203 in progress - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last

Thread: 203 in progress

this is one of the most pleasing threads I've ever seen here.
    the 203, like the 205, remains an eternally endearing motor car,
    and your work on this one, and the sanity of your approach,
    is admirable. and the blue is beautiful. thanks too for the fine photos.

Advertisement

Thanks Lozenge, I appreciate that.

Very sweet looking Laverda by the way. I ride a 93 Guzzi Cali3 with old fashioned points and delinked brakes. It's a very nice thing. Just don't get to use it enough these days. Currently it needs tyres and rego. The missus and I like to go for a few rides on it in the country. Just cruising though, no fast stuff.

I think in future we'll go on the long trips in Toots.

the Laverda is not mine alas, but One That Got Away.
    I had a chance to buy an identical one many years
    ago but talked myself out of it. one of those things
    you think about at 4 in the morning... like why did
    I sell that last 450 Desmo? (well, the big end, again),
    or, for that matter, why didn't I ever buy a Guzzi?
    really must put a photo of the 205 there and stop
    torturing myself. all the best with the Luthier 203.

Tadpole

Luthier, I have to agree this is a great thread. I check daily for updates and look forward to reading how you are going. It is getting me all inspired, just need a car to play with now. I have just moved to sunny Lithgow and am in the process of buying a house here and it has a 4 car garage!! Never have I had so much space. Now to fill it!

Paul

Thanks for the enthusiasm guys. I made a bit of progress yesterday. Got the front indicators on[cheap trailer lights, $8.45 each] and the trim strips round the front. Fitted the trafficators/semiphores and those pesky roof rack mounts.
    They were a saga all in themselves, as when I took them off, the reinforcing plates that they screw into fell off inside the roof lining. This was before the big AF crash and a few guys advised me to just fit new roof lining, as I'd also need to run new wire. It seemed such a shame to wreck the lining which was in pretty good condition so I endeavoured to get round it by carefully parting it around front and back screens and managed to get enough access to remove the wiring and feed new wire as well as to recover and refit those roofrack internals. This time I glued them in place, but I won't be taking them off any time soon. The other detail with these was that they are solid brass, so I stripped and polished them. The hood lining is now reglued waiting for screens and rubbers.It has a couple of wrinkles that weren't there before but I can live with that.
    Although the semiphores are in place and operational, they are lacking the red plastic covers, but as I have an alternate indicator system that can wait.
    I took pics of the start of the mods to the rear indicators, showing how the reflector can be ground off to allow the indicator globe to shine through. Will post pics when I've fitted the globe holders.
    There's also a shot of the problem I have with the fuel cover, as it keeps on chipping paint off when I open it. I've tried to bend the pivot point but will have to try again. What a nuisance.
    Here you go, with a cupla'v art shots thrown in for good measure.

In order:
    Almost fully dressed at the front.
    Kermit has nothing on Toots.
    A nice shine but more polishing required.
    Repairing those trim strip holders, with drilled and tapped stainless bolts and the heads ground to fit.
    Fuel cover problem.
    Original taillight lense and reflector.
    Showing the light through reflector section after sanding the metal off.
    On the bench showing the surface after sanding.
    Semiphore, parking light[now indicator] and roof rack mount.

Tadpole

Wow, great pics and great work! Hope you get that pesky fuel flap sorted!

1000+ Posts

I don't know what has happened to Gordon Miller's parts. Graham Wallis might be able to advise. Gordon had some new plastic covers for Ducellier semaphores.
    On fitting a heater, the standard unit which didn't come here had door flaps opened and closed by hand and a fan for circulation. Gordon fitted one from a small Daihatsu to his. I think the 403b heater box is too bulky.
    Your model shared the 403 hub cap (used up to 1959) which was the same as yours but with Peugeot embossed in it. They are fairly common but the cost of re-chroming is so great it's best to wait for a good set. Makes very little difference to the appearance.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall View Post
    I don't know what has happened to Gordon Miller's parts. Graham Wallis might be able to advise. Gordon had some new plastic covers for Ducellier semaphores.
    On fitting a heater, the standard unit which didn't come here had door flaps opened and closed by hand and a fan for circulation. Gordon fitted one from a small Daihatsu to his. I think the 403b heater box is too bulky.
    Your model shared the 403 hub cap (used up to 1959) which was the same as yours but with Peugeot embossed in it. They are fairly common but the cost of re-chroming is so great it's best to wait for a good set. Makes very little difference to the appearance.
    203 heaters did come here as my mother had one in hers

