• Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Renault Floride body rebuild.

Fellow Frogger!

Default where the fire breather?

Hey 59F,

Your Floride is looking unreal i must say - i wish my attention to detail was as good as yours.

One question though - where is the fire breather in the back? There is nothing more special than a Floride that way over powered.

Talk soon mate,

BR

Advertisement

It's been quite a few months since I've been able to get back to the Floride due to work commitments out of town but I am back at it.

The paint is all blocked back and looks pretty good for a first attempt but still work to do, shiny paint can reveal defects that weren't apparent at the beginning, so some touching up still to be done.

Next will be the completion of the hard top....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride body rebuild.-005.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-022.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-025.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-030.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-031.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-032.jpg  

Renault Floride body rebuild.-033.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 10th January 2017 at 03:53 PM.

Hard top is underway....

Renault Floride body rebuild.-img_3519.jpgRenault Floride body rebuild.-img_2448.jpg

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    It's been quite a few months since I've been able to get back to the Floride due to work commitments out of town but I am back at it.

The paint is all blocked back and looks pretty good for a first attempt but still work to do, shiny paint can reveal defects that weren't apparent at the beginning, so some touching up still to be done.
    ]
    It's 'cos you painted it. If your the painter all you can see is the flaws in the finish when you look at the car ........................ Others however rarely ( if ever ) notice them, even if you point them out

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    It's 'cos you painted it. If your the painter all you can see is the flaws in the finish when you look at the car ........................ Others however rarely ( if ever ) notice them, even if you point them out

seeya,
    Shane L.
    That's quite true Shane, most wouldn't even notice, but I'm a fussy bugger and must have too much time on my hands.....

*This carpark was washed away during the 2011 Queensland floods and was covered by 14 metres of floodwater...it has all been restored by the Brisbane City Council..top marks to them.*

Renault Floride body rebuild.-030.jpg
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 10th September 2012 at 11:13 AM.

Icon14

Looks bloody sensational in the pics Graham, if I achieve a finish close to that I'll be more than pleased. Hardtop is looking really nice too.

Good to see you back into it, and updating your progress

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Well done Graham, all you need know is a side draught for the 1397cc with some extractors and a sports exhausts(with no holes or it'll sound like mine).
    Perhaps speak to sunroof and see if you can source some white walls, they would really sit well on the original wheels and finish the look off.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    Well done Graham, all you need know is a side draught for the 1397cc with some extractors and a sports exhausts(with no holes or it'll sound like mine).
    Perhaps speak to sunroof and see if you can source some white walls, they would really sit well on the original wheels and finish the look off.

Thanks for the feedback lads, I have installed a set of extractors that I had in my spares collection (John you have seen them) they are in excellent condition but aren't of tuned length...this bothers me...so I will be making a set of tuned length extractors in due course.

About the whitewalls...I have done a sample on an old tyre with masking tape and white etch paint and it looks pretty good, so I'll be doing the white wall treatment on my Nankangs soon..

If I like the whitewall look I'll buy a set of Continentals when they wear out.

Chris...I got that bonnet to fit proper after all...
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 10th September 2012 at 12:36 PM.

Default The Hard top

Nearly there..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride body rebuild.-007.jpg  

Icon14

Chris...I got that bonnet to fit proper after all...
    Excellent, big effort Graham, do you think your painting technique improved over the project?

I've been reading and watching youtube videos in readiness for topcoats, but even my undercoats are improving with each time I paint, hopefully by the time I get to colour I'll be able to get close to your result.

Roof looks like a bought one

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Chris,

Re Painting: This much I have learnt, the final coat(s) are only as good as the panel it is applied to and preparation is the key.

I have some glancing light defects which can only be seen when you get down on one knee and look hard, but they are there and they bug me so I will be painting the bonnet, boot lid and both doors again one at a time to try and get these reflective defects out ( I still have plenty of paint).

But the journey has been fairly full on and I hate to think how many hours I have put in, it would be many hundreds. This will not be my last restoration and the next one will be even better given the new skills aquired here. Hopefully my next resto can be a DS like yours...

