Word dissociation
  • Help

Default Word dissociation

I was translating for a member of our local car club a specification for an inlet manifold for a Jaguar racing engine. The part was in the US and the spec. referred to a non-reversing ratchet. To me a ratchet is a gear with an asymmetric spring loaded pawl that only allows the gear to turn one way. What has that got to do with inlet manifolds? I translated that as 'cliquet' which is the French for my kind of ratchet and my friend was equally baffled.
    So I searched the Net and found a US pump company that referred to a non return valve on their pump outlet, that preserved the prime when the pump stopped, as a non-reversing ratchet. It was the the ball and spring variety.
    To me that is in French a "clapet", which my friend understood and we concluded that it was a non return valve in the manifold to prevent blowback as these highly tuned engines can do on the overrun.

Is this usage peculiarly American or have I missed out on by identifying the part as a non-return valve?

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

An engineering drawing of the exploded variety would probably remove all doubt, although probably not forthcoming....
    I've never heard the term used in conjunction with manifolds of any kind, but that doesn't count for much.....

Was the part listed on this page, Gerry?: http://www.v12sales.com/Jag-Engine.html#pic
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Yes, that is it.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Thread Information