i have also seen others

the 403 unit had the flaps operated by hand, the 203 didn't but it did have a fan and the two ports that connected up to the dash to warm the screen
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I can get a Hilux heater for $50 which I think might fit. If it doesn't I have a Hilux so it will be a spare.
    But it has two outlets at the top which should feed into the windscreen vents and is fairly basic but works very well. The only thing is I guess there is no outside airflow into the heater, as I can't see how there could be. This means it's all going to be recycled air, but if it's hot I don't care. I'll just have to make something to cover the ugliness.
    There may still be an original 203 heater on French Ebay, it was there a few days ago, but I can't imagine it would be any good. I never had much luck with my 403 heaters . I'm sorry, but it's one thing the japs are good at.
    OK glad about the hubcaps thanks Russell. I was under the impression that it should have had the centre bolted ones. I won't give them another thought.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    I can get a Hilux heater for $50 which I think might fit. If it doesn't I have a Hilux so it will be a spare.
    But it has two outlets at the top which should feed into the windscreen vents and is fairly basic but works very well. The only thing is I guess there is no outside airflow into the heater, as I can't see how there could be. This means it's all going to be recycled air, but if it's hot I don't care. I'll just have to make something to cover the ugliness.
    There may still be an original 203 heater on French Ebay, it was there a few days ago, but I can't imagine it would be any good. I never had much luck with my 403 heaters . I'm sorry, but it's one thing the japs are good at.
    OK glad about the hubcaps thanks Russell. I was under the impression that it should have had the centre bolted ones. I won't give them another thought.
    203 heaters don't have external air, they will only recirc the cabin air but as you say, so long as it's hot who cares

203 heaters have the hot water going through them all the time like a modern car but they only blow the hot/warm air out once you flick the switch and from memory there is no control on the temp output
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Luthier,
    While your front indicators are practical in a safety sense they do tend to leap out and grab you by the throat. Could you have sourced white Lucas lenses from a Landy or similar ?

The heater year round control could be controlled by an under bonnet tap. {Try a hydraulic supplier].

Re The late GRM's stuff, I believe a lot of it was auctioned off? I've also seen Peugeot stuff offered for sale on this forum. Some of Gordon's stuff I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Luthier,
    While your front indicators are practical in a safety sense they do tend to leap out and grab you by the throat. Could you have sourced white Lucas lenses from a Landy or similar ?

Agreed mate, I particularly like the original French ones and they will be on my shopping list once I'm past the initial rego and back on the road stage. They take up the same space from all appearances, although they look like they need a big hole to house the back rubber section. Either that or they mount either side of the panel, I can't tell from the photos.

There are a few things like that on this car that will take time to get the money for. Right now I'm aiming for rego as soon as possible without cutting too many corners.
    Another glaring example is the rear bumper which needs rechroming and rolling. But I'd rather try to source some French bumpers when the time is right. I'm not aiming for concourse, just a good solid well presented daily driver.

The heater year round control could be controlled by an under bonnet tap. {Try a hydraulic supplier].
    If I end up using the Hilux unit, it comes with a water switch under the bonnet which I'll operate from one of the superfluous cables on the dash. It wasn't connected to anything. The other one which was the advance/retard will make a nice progressive heater vent opener. I'll have to work out how to organise the switch that distributes the air to the screen or the hands/feet. This is a slider on the hilux so it will probably fit along the underside of the dash. It will also have a progressive fan slider.

Fellow Frogger!

I have a set of 4 new 203 centre bolt on hubcaps that I purchased several years ago. To date I have not been able to source wheels that have the centre female bit to accept the bolt. If you have the wheels pm me and we will see if the hubcaps change hands.
    I think we might even have an original heater or even two but lots of money changed hands for us to get those.

