Renault Floride body rebuild. - Page 5
  • Register
  • Help
Page 5 of 7 First 1234567 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Renault Floride body rebuild.

Tadpole

Hi Graham, as I am slowly in the process of restoring my wifes Caravelle I was interested in your under car shots. 1. the heating tube, did you source that locally or was sourced from a specilty supplier and 2. do you have a photo that show the gear lever mounting hole a little clearer as I fear that the one on our car has been badly butcherd. Unfortunatley I showed my wife your handy work and I have now been given the hurry up.
    Thanks
    Peter

Advertisement

Hi Peter,

The heater ducting was found on ebay..see below.

The pic of the gear lever below is the best I can do...hope it helps. Good luck with your Caravelle and let me know if you need me to email a parts manual for the R1133.

Heater ducting.
    I recently purchased some heater ducting for my Floride, I couldn't find any locally so I resorted to ebay and there it was and cheap as chips, a 3 meter length cost me $60.18 landed at my front door and took two weeks to arrive.

Visit store:Diesel Heaters&Spares

Please wait
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride body rebuild.-img_3244.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 30th September 2012 at 07:58 PM.

Default The hardtop part 3..the hood lining.

So I asked myself.."how hard could it be to do my own hood lining?"...Answer: "Tricky".

I had the wire bows and some thermal insulation and sourced some hood lining material from the United States which was a very close match.

Out came the sewing machine and some rod pockets sewn up for the bows

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride body rebuild.-031.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-035.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-044.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-046.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-049.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 9th October 2012 at 01:48 AM.

Default Continued...

The rear windscreen was marked before removal to aid re-installation.

The new hood lining was laid out and secured right around with contact adhesive and bulldog clips after stretching into place.

The lining was wrapped over the fin that holds the rear windscreen and glued up before re-installing the glass.

Getting the last few creases out is a challenge and requires patience and persistance..apparently.

Cost all up $56.00

To be continued...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride body rebuild.-038.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-002.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-008.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-014.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-016.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-019.jpg  

Last edited by 59 Floride; 9th October 2012 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    So I asked myself.."how hard could it be to do my own hood lining?"...Answer: "Tricky".
    You nailed it, that looks like a bought one.

Now with your new found skills how would you like to tackle the folding sunroof lining on my project?

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    You nailed it, that looks like a bought one.

Now with your new found skills how would you like to tackle the folding sunroof lining on my project?

Cheers
    Chris
    Ah that would be no...But I can hem your new jeans if you like.

I'm thinking seriously about making a new soft top for the Floride though. Just for the practice.

Ah that would be no...But I can hem your new jeans if you like.

I'm thinking seriously about making a new soft top for the Floride though. Just for the practice.
    Let's try again, that was the wrong answer, don't worry about the jeans I like that fuzzy worn I don't care look. I have the vinyl and the old lining as a template you know you want to do this. For the record the correct answer is "yes Chris, I'd be delighted".

OT/ I do know of a DS that is unofficially on the market PM if you have any interest.

Cheers
    Chris
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Default Hardtop final...

Finished...

I can understand why motor trimmers don't like doing hood linings...and I had the advantage of turning the roof upside down.

I managed to get most of the creases out and it looks fabulous, like a bought one as Greenblood would say. Maybe the remaining creases will shrink out over time or the Pixies might come and take them away.

This is a new lifting apparatus I have been working on because the hardtop is too heavy for a solo lift and damage to the paintwork is certain...so is shaggers back.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride body rebuild.-006.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-015.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-017.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-023.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-006.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 12th October 2012 at 07:37 PM.

Finished...

I can understand why motor trimmers don't like doing hood linings...and I had the advantage of turning the roof upside down.

I managed to get most of the creases out and it looks fabulous, like a bought one as Greenblood would say. Maybe the remaining creases will shrink out over time or the Pixies might come and take them away.

