DS Pallas Restoration - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: DS Pallas Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    ... I have decided to go to Beige Tholonet, which was also on the chart for a ‘73 Pallas.
    Nice job. and very comprehensive resto.

Advertisement

You thinking of going pure mid 70's matching the metalic Beige Tholonet with the caramel interior?

or green?

CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Well I have a set of Green seats and am making some door cards to match.

But I am thinking that ideally I would like one day to combine the Beige Tholonet with Tabac leather.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Well, one step forward, though there were a few backward ones to get here.

My roof is now painted and bonded back on the car. It would have been done last week but fo huge problems with the paint. I had originally sanded the roof back to what seemed like a very sound factory applied base coat. 4 or 5 coats of acrylic primer followed by 4 of metallic and three of clear coat looked great, until I put it in the sun. Little soft blisters everywhere seemingly originating in that "sound" base coat.

Two days sanding back the fresh paint to the gel coat followed by lots of two pack primer and I was back to where I started. The roof is now on the car, bonded with Sikaflex 291.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Pallas Restoration-roof-.jpg  
    Michael

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Icon6

Looking really good Michael, these cars look every bit as good with and witout clothes

Impressive workshop there too...

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Looking really good Michael, these cars look every bit as good with and without clothes

Impressive workshop there too...

Cheers
    Chris
    Hmmm, you ogling my naked Goddess??

Unfortunately the workshop is not mine. It manufactures trailers and I begged a little space in exchange for a modest rent. Unfortunately the business has been sold and I must vacate next week.

I was also lucky to have a deal to use the spray booth next door which is why I have been able to make some progress.
    Michael

I think I have maybe two days full time work aligning all the panels on my DS. Everything is on the car and opens and shuts but the panel gaps are all very wrong
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Pallas Restoration-front-panels.jpg   DS Pallas Restoration-front-qtr-panels.jpg   DS Pallas Restoration-rear-panels.jpg   DS Pallas Restoration-rear-qtr-panels.jpg  
    Michael

Icon6

I think I have maybe two days full time work aligning all the panels on my DS. Everything is on the car and opens and shuts but the panel gaps are all very wrong
    Wow Michael, you don't let the grass grow beneath your feet, rapid progress
    You'll get those panels gaps sorted, I think the program is to start at the front and work back, each panel should be a couple of fag papers behind the panel in front - but you no doubt know that.

I see you have the rear glass in place, you were having trouble, any tips for us following in your footsteps?

Love the colour

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    You'll get those panels gaps sorted, I think the program is to start at the front and work back, each panel should be a couple of fag papers behind the panel in front - but you no doubt know that.

I see you have the rear glass in place, you were having trouble, any tips for us following in your footsteps?

Love the colour

Cheers
    Chris
    I have been reading 814-1 re panel fit and whilst I agree the order seems to be to start at the front and work back, each panel seems to be set up with reference to the panel behind it... maybe I should start with the boot as that has the least adjustment range!

I was relieved to drive the car out of the shared workshop today. I have taken it home to refit electrical and trim items.

On another matter I put it up on a hoist today to do a few other jobs and an oil and filter change. It has probably not had an oil change for over ten years when it was last registered.The filter plate was not assembled correctly being out by approx 45 degs! The motor ran ok when I bought it and seemed to have reasonable oil pressure and low crankcase pressure so hopefully it has not done any serious damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Pallas Restoration-leaving-silverwood.jpg   DS Pallas Restoration-oil-filter.jpg  
    Michael

I hope the big ends aren't knackered.
    These things run about 500 klicks before they give up under this condition.

Any scary stuff in the strainer or filter?

I will have to wait and see Daffy! There was not much to be found in the strainer or the filter except a lot of sludge.

The car desperately needs engine mounts so there is a good deal of noise but I can not identify any big end or main bearing noises.
    Michael

The DS is home and now the real work begins. So many parts to rebuild and install.
    I had done some work on the headlight buckets and installed a pair of Narva semi sealed beams from Repco. Inevitably the front end wiring was a mess and it took a while to fix the bullet connectors. It seemed best to fit a relay system to supply power for long range and headlights so as to reduce current in the headlight switch and tired old wiring. I was going to build the new harness from scratch but found a kit on Ebay which was a godsend.