FLASH

Fellow Frogger!

Default 203

Love your blue, sames as my 403, have to get a pic of them together !

domed front parking lights that dont require big holes in the guards are available from JW Classic Spares in Vic $10 each.
    if you want a pic email me
    cheers

Thanks Alpine, I'll get onto those indicators.
    Flash, I sent you a PM to say I'll pass on the hubcaps but I could be interested in a heater depending on price and condition.
    Yesterday I almost finished stripping the doors and sills, but it was very damp today so I left spraying for another day.
    Today I spent a fair while making the inserts for the tail lights. As you'll see I fixed a festoon into the area behind the reflector which I am grinding the inner reflection metal off to allow the indicator light to shine through.
    As well I changed the original double bayonet to a pair of festoons for tail and brake. The extra festoon was made by butchering a Gibson electric guitar pickup selector switch which has nice insulation, an easy soldering point, and is springy. I simply used pop rivets to fix things together.
    I've hooked them up temporarily and they work great.
    Now I just have to finish the lacquer on the mounts, which were only roughly coloured.

Last edited by luthier; 16th April 2011 at 06:59 PM.

make sure you put a reflective backing in there otherwise once it is all on the car you are going to have a hard time seeing anything
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Not so mate. It's on the car although it's coming off again and all the lights are very bright. It's an 18watt for the indicator, 10watt stop and 5watt tail. Yep, works fine.

Today I got quite a bit of spraying done on the doors and sills despite the weather.
    Over Easter I had to move her around a bit during the preparation. This gave us some memorable Easter moments with the grandkids enjoying a small ride.

1000+ Posts

The finish and colour look good in the light.

Fellow Frogger!

I am enjoying the ride watching the 203 take shape. Your smile matches those of your grandkids.
    A little hint, with the rear lights I put a bit of aluminium foil in the back of the light box behind the globes. It is amazing how much increase in light you get just by doing that.
    FLASH

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    make sure you put a reflective backing in there otherwise once it is all on the car you are going to have a hard time seeing anything
    Not so mate. It's on the car although it's coming off again and all the lights are very bright. It's an 18watt for the indicator, 10watt stop and 5watt tail. Yep, works fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Car 76 View Post
    I am enjoying the ride watching the 203 take shape. Your smile matches those of your grandkids.
    A little hint, with the rear lights I put a bit of aluminium foil in the back of the light box behind the globes. It is amazing how much increase in light you get just by doing that.
    FLASH
    exactly what i stated earlier.........................................
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

The extra festoon was made by butchering a Gibson electric guitar pickup selector switch which has nice insulation, an easy soldering point, and is springy. I simply used pop rivets to fix things together.
    I always thought Gibsons must be good for something!!!

Looking good, Monsieur Luthier

Well, told twice is better than once isn't it? Looks like that foil is a must. Thankyou gentlemen I will attend to it.
    Russell , when you see it up close and personal I hope you won't be too disappointed, but the camera is somewhat kinder than my eye at least.
    Good spotting Binky, nice that you are paying attention. That Gibson switch was a real stroke of luck, as I was trying to temper bits of brass and then find appropriate washers. I happened to have a leaf of one of those switches in my box of miscellaneous washers which is how I thought of it. Then I had to go and wreck another one for the other side. If only I'd kept all those old ones that I replaced over the years.
    Speaking of wrecking, I delved further into my dead 406 till I could run a tape measure over the heater, but it's definitely way too cumbersome for the 203, even if I could work out how to get the dash off. How do they assemble those things? It's a nightmare. It's looking like the windscreen might need to come out first. I'll leave it there till someone needs a dash with a good airbag.Or the whole thing goes to the tip. It's good to have the parts though, even if there are minor differences between the 96 and the 99 models. Like the speedo drive I had to swap yesterday which required a mod to fit the plug. What happened to the Peugeot philosophy of keeping things the same for a decade or two? But sorry, those thoughts belong on a different thread.

Looks great, Dan. Spot-on.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 203

Great progress Dan, well done, lots of smiles, everyone must be enjoying themselves .
    keep this enjoyable thread well fed

Cheers

Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last

Thread Information