203 in progress - Page 7
  • Register
  • Help
Page 7 of 7 First ... 34567

Thread: 203 in progress

Calling Graham Wallace, the head they chose which was the only possible one turned out to have a crack almost all the way across it, almost broken in half.
    So I'll be needing another, except I'm seriously considering putting a 203 head on her as I have two with no cracks.
    Let me know what your heads are really like. I'm about over cracked heads.

Advertisement

Dan, I am 90% certain that I'm going to be discarding the engine from my 403 (early model), got any 403 bits you might like to trade for a head?
    Scotty

Brisbane

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2005 Peugeot 607 - 'Moet' - for sale

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

Thanks for the offer Scotty, I guess the only 403 stuff I have that's any good is gearboxes and diffs but I really don't want to part with them as they are likely to be called upon in the next few years once I'm up and running.
    Let me know how much filthy money you might want for it if that were an option.
    But I really think these nice 203 heads will come up well so I'll work on building a twin carb manifold after I get some extractors made. Till then the crossflow of the 403 head does little with such restricted exhaust as the standard 203 provides. With a healthy motor I may not even bother with such mods. The extra capacity may well be enough for satisfactory performance once I have compression.
    I discovered an interesting thing about both my 203 heads. They are the same pattern for the head gasket as the 403, meaning that the cutout to accommodate the piston is 80mm diameter so it will go straight on[after it's had valve seat inserts at the shop of course]. I have a very dilapidated 203 engine in the shed with the remains of a head gasket still clinging to it. This head gasket also has the 80mm openings though the bores are 75mm. Perhaps it was a 403 gasket or perhaps 203 gaskets are made exactly the same as 403 leaving a bit of space there at the top of the bore? Interesting thought.
    I'm sure someone will tell us.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    Thanks for the offer Scotty, I guess the only 403 stuff I have that's any good is gearboxes and diffs but I really don't want to part with them as they are likely to be called upon in the next few years once I'm up and running.
    Let me know how much filthy money you might want for it if that were an option.
    But I really think these nice 203 heads will come up well so I'll work on building a twin carb manifold after I get some extractors made. Till then the crossflow of the 403 head does little with such restricted exhaust as the standard 203 provides. With a healthy motor I may not even bother with such mods. The extra capacity may well be enough for satisfactory performance once I have compression.
    I discovered an interesting thing about both my 203 heads. They are the same pattern for the head gasket as the 403, meaning that the cutout to accommodate the piston is 80mm diameter so it will go straight on[after it's had valve seat inserts at the shop of course]. I have a very dilapidated 203 engine in the shed with the remains of a head gasket still clinging to it. This head gasket also has the 80mm openings though the bores are 75mm. Perhaps it was a 403 gasket or perhaps 203 gaskets are made exactly the same as 403 leaving a bit of space there at the top of the bore? Interesting thought.
    I'm sure someone will tell us.
    Yes, gaskets are the same, they must have known something!
    Such a pleasure to have parts commonality between models and even in the same model.
    403s had the same exhaust throughout, nowadays there are multiple variants, trying to stock all of this is a nightmare, no wonder parts are so expensive and hard to get.
    This was also the strong point of Datsuns years ago, a big reason why they were and are so popular.
    Graham

I always have wanted a 203 with more mod cons, an engine that had been warmed up to keep pace with today's traffic, some nice gearbox ratios and a few suspension tweaks, new seals, power windows and air-conditioning/heating. I'd drive it as my daily drive then. You could even drop in an Mi16 engine, rearrange the sump for RWD application and run it on carburetors to keep it period. Leyland make, or at least made rear drive vans using the XU motor as did Rover make a few cars with an XU engine, so the drivetrain would be there with some modification possibly to a ford?? gearbox... You'd keep the original drivetrain of course... One can dream.
    Last edited by orestes; 3rd February 2013 at 12:45 AM.

Tadpole

IS their a workshop manual available for the 203. I am busy restoring a 1959 203 and want to find out how big a job it is to replace the rear engine/gearbox mounting.

VIP Sponsor

Yes, but it doesn't cover that job.
    You would need a Haynes manual for this which doesn't exist
    You need to drop down the rear suspension then slide it back after undoing the 4 bolts at the back of the gear box.
    Do you have a new rear mount?

QUOTE=Arnold;1183823]IS their a workshop manual available for the 203. I am busy restoring a 1959 203 and want to find out how big a job it is to replace the rear engine/gearbox mounting.[/QUOTE]

Tadpole

Graham, I found a second hand one that is in a much better condition as the one in the car. I must also apologise for misreading the forum. Luthier and other members did answer my question a while back in another forum. Thanks again for that. Is the manual available somewhere ?

Page 7 of 7 First ... 34567

Thread Information