Some dry joints in the PCB of the instrument panel took a bit of time to find. The lack of pressure warning light though was due to a faulty switch on the brake pedal assembly which was mentioned in another thread as was the replacement of brake accumulator and steering wheel.
    The paint still needs colour sanding and buffing so I have not yet put all the trim back on the car. Still to come is some interior work including roof lining and seatbelts. Hopefully a blue slip in the next few weeks.... the car has been off the road for ten years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Pallas Restoration-02042011731.jpg   DS Pallas Restoration-02042011732.jpg  
    Michael

Your car is looking fantastic Michael. Slow and steady sure wins the race for a great job.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Time for an update.

I said at the beginning of this thread that I hoped to get the rebuild project completed before my 60th birthday. My birthday is here so it is time to admit defeat though I have made some progress. Work pressures have slowed me over the last few weeks and I find myself tantalizingly close to having the car on the road.

When I bought the car it was partly dismantled and had been off the road for ten years.

The car is now painted in acrylic metallic and clear (Beige Thonolet) but not yet colour sanded except for the roof. I have got the gutter trim and trumpets back on and the car looks almost complete but being a Pallas there is also all the other stainless trim to fit still.

The headlights are now fitted with Narva semi sealed H4 beams glued into the cut down reflectors of the original lights. All power now runs through three relays mounted on the battery carrier and Techbuy found me a good light switch from his D Special he is wrecking plus a set of sun visors and many other bits and pieces!

I got replacement mirror glass from Retrospec. I chose the convex style for both sides and I think the resulting rear view is good. I have convex mirrors on my other modern cars so I have got used to them. Probably need a new Bee Sting antenna but it will do for now. I know that it will be many years before I get all the details right. Anyone got any Pallas wheel trims??

The engine compartment is much better with many parts cleaned and repainted. Richo rebuilt the brake sphere and I rebuilt the high pressure pump myself on the garden table.... i got it right on the second attempt with a little advice and assistance from David S, some parts from Fento and a set of seals from Roger Parker ! I still need to replace the engine mounts, that is a job for this weekend. The engine sounds sweet and I will fit a second hand stainless steel exhaust when I have finished the mounts.

The dashboard is a mess with holes hacked for a red led digital clock and the radio but one day I will fit a new panel. For now it is reasonably tidy. I sewed a leather cover over a weathered steering wheel and there is a lovely new brake lever aperture rubber (Thanks Loudel !)

I was very lucky to get the leather interior from a now dismantled DS which I think looks fantastic. (Thanks Steve!) The combination of Beige and Tabac is, I think, classy. I just could not have lived with the Verte Argent/Green interior combination the car was built with. The windows I tinted with a 30% film to protect the interior. I tinted the side windows myself but the rear window had me beat so it is currently with an expert.

I still need the aforementioned engine mounts, a set of tyres and rego. This week I had the wheels sand blasted and tonight I sprayed them with the first coat of Rust Guard paint thinned 20% with turps. Two coats of that and plenty of time to harden before they go back to the tyre fitters.

I am pleased I did almost all the work on this car myself from grinding and welding through painting and trim work. Admittedly it is not all 100% professional but I have really enjoyed the process. Far from being older than when I started it has had a rejuvenating effect and I have many new friends. I am sure I am going to enjoy many years of driving enjoyment. The car is sound and rust free, that has to be a good start.

Many thanks to all the great people on Aussie Frogs and at CCCNSW for parts, encouragement and advice. Some time soon I will have the car on the road gladly pointing out my failures but happy with the result all the same.
    Michael

Tadpole

Michael ,

Glad that i sold it to you

Pat on the back there , Happy to see you actually done her up as it deserved it , Hope she drives as she looks.

Cheers

Philippe

Icon12

Time for an update.

I am pleased I did almost all the work on this car myself from grinding and welding through painting and trim work. Admittedly it is not all 100% professional but I have really enjoyed the process. Far from being older than when I started it has had a rejuvenating effect and I have many new friends. I am sure I am going to enjoy many years of driving enjoyment. The car is sound and rust free, that has to be a good start.
    That is an astounding achievement Michael, a real credit to you. To bring a car back from the brink is one thing but you have done more than that! From one that is all too aware of the many pitfalls and challenges and of course the rewards I salute you

Now get her on the road and enjoy

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Hi Michael,

When you go to the tyre fitters, ask that they use the stick on weights that go on the inside of the wheels. They'll baulk and say that it's difficult, but it can be done.

