203 Wagon Restoration - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: 203 Wagon Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    WOW! You have every right to puff out the chest, that's just beautiful..

You are a very lucky guy to have found such a solid example to use as a base and the car is very fortunate indeed to have been restored by someone who cared and was prepared to do 'whatever it takes' to complete what must been an enormous task.

Advertisement

No one but yourself would really know what it took to achieve that result, though some of us would have a clue.

Well done and now the real enjoyment begins. Happy motoring.

Thanks for the compliments. However, being naturally lazy I cannot compare with your speedy efforts and innovation in making parts. Mine have been largely confined to turning up or forming odd shaped fasteners (6mm Phillips head screws - no problems).

On reflection I can probably justify the whole process by the fact that the car was so good and original it would have been a crime not to save it. And being lazy I was attracted by the fact that it is a hell of lot easier to restore a complete and original car than an incomplete basket case.
    Dano likes this.

Well, it took some time but I am now on the road. Historic registration has been obtained and I am some way towards running in the new motor - at least I have been able to loosen it up after 60 miles.

The clutch problem was only resolved after pulling the motor twice. Needless to say I'm getting better at this process but not planning to make it a regular occurrence. The first time I attempted to rectify the problem by shimming the thrust. I was rewarded by disintegration of one lever spring. A word was had to someone who actually knows what they are doing (BGT Brake Services in Dandenong). The problem was instantly diagnosed as a too thick driven plate and associated lever adjustment. They supplied a suitable driven plate and made the necessary adjustment at not unreasonable cost. I cannot speak too highly of their knowledge and quick service. You would be mad to go anywhere else (as I found out the hard way).

The final annoying problems were the gear change and the speedo. I was intermittently locked out of overdrive until I realised that the nut on the end of the main gear change rod was not fully done up, allowing the lower thrust washer to jam between the spacers. The speedo was awakened from its 40 year slumber by careful oiling and application of a cordless drill to the drive socket.

After said 40 years I had forgotten how noisy a car of this era can be. Agricultural but at the same time refined. However, I am revelling again in the delightfully direct steering and tight turning circle which are probably the 203's best features.

Quote Originally Posted by Commerciale View Post
    Well, it took some time but I am now on the road. Historic registration has been obtained and I am some way towards running in the new motor - at least I have been able to loosen it up after 60 miles.

The clutch problem was only resolved after pulling the motor twice. Needless to say I'm getting better at this process but not planning to make it a regular occurrence. The first time I attempted to rectify the problem by shimming the thrust. I was rewarded by disintegration of one lever spring. A word was had to someone who actually knows what they are doing (BGT Brake Services in Dandenong). The problem was instantly diagnosed as a too thick driven plate and associated lever adjustment. They supplied a suitable driven plate and made the necessary adjustment at not unreasonable cost. I cannot speak too highly of their knowledge and quick service. You would be mad to go anywhere else (as I found out the hard way).

The final annoying problems were the gear change and the speedo. I was intermittently locked out of overdrive until I realised that the nut on the end of the main gear change rod was not fully done up, allowing the lower thrust washer to jam between the spacers. The speedo was awakened from its 40 year slumber by careful oiling and application of a cordless drill to the drive socket.

After said 40 years I had forgotten how noisy a car of this era can be. Agricultural but at the same time refined. However, I am revelling again in the delightfully direct steering and tight turning circle which are probably the 203's best features.
    Wow! Well done! Thats all I can say.

Fellow Frogger!

Wow. That must be a benchmark! Congratulations. Looks like a time-warp....pursuit of originality has certainly produced an outstanding result and provided inspiration to others. What does a brand new old peugeot 203 wagon smell like inside?

Tim

What a beautiful car. May you enjoy it for many, many years.

VIP Sponsor

Glad you took my advice re BGT.
    It shouldn't be that noisy, maybe check the ignition timing. It won't ping no matter far it is advanced but will run harshly if advanced too much.
    Don't set for maximum revs but advance to the point where the engine stops sounding strangled but before the revs rise noticeably.

That is just lovely. Congratulations on a wonderful job. It's so nice to have one in the country that is really original.

And yes, ebay France is definitely your friend.

I do admire the perseverance! Well worth the effort.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Glad you took my advice re BGT.
    It shouldn't be that noisy, maybe check the ignition timing. It won't ping no matter far it is advanced but will run harshly if advanced too much.
    Don't set for maximum revs but advance to the point where the engine stops sounding strangled but before the revs rise noticeably.
    The noise is not from engine harshness but largely from the exhaust. I fitted a genuine French exhaust system which has one transverse muffler. Being rather like an empty baked bean can the noise is transmitted through the wagon body. I think the problem could be alleviated by the fishtail which is fitted to the sedans but being a utility vehicle this has been eliminated in the wagon. Ah - the price of authenticity.

