouts.

This ones a pearl..

And when exiting a roundabout, how does one turn any direction but left.
    If you turn right when exiting a roundabout you are not exiting a roundabout.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Turning overall. Notice it mentions indicating a left turn in all cases.
    Graham
    Yes, I know what it means. Its very poorly written though.
    Maybe its translated from Armenian.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

As recently as last week I had an argument with a taxi driver who insisted that a RIGHT signal was required on leaving a roundabout !

I witness this often too when driving, and of course there are the lazy twits who don't cancel their R / H signal as they exit after making a right turn.

On a local radio talk back programme a Dorrigo man declared that the left turn signal requirement was a stupid bureaucratic imposition & no way would he comply.

Well maybe he had a point ? Indicators are only there to confirm what the driving just did, even when the opposite of what happened !!!

Cheers in chaos,

Richard

Jo
    I find that on almost all roundabouts you have to turn left; right; left even to go straight ahead, unless I'm in the 4wd in which case I sometimes just go straight over the top!
    KB

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I find that on almost all roundabouts you have to turn left; right; left even to go straight ahead, unless I'm in the 4wd in which case I sometimes just go straight over the top!
    Or if a gentle dome roundabout and in a DS you just go over the top too.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Or if a gentle dome roundabout and in a DS you just go over the top too.
    I was once an overabout driver, but now I like to take them at high speed and follow their path.
    It gives me a smug feeling that i can, and the commodore behind cant.
    It takes balls to steer towards the gutter at speed, and you want to know the handling characteristics of your car and its tyres.
    Same as when I'm following a very fast speeding driver through the race track (which always seems to happen). I Like to maintain the same speed as them but not use the whole road.

Jo

It gives me a smug feeling that i can, and the commodore behind cant.

I do it in my bommodore all the time. only because i dont give a f***
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

It makes sense on a large roundabout to indicate when exiting but on some of those mini ones it makes no sense .This is another rule us Victorians need to remember when in NSW,like not being able to do u turns at traffic lights.

I dont understand why you feel that way, julian.

To me its polite to indicate to the person sitting there giving way to you that you are turning off before them and therfore they may proceed.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    ...If you turn right when exiting a roundabout you are not exiting a roundabout.
    Well, at least not in the official manner!

Fellow Frogger!

I dont understand why you feel that way, julian.

To me its polite to indicate to the person sitting there giving way to you that you are turning off before them and therfore they may proceed.
    Jo
    I guess because on small standard roundabouts it is easy to see and keep track of where anyone has entered from (and therefore where they are likely to exit, based on them indicating left, right, or not at all). And the distance between any two exits is so small that indicating left may give very little advanced warning anyway.

However, I'm fairly sure the law here in Victoria is similar, and a small roundabout might just qualify as a situation where "it is not practical to do so".
    '96 Peugeot 405 SRDT Station Wagon

'71 Peugeot 504 GL - gone

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

This is one is interesting.
    Visual display units in motor vehicles
    A visual display unit (including a mobile phone), which is being used as a driverís aid function, such as a GPS, may only be used in a motor vehicle if it is secured in a fixed mounting. This mounting must be commercially designed and manufactured for this purpose. It must be positioned in the vehicle to not distract or obscure the driverís view.
    So if you make up your own in car PC system and install it into your dash do you have to make two of them, sell one to a mate and keep the receipt???

Or do they mean you must use a piece of plastic crap made in china costing 50c to manufacture and sold at tandy for $20???
    As far as I know, ADRs dont cover mobile phone holders.

These days in the after market scene, the lines are bluring between led screens/VDU's and dash gauges.
    I would think the whole point of certain dash gauges (VDU or whatever) is to distract the driver....A low oil pressure or high coolant temp warning would be one such function which may well be part of a VDU.

Jo

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

so does this mean that placing a GPS anywhere on the windscreen is now illegal ??
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    so does this mean that placing a GPS anywhere on the windscreen is now illegal ??
    Why would it mean that?

It certainly doesn't say that.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

You would have to assume the answer is yes, it is illegal to mount it so that it obscures the drivers view.
    Even a commercially designed and manufactured sun visor mounted VDU as seen on some 4x4's could be seen as a distraction in spite of the fact that the visor's obstruction of veiw is already covered by ADR's.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Why would it mean that?

It certainly doesn't say that.
    how do you interperet this, SLC ??

It must be positioned in the vehicle to not distract or obscure the driver’s view.
    Jo

I interpret it as deliberately "fuzzy" so as to delight the courts.

If they were not allowed on the windscreen, the rule would be "Must not be placed on the windscreen".
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

UFO

Strange that the "new" rules do not mention anything about the placing of collections of furry animal dolls, boxes of tissues and sundry other crap on the dashboard, nor do they mention anything about hanging your collection of cheap "bought at the markets" iconography from the rear view mirror.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

In the Army, its left,left,left right left, unless a 500 tone tank decides has other idea's.with a big gun pointing at you, then it becomes reverce reverce reverce, run for your life.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by scarfjoin View Post
    In the Army, its left,left,left right left, unless a 500 tone tank decides has other idea's.with a big gun pointing at you, then it becomes reverce reverce reverce, run for your life.
    Yes, but that is only to pander to the walking wounded. There are possibly some dance steps that follow a similar pattern. Most other people still do the left right left right thing unless they are pissed.

Getting back to the original change in road rules, they don't affect me at all as they are covered by my simple three rules;
    1. Who dares wins
    2. No prizes for second
    3. Don't get caught

The first one is great for roundabouts. The last one applies to all these laws. If there are no cops about, its all hypothetical. They haven't as yet go an electronic mechanism to automatically administer these laws.

Having slugged the motorists for years using speed cameras and plugging the SPEED KILLS message for marginal drops in road trauma rates, they have now ended up with bored, disinterested and distracted drivers that end up doing all sorts of stupid things. Being politicians, they realise there is a problem even if they don't know what it is, so they throw more threats (laws) at the motorist in the hope that something will change.

Try abolishing speed limits. Just make it open slather. I bet all those drivers on valium will ditch the phones and other distractions and actually drive, and look out for other vehicles and consciously start to make life or death decisions. There will be a messy adjustment period that will remove a lot of drivers that should never have been given a licence in the first place...but hey, shit happens.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    ....Being politicians, they realise there is a problem even if they don't know what it is, so they throw more threats (laws) at the motorist in the hope that something will change.

John
    from the RTA's own website...

How prevalent are mobile phones as a cause of crashes and fatalities on our road?
    The truth is we don’t know exactly. While we have some statistics, the fact is they rely on people to self-report that they were using a phone at the time of a crash, which is not in their best interests legally. This means the involvement of mobile phone use in causing crashes is severely underreported. You only need to drive on any road in Australia to regularly see people on their phones while driving, which is dangerous to themselves and other road users.

How prevalent are mobile phones as a cause of crashes and fatalities on our road?
    The truth is we don’t know exactly. While we have some statistics, the fact is they rely on people to self-report that they were using a phone at the time of a crash, which is not in their best interests legally. This means the involvement of mobile phone use in causing crashes is severely underreported. You only need to drive on any road in Australia to regularly see people on their phones while driving, which is dangerous to themselves and other road users...
    In the case of fatal traffic accident, Police would get the data from the phone company, not hard to figure out if the phone was in use at the time of the accident and what type of phone facilities were in the car eg bluetooth, Obviously RTA are not investigators.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post
    However, I'm fairly sure the law here in Victoria is similar, and a small roundabout might just qualify as a situation where "it is not practical to do so".
    Agree, and it makes sense to indicate especially on roundabouts with at least two lanes
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information