Late '90s Blinker Switch Repair - Peugeot & Citroen
  • Help

Default Late '90s Blinker Switch Repair - Peugeot & Citroen

In another thread I linked to an external website where the author has success in "repairing" a blinker switch by unclipping the case and cleaning out metal swarf.

Today I stared down a Jaeger switch (perhaps the same as some Renault) from the later '90s, with poor contact on the blinker functions. This discussion assumes a modest degree of ability, commonsense and a tidy environment.

After removal from the car, unclipping the top cap (furthest from the connectors) I was able to see the bullet shaped moving contact and the tracks it is designed to bridge when operating the blinkers. Two things had occurred - the "bullet" showed appreciably worn grooves near its tip, and the tracks were similarly eaten away.

The long term answer is, there is no substitute for replacement other than the "BMW driver" option.

The shorter term fix is to reprofile the moving contact, removing it's wear grooves and shortening the tip to accommodate. I stretched it's pressure spring slightly to make up for these adjustments. New grease applied lightly to the contact tracks (APX-T in my case, because it was handy) and reassembly followed by testing, indicated success.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

I wonder if anything can be done to light switches? The dash lights on the 306 ST go off and back at will - most disconerting. Does affect the headlights or taillights, though
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Thread Information