Regarding the smell, there is still a whiff of decaying casein plastic emanating from the light switch and gear lever surround. The rest is new vinyl and carpet.
    GreenBlood and JohnW like this.

Exactly the smell of my NOS steering wheel in the 1951 Renault 4CV if I leave it shut for a month. I never know whether to relish it (?) or keep the window open.

I think, apart from safety, power, better oil and air filtration and gimmics like AC, electric mirrors etc, the main improvement in cars has really been noise reduction. Our Renault R8 is great in most roles until you drive something newer! I've found the solution to that perception is to drive the old Renaults regularly. I still remember how terrible the 4CV felt when I first drove it, but now it feels sweet and smooth, driven within its comfortable limits. I expect your first drive would have been much the same.

I'll say it again, that is a lovely restoration!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

i worry about how long a decaying covir will last, in use - can't the new ones be made to look indistinguishable? for that matter could the silencer be unseam-ed and hot-dog guts applied?
    something discreetly intersposed between muffler and floor?
    i know;"original is just fine and best for posterity" and amenity vs authenticity is your call,
    but i like to think you could really enjoy what is a credit to you.
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 26th September 2015 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fnqvmuch View Post
    i worry about how long a decaying covir will last, in use - can't the new ones be made to look indistinguishable? for that matter could the silencer be unseam-ed and hot-dog guts applied?
    something discreetly intersposed between muffler and floor?
    i know;"original is just fine and best for posterity" and amenity vs authenticity is your call,
    but i like to think you could really enjoy what is a credit to you.
    I have the covir problem covered (boom tish) with one of the modern plastic reproductions from Finland. Whilst it can be painted to match I have such variety in internal plastics that the grey in which these come certainly does not look out of place.

Strong clarification needed here. I am not complaining about any part of the driving experience - only making an observation. If I were to have any complaint it would be toward those self appointed experts who always feel that they know better and modify that which came out of the factory. If they want to apply their theories to their own cars I would defend their right to do so - much like free speech in this free country. However I despair that the general opinion expressed on this forum seems to be that old Peugeots must be modified to be usable. Surely over 600,000 203 owners were able to use their cars from new. This rant is not directed to you or any other individual. Certainly no offence is intended - just my two cents worth. Nuff sed.

And yes, I am guilty of modification. The direct metal big end bearings were replaced with inserts on the basis of cost and convenience.
    Last edited by Commerciale; 27th September 2015 at 07:33 AM.
    Dano and friday403 like this.

VIP Sponsor

I agree, my stock 203 is great to drive, even has the original exhaust pipe up until the diff, the rear piece had to be replaced because it had worn through on the bends.

I have the covir problem covered (boom tish) with one of the modern plastic reproductions from Finland. Whilst it can be painted to match I have such variety in internal plastics that the grey in which these come certainly does not look out of place.

Strong clarification need here. I am not complaining about any part of the driving experience - only making an observation. If I were to have any complaint it would be toward those self appointed experts who always feel that they know better and modify that which came out of the factory. If they want to apply their theories to their own cars I would defend their right to do so - much like free speech in this free country. However I despair that the general opinion expressed on this forum seems to be that old Peugeots must be modified to be usable. Surely over 600,000 203 owners were able to use their cars from new. This rant is not directed to you or any other individual. Certainly no offence is intended - just my two cents worth. Nuff sed.

And yes, I am guilty of modification. The direct metal big end bearings were replaced with inserts on the basis of cost and convenience.

Probably about time this went to the completed projects forum. Now registered and 500 miles covered with little drama. Received Best Peugeot and Best French Car at the 2015 Telopea Park exhibit. Next public outing will be Wheels at old Parliament House on 15 May.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 203 Wagon Restoration-p1010710.jpg   203 Wagon Restoration-p1010711.jpg   203 Wagon Restoration-p1010712.jpg  

Icon6

Probably about time this went to the completed projects forum. Now registered and 500 miles covered with little drama. Received Best Peugeot and Best French Car at the 2015 Telopea Park exhibit. Next public outing will be Wheels at old Parliament House on 15 May.
    Congratulations on your well deserved wins

Now residing with our completed restorations. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Congrats. A beautiful result. I trust you are enjoying it!
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Congratulations!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

This has turned out a real beauty. Hope to catch up at a Peugeot gathering sometime.

Sent from my SM-T550 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Such a beautiful machine. Inspiring work as well.

Sent from my E6883 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information