Cigarettes at Bathurst Coverage
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Cigarettes at Bathurst Coverage

Please point me in the right direction if this has already been discussed.

Advertisement

I was appalled last weekend to see that Ch 7 had taken it upon themselves to remove any cigarette advertising from the side of cars in old footage. Surely this is part of history which, although sad, shouldn't be tampered with? To me, it's a bit like going down to the local library and ripping out the pages of texts that you don't like. I need to write a letter this week. Did I miss something passed in parliament?

Your thoughts?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Please point me in the right direction if this has already been discussed.

I was appalled last weekend to see that Ch 7 had taken it upon themselves to remove any cigarette advertising from the side of cars in old footage. Surely this is part of history which, although sad, shouldn't be tampered with? To me, it's a bit like going down to the local library and ripping out the pages of texts that you don't like. I need to write a letter this week. Did I miss something passed in parliament?

Your thoughts?
    I noticed that too.although it was skillfuly done it was a bit OTT I thought.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Your thoughts?
    Wish I had a Wintermans.

I believe they're doing the same with the rebroadcasts of the NSWRL Plain-Packaging Cup from the 80s.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Wish I had a Wintermans.
    Pop around and we'll have a puff.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Whilst Section 13 of the Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act 1992 prohibits broadcasting of tobacco advertising. Section 14 appears to permit it in this instance.

The way I read S14 of the Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act 1992, the broadcast of historical event is "incidental" and no profit was made from the advertising, they could have left the signage.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/tapa1992314/s13.html

TOBACCO ADVERTISING PROHIBITION ACT 1992 - SECT 13

Tobacco advertisements not to be broadcast (1) A person must not broadcast a tobacco advertisement in Australia or Norfolk Island on or after 1 July 1993 otherwise than as permitted by section 14.
    Penalty: 120 penalty units.
    Note: A defendant bears an evidential burden in relation to the matters in section 14: see subsection 13.3(3) of the Criminal Code .
    (2) This section has effect subject to section 26A.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/c...92314/s14.html

TOBACCO ADVERTISING PROHIBITION ACT 1992 - SECT 14

Accidental or incidental broadcast permitted A person may broadcast a tobacco advertisement if:
    (a) the person broadcasts the advertisement as an accidental or incidental accompaniment to the broadcasting of other matter; and
    (b) the person does not receive any direct or indirect benefit (whether financial or not) for broadcasting the advertisement (in addition to any direct or indirect benefit that the person receives for broadcasting the other matter).

I assume they have chosen the "politically correct" road

I remember years ago I was involved in the Tour of Canberra, an event that allowed up to 100 race cars to drive thru the ACT on a saturday and partake in a sprint on Lake burley Griffen on the sunday. On one occasion I had the Peter Jackson Falcons on show, we covered the PJ sign writing to keep the then ACT Sports Minister (a reformed smoker) on side. On the monday after the event I received a 'phone call from the minister's office informing me that they were going to fine me for displaying tobacco advertising. I informed the office that the offending signage was covered, their response was that didn't matter the colour scheme of the cars still represented the tobacco manufacturer. When I asked them if I needed ministerial approval of the colour scheme of any car I wished to purchase, in the case it might carry the same colours as a cigarette brand they decide that to prosecute was going to be too difficult. Future events never occurred as to much hassle.

By the way I'm a non smoker, never have been. Couldn't see any good reason to waste good drinking money.

Mick

I agree Peter, it's history, and it shouldn't be altered.
    If someone is a smoker or not has nothing to do with what we are talking about.
    For the record, I am a non smoker.

Yep, I agree, it's altering history!
    I've noticed that some manufacturers of die-cast model cars are now sell their wares with a blank space where the tobacco advertising would normally be.
    The same goes for model kit manufacturers, the picture on the box is blank where the tobacco advert would be, although you still get the option of appling the decals once the kit is built.
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

I don't smoke either, never have, I was pulling addo's chain. As said, it's the principle of altering history.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

And Addo was pulling yours, he also is a non smoker.

UFO

No doubt Ch7 was covering their butt just in case, but to me, anything that prevents people receiving a message about smoking a damn good thing. Well done 7!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    No doubt Ch7 was covering their butt just in case, but to me, anything that prevents people receiving a message about smoking a damn good thing. Well done 7!
    IS this the same channel that flogs gambling services like sports bet???

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    IS this the same channel that flogs gambling services like sports bet???

Jo
    Jo, the difference is that flogging gambling services on TV is legal (in 2012), flogging nicotine sticks and associated products isn't. IF 7 "electronically" removed long gone sponsors names to comply with current day regulation - well done (although it's probable that the in-house lawyer determined the action was a better use of the money than defending the legal action when someone complained).
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Situational ethics?

Otherwise known as politics

Another insidious politically correct instance of re-writing history. Cigarette advertising never happened, see?

I seem to remember a famous beverage actually contained some cocaine in the past, but it's livery on racing cars does not have to be removed. That's fair!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I must ask them to also remove all swastikas from any footage of German WWII aircraft.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Dont play with fire...You'd probably gain some traction from certain cultural groups with that idea.

Jo

Couldn't they just photoshop in Mickey Mouse's head?

If they'd left them in place, nobody would ever have been able to escape the suspicion that those wonderful humanitarians in the tobacco industry weren't (at the very least) rubbing their hands with glee, and at worst, working on ways to do it again, bigger and better.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ťre grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

I note Tony Greig now has lung cancer. Was it he or Doug Walters, who endorsed cigarettes during '70s cricket on TV?

Fellow Frogger!
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

JBN

I didn't watch the Channel 7 telecast as I not want to be subject to footage of old cars sporting cigarette advertising. I used to go to Mt Panorama races in my younger days and I also used to smoke. Then I gave up smoking and also gave up going to Mt Panorama.

I am also going to ask the commercial channels to refrain from showing footage of sexy girls because it upsets my senile impotence.

And, they should ban game shows and quizzes because my early onset Alzheimers gets me all confused.

Heck, they only thing I can still do is shoot. However, when I applied for a visa to visit Vietnam and under "Reason for visit" I wrote "To shoot the locals", they declined to issue me with a visa!

The World keeps changing, the laws keep changing but the judges still maintain that the law is sacrosanct.

John

JBN, good point. You are a brave man to publicly announce your senile impotence, I'm impressed and amazed.....

I dont mind smokers at all.
    If you enjoy it, do it.

I will wait for you.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information