Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics - Page 6
  • Register
  • Help
Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I'd suggest the steering twitchiness might actually have been the car taking a while to train the driver.... You'd know the CX takes a bit of getting used to until you are trained and gradually realise that all the other cars are wrong.

Now, I'd suggest first the book and then the film.

Advertisement

Enjoy the car!
    Thanks for the comments John, I definitely think that it was air in the system and not a lack of acquaintance with the mannerisms of the mechanism. I had done a number of short trips of 10 - 15 km whilst sorting the car but it was not until the car was asked to perform at a constant 95KPH that the twitchiness became apparent. I believe that air may have still have been trapped in the centrifugal governor which of course regulates the pressure on the control unit slide valve that was responsible for fluctuations of pressure and hence the twitchy behaviour. I certainly was not making the mistake of choking the steering wheel or of releasing the wheel to self centre as is common to most first time CX drivers. Once the air cleared through the system the steering became magnificent.

Now I am waiting for another burst of fine weather to take a few quality photos to round out the resto thread!
    Cheers Gerry

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Now I am waiting for another burst of fine weather to take a few quality photos to round out the resto thread!
    Look forward to seeing the photos Gerry, good to see the car is out and about, I bet you're smiling from ear to ear

Enjoy you've certainly earned it.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Gerry has done an incredible job. I've never seen stainless steel shine like it does on his CX either. All of the stainless trim reflects like chrome, but doesn't look like chrome. I can't imagine buffing all those fragile stainless parts, but he managed it

Gerry is right, I have always thought the C-matic was as waste of time .... and have been known to throw them away and fit manual gearboxes. After all, there not a proper manual, yet not a slugomatic either ....

Now as a hobby car they make way more sense than a manual or full slugomatic. There truly weird like a Citroen should be I have a straight rust free C-matic in storage here that I intend to tidy up someday. I grabbed it about a decade ago when no-one wanted them, and they weren't rusty. Maybe I should send it down to Gerry to start on next

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thanks for the comments John, I definitely think that it was air in the system and not a lack of acquaintance with the mannerisms of the mechanism. I had done a number of short trips of 10 - 15 km whilst sorting the car but it was not until the car was asked to perform at a constant 95KPH that the twitchiness became apparent. I believe that air may have still have been trapped in the centrifugal governor which of course regulates the pressure on the control unit slide valve that was responsible for fluctuations of pressure and hence the twitchy behaviour. I certainly was not making the mistake of choking the steering wheel or of releasing the wheel to self centre as is common to most first time CX drivers. Once the air cleared through the system the steering became magnificent.

Twas a joke. Although with a non-CX person it does take a while to adjust....

Great to see the car is going.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Yes I can accept that as a joke!
    Cheers Gerry

Yes I can accept that as a joke!
    Thought it would be OK - not too explicitly worded thought, I do concede! I remember first coming to grips with my CX and her gradual progress in teaching me to drive the right way. They are quite remarkable cars.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    They are quite remarkable cars.
    You are not wrong there!
    Cheers Gerry

Here are a few Pics of the car at Port Fairy!
    Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-img_0335.jpgGerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-img_0343.jpgGerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-img_0344.jpgGerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-img_0345.jpgGerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-img_0346.jpgGerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-img_0329.jpgGerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-img_0325.jpgGerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-img_0324.jpg
    GreenBlood and JohnW like this.
    Cheers Gerry

That's lovely Gerry. Just lovely. Thanks for posting.

Can you recall where you got the rubbing strips - I presume they are glued on?

Ours has a very frustrating intermittent LHM leak, not small, but hopefully we'll find it this week. Otherwise going well.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

The rubbing strips are the original ones John. However I did search for quite a while for some spare inserts and some spare plastic ends. They were then carefully cut and matched to go with the original strips and assembled to make up for the shrinkage that had occurred. If you look closely it is possible to find the joins. The strips were then mounted on 3M double sided trim tape! This also served to secure the plastic end pieces!
    Cheers Gerry

Very nice Gerry. Thanks for the information.

Regards
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456

Thread Information