"...how many hours I have put in .... many hundreds..."!!

I take my hat off to you. Lovely piece of work.

Chris,

Re Painting: This much I have learnt, the final coat(s) are only as good as the panel it is applied to and preparation is the key.

I have some glancing light defects which can only be seen when you get down on one knee and look hard, but they are there and they bug me so I will be painting the bonnet, boot lid and both doors again one at a time to try and get these reflective defects out ( I still have plenty of paint).

But the journey has been fairly full on and I hate to think how many hours I have put in, it would be many hundreds. This will not be my last restoration and the next one will be even better given the new skills aquired here. Hopefully my next resto can be a DS like yours...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Very sad case......

Thanks JW,

Of course there have been many mechanical repairs and upgrades as well, much of it learned from this magnificent forum and the people who inhabit therein.....thanks to all...

Default The hard top..part1

The hard top shell has been in my possession for years but I could never use it because all the bits were missing i.e glass, rubbers, trim strips, securing latches etc. everything , and it has taken years and lots of internet searching to find all the pieces.

I still have to fit a hood lining when I get around to it, more on that later .

There will be questions asked like where did I find all the hard top rubbers, and there are a few, so that will be described in another post.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride body rebuild.-030.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-042.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-047.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-049.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-045.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-044.jpg  

Renault Floride body rebuild.-043.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 19th September 2012 at 08:28 PM.

White wall, take a closer pic, I want to see if it's to your standards (and mine) and I might give it a go.
    It does look better though, that that it looked crap but you know what I mean.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Default How's that Buddy..?

You accusing me of having standards now...cheek.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride body rebuild.-004.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-028.jpg  

Floods?? I changed my mind you cant have my sand bag.

Hows the photos or standards?

The photo's are good but your standards are questionable.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    "...how many hours I have put in .... many hundreds..."!!

I take my hat off to you. Lovely piece of work.

What he said.

That, Graham, is a beautiful car.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet View Post
    What he said.

That, Graham, is a beautiful car.

Mike.
    Thanks Cats,

What's your verdict on the white walls...for or agin?

Default Undecided....

I thought whitewalls would be the icing on the cake for my 203. Really finish it off, and give it that certain something.From a distance they (and the car, errm, obviously) would look great.

But you will get curious types/weirdos? in Tesco's carpark who have a good close look at your handiwork and are more than happy to announce to the guy collecting the trolleys that ,"Hey, they're just painted".

Never looked into them, but if "real" whitewalls are available I couldn't afford 'em. (Having said that, I don't think I've ever seen a car with whitewall tyres?)

Put me down as a "Dunno"

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Default The hard top..part 2-rubbers

The hardtop rubbers came from far and wide and took a while to locate but are listed as follows..

Note: Rubber no.3 you will need to fit a spring about 7mm X 75mm long inside the rubber so it hugs the tight window curve without distorting too much.

Rubber no.3 is also used under the lower edge of the roof frame to seal against the main body of the car.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride body rebuild.-hardtop-rubbers-2.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-40a.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-41a.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-039.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-038a.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 22nd September 2012 at 11:02 AM.

Made up this nifty little alignment tool to get my door strikes millimeter perfect and the doors have never latched so well.

Well worth the effort.

Details attached.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride body rebuild.-002.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-pp.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-po.jpg  

Default Look what I got..

Look what I got on ebay...these things are as rare as a rocking horse's whinny.

Now just need a steering wheel to match.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride body rebuild.-%24-kgrhqj-n4f-f-lrbb-bqumsoem-g%7E%7E60_3.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 24th September 2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: spelling again

Default Micro surgery..

Had to make up two new window regulator cams without a lathe....don't try this without valium.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride body rebuild.-045.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-047.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-048.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-050.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-052.jpg   Renault Floride body rebuild.-053.jpg  

Renault Floride body rebuild.-067.jpg  

Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Thread Information