This is a new lifting apparatus I have been working on because the hardtop is too heavy for a solo lift and damage to the paintwork is certain...so is shaggers back.
    You possibly will get a little shrinkage over time to tighten things up, but I'd be happy to pay money for that as it is. Nicely done.

The lifting gizmo is a smart move too, if you add a slippery slide that launches you into the drivers seat you'd be set.

Cheers
    Chris
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

Hopefully those creases will disappear after it gets parked in the sun a few times. I have heard people recommend leaving the material in the sun before fitting a bit like windscreen rubbers.

KB
    KB

Haven't been slacking off just doing other things, here are some updates of recent work done on the Floride.

New extractors. http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...sign&highlight

Whitewall tyre experiment. http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...ious&highlight

Generator to alternator conversion. http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...sion&highlight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride body rebuild.-005.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-030.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-003.jpg  

Dontya just hate folk who make a first class job of everything??

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Graham,
    I've just gone back though this thread, it's just brilliant, and now the first sticky in the 'Restoration Forum'

A perfect demonstration of what can be achieved in a home workshop. So much information both specific to the Floride and general restoration techniques. A real credit to you and a real asset to the forum. Bravo!!

Cheers
    Chris
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Well done and put Chris, I second all the above.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet View Post
    Dontya just hate folk who make a first class job of everything??

Mike.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Graham,
    I've just gone back though this thread, it's just brilliant, and now the first sticky in the 'Restoration Forum'

A perfect demonstration of what can be achieved in a home workshop. So much information both specific to the Floride and general restoration techniques. A real credit to you and a real asset to the forum. Bravo!!

Cheers
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    Well done and put Chris, I second all the above.

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen I am glad others enjoy what I am doing as well, and since I've learned so much from the Aussiefrog fraternity it is only right that I document and share in my progress.

I still have other things to add to this thread though and as some would know, restoring an old car is always a work in progress .....always something to do.

I am also glad my thread has been elevated to the lofty heights of stickiness, what an accolade.

Thankyou Chris

Default Some soft furnishings..

I haven't added anything in a while so here's the new trunk interior, it's some carpet from bunnings and an old suitcase from an op-shop to house my tools, jack and spares...I just added the stickers.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride body rebuild.-029.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-030.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-035.jpg  

Hey 59 Floride, or should I say 10/60 Floride.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Shhhhh! it's our secret..

.... I'm all ears

Good work

Shhhhh! it's our secret..
    You may be older but all three of my Floride's are older.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

1000+ Posts

Why don't you sort Chris's sunroof, he's a good bloke!

and Citroens are better than Renaults, or they used to be...

You're right, he is a good bloke and we've had dialog behind the scenes re said sunroof...I figure I have a bit of time up my sleeve before his car's finished tho.

1000+ Posts

Good stuff!

Default Headlight booster kits..

For those with old cars who are interested, I have installed one of these headlight booster kits from ebay and found it to be of good quality and easy to fit. The kit cost AUD$27.65 delivered which is less than the individual cost of the components to make it up myself.

The lights are definitely crisper and more reliable as the old headlight sockets in my car were original and quite rusted, the bonus of course is the existing lighting circuit is carrying much less current as it is now only used to trigger the new relays which do all the work.

The only thing missing from the kit is an inline fuse...in my opinion it is unwise to have a cable running directly from the battery unfused, it is a potential fire hazard if something shorted out. In line fuse holders are easy to obtain and install too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180768073...84.m1497.l2649

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captureaaaaa.jpg 
Views:	949 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	37530
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 10th December 2012 at 10:38 AM.

on a couple of my cars, I installed New Era relays using existing wires. They have a two circuit all-in-one relay that has a fuse on each circuit inbuilt. You can buy them for around $30 from autoshops. On the R10 I have two - one for main beam, high beam headlights; and another for the two sets of driving lights. I'll try to dig up a photo.
    KB

Page 5 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Thread Information