Compact "French" car for 20k$ with a wide dealer network.
  • Help

Default Compact "French" car for 20k$ with a wide dealer network.

Built on the Renault-Nissan V platform and assembled in Thailand you can now get a Nissan Pulsar for around 20$K.
    If you want to move around the world you can find it called a Tilda, Sentra or Sylphy and in India, a Renault. Australia gets the Thai built version but it also is available from factories in China, Mexico and the US.
    This partnership of Renault contributes the major part of their profit.
    French ????????

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Definitely not.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Will be interesting to see how the new model turns out. But the Tiida is regarded as the bottom of the class, and the last two generations of Pulsar weren't much chop either. Although they were highly popular amongst retired women, I think everyone I know with an N16 Pulsar is a retired female. They were utterly boring reliable, economical cars that would have appealed to that demographic. About as opposite to a French car as you can get. I wonder what an amalgamation of the two will bring?

see
    http://blog.alliance-renault-nissan....mindset-change
    The overwhelming majority of "French" cars are utterly boring, fairly reliable and very economical and about half of them are chosen by women. See the model breakdown in France that I have referred to in other postings. The product strategy forced on Renault and PSA by the European economic situation is a divergent one in which the majority of sales will come from even more economical, boring and reliable low cost, no frills vehicles and at the other extreme modestly sized luxury trimmed cars, some with performance on which they hope to make sustainable profits.
    Australian importers have always cherry picked the more exciting French cars because the market is only just downsizing, they have not had the dealer network to mass market and they haven't had the price structure to tackle the Asians head on from French production. You don't see the supermarket parking lots filled with 207, Twingos, Clios and C3's all with small engines and irrelevant acceleration figures as they rarely get to 100kms/hour. Within France you cannot advertise car performance but must state pollution and consumption figures. As "French" production picks up in Asia you may well have access to these low frills cars at sensible prices.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    Will be interesting to see how the new model turns out. But the Tiida is regarded as the bottom of the class, and the last two generations of Pulsar weren't much chop either. Although they were highly popular amongst retired women, I think everyone I know with an N16 Pulsar is a retired female. They were utterly boring reliable, economical cars that would have appealed to that demographic. About as opposite to a French car as you can get. I wonder what an amalgamation of the two will bring?
    To be fair, the Tiida's are built to a low price (wind up back windows on a 2007 car!) and don't have the same level of fit and finish as say a Corolla - let alone a 308 (my Parent's have a Series 1 Tiida), but they drive better than some other "new" cars, they have heaps of room inside and they are reliable. Wouldn't buy one in a pink fit but can understand why those that think a car is an appliance would.

I think Nissan have increased the "fruit" available in all the Tiida's now - but left it too late and the reputation has stuck.

Having said that - if the new Pulsar is as good as a N13 or N14 Pulsar, they'll go gangbusters.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by 2353 View Post
    To be fair, the Tiida's are built to a low price (wind up back windows on a 2007 car!) and don't have the same level of fit and finish as say a Corolla - let alone a 308 (my Parent's have a Series 1 Tiida), but they drive better than some other "new" cars, they have heaps of room inside and they are reliable. Wouldn't buy one in a pink fit but can understand why those that think a car is an appliance would.

I think Nissan have increased the "fruit" available in all the Tiida's now - but left it too late and the reputation has stuck.

Having said that - if the new Pulsar is as good as a N13 or N14 Pulsar, they'll go gangbusters.
    Most buyers are puchasing an appliance. In France we still have Moulinex but their products are made in China!

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    Most buyers are puchasing an appliance. In France we still have Moulinex but their products are made in China!
    And Moulinex probably comes out of the same factory as Sunbeam
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Yes, the Tiida was built to a price. For those people that want a reliable, economical car, it's excellent value. It's a car I recommend people look at when they're looking at a Corolla. But I can't see myself ever buying one.

Between my two sisters, they've had 6 Pulsars and one Sigma. The Pulsars have spanned across every single model except the N13 and N15. One has an N14 Pulsar, the other an N15. The N14 is amazing. Despite being 20 years old, the design doesn't seem so, and the car has clocked up over 320,000k's still on the original clutch and mechanicals. I'd rank it up in the top 5 cars that have suprised me the most when I drove it. I had it for 3 months last year, and was surprised by the power, and reasonable comfort on long distances.

If Renault/Nissan can get Renault handling and driveability (along with a small dose of French quirkiness) and Nissan reliability and reputation into their cars, then get that message out to consumers, they should be onto a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    If Renault/Nissan can get Renault handling and driveability (along with a small dose of French quirkiness) and Nissan reliability and reputation into their cars, then get that message out to consumers, they should be onto a winner.
    They did that with the big bummed Meganes. Europe noticed, and bought plenty. Australia didn't get a look in, as the distributors did very little to promote it.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    They did that with the big bummed Meganes. Europe noticed, and bought plenty. Australia didn't get a look in, as the distributors did very little to promote it.

Dave
    Probably wise, as it had a poor quality reputation which gave rise to an agressive management policy to improve quality in certain assembly plants. According to Renault statistics has paid off.

Thread Information