It's worth doing this way as the weights that they would otherwise clip onto the face side of your newly painted wheels will chip your new paint and they will also foul the hub caps and cause them to stand too proud of the wheels and I'd guess fall off if they're loose.

The seats look great by the way. As does the rest of the car. I look forward to seeing it.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

That looks fantastic. They really do look far better with the headlight housings painted body colour too

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

You have done a wonderful job Michael. Hope you enjoy many years of driving your classic.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Quote Originally Posted by Bounge View Post
    Michael ,

Glad that i sold it to you

Pat on the back there , Happy to see you actually done her up as it deserved it , Hope she drives as she looks.

Cheers

Philippe
    Thanks Philippe,

You really looked after me with all the odd and ends you included in the sale. The set of 4 doors from the "flood" came up well and I have mostly figured out where all the other boxes of bits go

I will be around to show you the car when it is on the road!

See you at the French Car Day?
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    That looks fantastic. They really do look far better with the headlight housings painted body colour too

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Yes, not quite the right colour! Actually it is not "body colour" but I sprayed them with a can of Mazda "Champagne Silver" I had. I wanted a warmer colour to go with the Beige Thonolet.
    Michael

Well that DS looks just lovely and you can park it in my driveway anyday you like!

Thanks Philippe,

You really looked after me with all the odd and ends you included in the sale. The set of 4 doors from the "flood" came up well and I have mostly figured out where all the other boxes of bits go

I will be around to show you the car when it is on the road!

See you at the French Car Day?

Hi ,

Michael would be nice to see her but i have moved from parramatta and now in guildford west , but i will be at the french car day , i look forward to seeing you there

oh and i do now have a new project a 63 ID19 aussie built i just love the early ones and could not let this car pass under my nose

It was easy really! I don't know why I put off doing the engine mounts for so long. Following instructions from SKP and the loan of the hard to get Crows Foot spanners, (Thanks very much Stuart) it all went smoothly with no more equipment than two axle stands and a bottle jack.

But removing the flexi exhaust pipe and re attaching took about two hours

The passenger side mount was not so bad but the exhaust side had completely collapsed and was bulging out the bottom. No wonder there was some vibration
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Pallas Restoration-engine-mounts.jpg  
    Michael

I have had a couple of productive weekends. Unfortunately I have had to work all week for the last couple of months which has slowed be down a bit. On the plus side extra work results in extra income so I don't feel so guilty spending on my Goddess. Not that it ever stopped me

Last weekend was a great one for cosmetics as I fitted a new windscreen plus swapped over the rear glass for one I had tinted. It really lifted the appearance but there was no way I could get the new windscreen seal in single handed.. after 4 hours of frustration I gave up and fitted the new screen with the old rubber. Maybe I need to take it to an expert, but DS windscreen experts are scarce on the ground I think.

I also fitted a set of seat belts, inertia reel, in the front so now the car is ready for a blue slip, not that it is "finished" but at least it is road worthy. I will make a posting elsewhere as the company I bought from, SeatSafe, was not only very helpful and efficient but also agreed to a 10% discount for any customer from Aussie Frogs. Ask for Kerry.

This weekend was again beautiful weather and again with it's fair share of frustration. I fitted a set of front pads which I bought from Gus at CCC NSW (what a great service!) and while I was at it thought I should change the transmission oil. All I got out was 1 liter of iced coffee How does the water get in? It was definitely emulsified. I put back a couple of liters of fresh oil and will drain it again after the car is on the road and warm.

I also had the pleasure of pulling the regulator to swap the sphere for a new one I had bought. The old one was a welded sphere dated 1995 and at a CCC NSW Tech Day had shown barely acceptable pressure one year ago. I interpreted the rapid pump cycling time as being due to a low pressure accumulator. After much cursing (my french is improving) and contortions the new welded sphere was in place so I fired her up... and the pump cycle is unchanged . How can this be since I know that old accumulator was low on pressure? I wish I had checked the pressure of the new sphere before installation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Pallas Restoration-july1.jpg   DS Pallas Restoration-july2.jpg  
    Michael

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread Information