Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 6 First 123456 Last
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics

What an impressive effort. Really impressed with the door cards and also keen to know who did them please

Advertisement
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Rob they are original cards. I was just lucky! Many thanks to Shane.
    Cheers Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Just looking at your photos again, always inspires me, and on the boot lid I noticed two things. You painted white all the way up and didn't put the black strip in. I am assuming that is a choice decision. Did you do that last time you painted it? Have any impact on rear vision?

Second, what is the badge you have placed on the right hand fac of the boot?

Thanks, back to looking at a few more photos.

Laurie

Gerry, a further question after looking at your pictures. I see that you have used about 8 of the black clips/guides on the fixed rear windows. The diagrams or installation show 4 - an reason for using more?

Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by laurie_lewis View Post
    Hi Gerry,

Just looking at your photos again, always inspires me, and on the boot lid I noticed two things. You painted white all the way up and didn't put the black strip in. I am assuming that is a choice decision. Did you do that last time you painted it? Have any impact on rear vision?

Second, what is the badge you have placed on the right hand fac of the boot?

Thanks, back to looking at a few more photos.

Laurie
    Pat is not a fan of blackout panels. So I have always had it white and did it that way again.
    The badge is a CCOCA badge and has a traction as its motif.
    I had that badge on it before in place of the very poor looking C-Matic emblem.
    As for the black plastic clips on the rear glass I put in the same number as was on it when I removed the glass. They were available from Andrew Brodie in England back in the year 2001. I do not know if they can still be obtained, but I am glad I purchased them. Makes holding the stainless in place a breeze. The originals were all broken and last time I had the trimss hel with double sided tape-----NOT satisfactory!
    Cheers Gerry

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Pat is not a fan of blackout panels. So I have always had it white and did it that way again.
    The badge is a CCOCA badge and has a traction as its motif.
    I had that badge on it before in place of the very poor looking C-Matic emblem.
    As for the black plastic clips on the rear glass I put in the same number as was on it when I removed the glass. They were available from Andrew Brodie in England back in the year 2001. I do not know if they can still be obtained, but I am glad I purchased them. Makes holding the stainless in place a breeze. The originals were all broken and last time I had the trimss hel with double sided tape-----NOT satisfactory!
    Cheers Gerry
    Yes, the clips are still available. I got a batch of them from Miles last year. They're actually quite cheap (under 2.00/ea), but be aware there are two different sizes, depending on the thickness of your glass.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

It was a great pleasure to see this car in the flesh recently. It is the closest thing to a brand new CX that I'm sure I'll ever see, with attention to original detail that leaves you speechless. I admit I was more focussed on the Tractions on my visit. What an inspiration..and to think he stands ready to advise on restoration of my (originally his!) 64 DS 19 Pallas!

Incredible, Gerry.

Tim

At last the front door trims are now in place. They needed the door bins and pockets changing for non faded items and also the hole cut for the electric mirror switch.
    Cheers Gerry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-dsc03890.jpg   Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-dsc03889.jpg  

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I can't wait to see this car on the roads, it's going to look amazing

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Slow progress being made at the moment. At last the rims have all been soda blasted by a very efficient firm in Colac. They came back etch primed and undercoated and were sent to the local panel shop for a two pack finish in AC140. The painter was able to reference the code on line to come up with the exact formula.
    Incidentally for all of you who are still criticising the use of powder coated finishes I have it on good authority from the blasting operator that the original finish for these wheels is Powder Coating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-dsc03911.jpg   Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-dsc03912.jpg   Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-dsc03913.jpg   Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-dsc03914.jpg   Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-dsc03915.jpg  

I dont doubt that. The original finish is quite hard, just like powder coat..

At Last! The windscreen goes in. Hains Windscreens in Beaufort came to the car and did the install for $300 all up. Very reasonable considering that there is an hour and a half travel time involved.
    Adding the screen is kind of like putting the star on the top of the Christmas tree.
    Many thanks to Shane for all of his generous support.

Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-dsc03972.jpgGerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-dsc03975.jpg
    Last edited by gerrypro; 13th December 2012 at 08:54 AM.
    Cheers Gerry

I think I have finally sorted out the electrics------most things worked straight up, BUT!!!!!!! No solenoid feed from the loom, no boot light, no horns and no interior light.
    I had to rip the lower dash apart to get at the ignition switch--------oops! I had the wrong white connectors plugged together-----easy fix and power is now at the red connector along side the battery to feed the solenoid. Still no joy on the starter motor! Out it comes! -----Pull down on the bench and "Stupid" had forgotten to seat the field brush on the commie. A full clean and check to set the engagement and back into the car. WOW it turns over!!!!!!!!!
    The interior light was a bit of a puzzle-------- It seems that three sets of wires are needed-----one to earth through the front door switches and the master switch, one for the rear door earth switches, and where in the hell is the power??????? I had a grey wire running to the reading lights at the rear and they worked after a bit of a clean. So there must be another wire coming out of the feed for these lights and it is probably grey just like the diagram in the manual says it should be. I removed the dome light and poked around with my finger-------Yes there it is ( "Silly Bugger") I had forgotten to poke that one through with the other two wire sets. The earths piggy back together on a double blade connector. OK, so now they work well!!
    Boot light, Yes there is current at the globe but no light---------Hang on that is an earthing switch too! I changed the gravity activated switch for the new one I had bought all those years ago -----Eureka It works!
    Horns --------easy to get the standard one working just connect it to the loom ( I've been a silly bugger again ) Now for the air horns----nothing----Relays in! Relays out! Relays dismantled and checked for operation! Still nothing! Air horn compressor out! Yep that works. Test light on the power supply to the relay connector block-------All OK! But still no horn! Then it dawned----- a quick lever on each connector with a screw driver to increase the pressure on the blades of the relay-----------BINGO!
    Next item on the agenda --------That motor needs to run!! ----------------Story coming soon to this thread!
    Cheers Gerry

You must be getting excited..... How long before she's travelling the roads do you think ? Well done sorting out the wiring. There a bloody rats nest those early CX's

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

UFO

Will we see the car at Griffith Cit In?

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Will we see the car at Griffith Cit In?
    Hi Craig, I am afraid that will not be possible. There is still much in the way of fine tuning to be done. Maybe next year???? My aim is to have the car at the CCCV Concourse in October.
    Cheers Gerry

UFO

Ah well, CCCV have their turn for Cit In next year, so hopefully we'll see it then.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Exhaust System prepared and fitted.

Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-dsc03543.jpg
    Hi Gerry

Love your work.

Just wondering if the exhaust wrap shown in the picture is for sound or heat insulation? Or both? Do you have previous experience with the product?

Cheers,
    John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Hi John, It is for both purposes. I hope it works because as Shane can testify CXs get quite hot inside even with that heat shield that can be seen above the muffler. No I haven't used this approach before.
    Cheers Gerry

It's almost time for 'Switch On'. All electrical issues have been addressed, including the ignition and the air horns which refused to be tuned on the high tone. Just about to add "PETROL"--------------Bu***er, Red fluid under the car and also a little green!!!!!! No not LHM just coolant! The clamp to the preheat on the manifold seems to be the issue------not too hard to fix------Tighten the clamp????? No still leaks OH damn I will have to drop the coolant and remove the offending hose. It is possibly a little bit of grit or something is stopping the clamp from tightening the hose down properly.
    Now the red fluid-----------TQF--------- Investigation shows a slight weep from the RH output seal plate! This of course is a real Pr**k to fix properly. The drive shaft has to come out after the fluid has been drained from the diff, before the seal plate can be removed and resealed.
    I guess it wouldn't be a Citroen if annoying little things didn't go wrong---------Right?
    Cheers Gerry

Why dont' you drive it around for a bit, everything may "move around" a bit and the diff seals will start working. Nothing is painful after owning a renault with the crazy leaky gearbox/driveshaft design on the R12's etc

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

It'll be the O ring seal around the seal carrier, and it is probably something stupid stopping it from doing its job properly--------I had to open the rear diff casing up a while ago once the engine had been fitted. I could not find the worm drive for the steering governor cable. I was paranoid that it had dropped into the housing and would get jammed. I eventually found the drive in a "Safe Place" . The problem may have occurred when refitting the housing and side seals. there is not much working room in there! The left is as dry as, but the right weeps ever so slightly, but enough to wet the chassis and of course once on the chassis, it goes everywhere.
    Cheers Gerry

Water leak -----Easy-------The culprit was an original Citroen hose clamp that had reached the end of its teeth and would not tighten any further. Quick System drain-------remove hose -----cut off old end and refit with a more suitable clamp seating on unworn section of hose!!
    TQF Fluid leak -------- tightened all bolts and hope for the best -------so far so good no trace of fluid on chassis.
    Cheers Gerry

Still leaking-----------Damned side plate seal for sure---------Had it all apart yesterday, drive shaft out and all! The O ring seal looks OK but replaced along with some 'Silastic' added as insurance. All back together and today no sign of ATF outside the box. About time!
    Just as well I checked all of these areas -----I found while I was delving in the depths near the steering column that I only had 8x25mm. bolts in the flexible coupling--------Not enough thread to make a sound fixing! ---------Threads need to protrude at least 3 turns for safety. A quick check of the Parts Manual revealed the these bolts should have been 8x30mm. There is not much room to swing a spanner in there but the offending parts have been replaced with the correct size!
    Cheers Gerry

There are now two of the replica under bonnet stickers fitted. Many thanks to Greenblood. His generosity is overwhelming. Quality and attention to authenticity is amazing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-dsc03979.jpg   Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics-dsc03977.jpg  
    Cheers Gerry

Page 3 of 6 First 123456 Last

Thread Information